fg 2 speed clutch question help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renbar

ok ive just fitted a genuine fg 2 speed setup running 22/42 1st gear and 26/38 2nd ive read you wont hear a gear change with only a 2 tooth difference hence my gearing so I should hear something even slightly

the one way bearing works fine the 2nd gear engagement pin is good

now this is were im stumped fg instuctions show the clutch pawl thingy positioned so the pawl engages the pin but by jamming against the pin and not hitting the pin as it would the other way around which makes sense to me I cant understand why the fg instructions show it that way???

ive read most the threads on here about 2 speeds but one posts saying it goes one way another says another way,, ive googled images and its the same one fitted one way another fitted opposite way

come on somebody using a 2 speed that's working must know what way round the clutch part goes ive fitted mine both ways and tried it with 22/42 24/40 but couldn't tell if it was changing or not,, haven't tried it yet with the taller 2nd gear which I should hear change as its quite a jump in ratio

I know what you are saying it does not look right but I set mine up exactly as the instructions say to and it works every time.You may have your adjustment screw turned in too tight . Unscrew the screw until the pawl drops. Now turn the screw clockwise until the pawl goes back up into the shifter. When you look at the screw it should be flush in the hole now turn it in 2 .5-3 turns this should get you in the ball park.

I did have it that way mate and couldn't tell if it was changing maybe due to not much change in the ratio but with the taller gears im hoping I will be able to tell I will change the clutch back round tomorrow and see its just one post say this one says that just needed to hear it from somebody who's got one that works lol cheers

scoot ive got it in bits right now mate im looking at it as you've posted above ive undone the adjustment screw until the pawl drops and my set screw is now flush and the pawl is loose it comes all the way out with no spring tension 1 1/2 turns and the pawl is back flush and feels ok but if I go in more with the screw it becomes very stiff but does still move,, it honestly feels good with just 2 turns from flush im thinking the spring maybe a bit old

how stiff is your pawl/spring can you move it easy by hand

No , Renbar it is hard to move the pawl on my 2 speed. 2 turns in sounds about right to get it just right you are going to have to run it. Don't put any red locktight on the allen screw or the retainer screw that keeps the 2 speed unit on the shaft until you have the shift point adjusted just right. And I always allow 24 hrs for the locktight to set.

think ive sorted it now mate ive drilled a 4mm hole through 2nd gear and alloy carrier so I can adjust with out removing the gearing so its all back together as fg recommends with red locktight and set the screw at 2-1/2 turns,, im starting to think now It was set to early as ive mainly used 22/42 gearing since having the car so know how it goes but last outing it was going faster but without the bottom end of the 22/42

just need it to stop raining now for some testing only now I can adjust it without removing which is a godsend and so much quicker

im going to change the shift pin next for a fg shock screw as its a bit stronger and thicker plus I want to change the 2nd gear for a 24/40 as the 26/38 is just to tall for the space ive got but that involves changing the carrier as the one I have only fits a 38 gear

will do mate I just drilled a 4mm hole through gear and alloy hub just go in middle of a tooth try and go in at a slight angle so you can get to the set screw with a 3mm hex tool

will post some pics later tonight as im off to the Zenoah challenge cup for the day so wont have chance till later

its a mod I found online somewhere and its so simple fg should have done it make life so much better lol mines been on off and on again so many times its a joke

think ive sorted it now mate ive drilled a 4mm hole through 2nd gear and alloy carrier so I can adjust with out removing the gearing so its all back together as fg recommends with red locktight and set the screw at 2-1/2 turns,, im starting to think now It was set to early as ive mainly used 22/42 gearing since having the car so know how it goes but last outing it was going faster but without the bottom end of the 22/42

just need it to stop raining now for some testing only now I can adjust it without removing which is a godsend and so much quicker

im going to change the shift pin next for a fg shock screw as its a bit stronger and thicker plus I want to change the 2nd gear for a 24/40 as the 26/38 is just to tall for the space ive got but that involves changing the carrier as the one I have only fits a 38 gear
...........You might consider getting the heavy duty 2sp shifter sold by FG Modelsports over here in the states. And your suggestion that you drill a hole inbetween the teeth on the 2nd speed gear to adjust the shift points kinda makes me worry that it may weakin the gear and cause teeth to chip on the gear but you won't know that until you try it out:eek: Keep us informed on the results.

honesty don't know about the gear lasting but its only a 4mm hole and it don't cut to much of the tooth so who knows only time will tell lol if it goes wrong then its a new gear and I wont drill it out it cant hurt the hub plenty of meat on that

...........You might consider getting the heavy duty 2sp shifter sold by FG Modelsports over here in the states. And your suggestion that you drill a hole inbetween the teeth on the 2nd speed gear to adjust the shift points kinda makes me worry that it may weakin the gear and cause teeth to chip on the gear but you won't know that until you try it out:eek: Keep us informed on the results.

scooter5200, gotta link to this heavy duty shifter?

The shifter comes with 2 pins instead of one and both pins are reinforced . My shifter is 2 years old shifts everytime no problems.

I have a 38tooth gear on mine Fg does not have a smaller gear for the 2 speed to my knowledge. These hubs did come in 2 sizes 47mm & 52mm.

Last edited:
Love the mod Renbar. Please let us know how it holds up. Under strenuous conditions of coarse.LOL

Scooter thanks for the link. Might have to purchase one after I save enough for my Samba 5 exhaust.

Maybe I missed it, was the factory directions of the shift arm ever confirmed? When I received mine I was a little puzzled that it was in the wrong direction. looked as if the armature would just sweep by the engagement pin. Also what's the tallest gear option for the 2 speed.

same here mate it just looks wrong

I think 26/38 is the tallest gear to tall for where I play that's why im thinking of changing the 2nd gear carrier

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks