2 speed not shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah u ant going to hear that change matey too b honest try abit bigger like mine it's gd all round fast of the line and gd topend
right now it is set a 1/4 turn from locking point...

What really funny... my fg Marder even thought i don't hear it shift. in first gear it wheelies then drop and as it goes into second it wheelies again then drop.. but no sound.

I put a 30.5 cc engine in it... 3.75hp with a pipe that from what they say give 1 to 1.5 hp more...

maybe i need a stronger/harder spring internally to make that rapid change... my Traxxas tmax got a real hard spring and you hear that shift real clear.

Last edited:
I purchased a FG 2 speed rom FG supply first time out she was shifting . Do yourself a favor and sell that clone. Your 2 speed may not be shifting because the spring, oneway bearing and other components are not up to standard. For example if the shaft is not made out of the right hardness it will wear really fast and cause the oneway to slip and no shifting.

I purchased a FG 2 speed rom FG supply first time out she was shifting . Do yourself a favor and sell that clone. Your 2 speed may not be shifting because the spring, oneway bearing and other components are not up to standard. For example if the shaft is not made out of the right hardness it will wear really fast and cause the oneway to slip and no shifting.
:( well i may just keep it to test. i was thinking the spring the whole time but still overlooking it....
my Tmaxx spring is very very stiff than spring in here is not that stiff as i thought it should be..

the one way bearing is good and the shaft is good too... but thanks a lot for your information....

by the way can you take pics of you trans and post????

Last edited:
i am running 1st is 20/46 2nd is 48
......If this statment is correct and you have your tranny set up like this thats the reason why you are not hearing it shift. Second gear spur should have fewer teeth on it than the first gear spur. You should set it up like this 1st gear 20th pinion 46th spur 2nd gear 26th pinion 40th spur then you should hear it shift if everything else is ok with the tranny. My gear ratio is 1st gear 20th pinion 44th spur 2nd gear 26th pinion 38th spur. Shift everytime. I am using a 6 tooth spread between the pinion & spur gears.

Last edited:
:( well i may just keep it to test. i was thinking the spring the whole time but still overlooking it....
my Tmaxx spring is very very stiff than spring in here is not that stiff as i thought it should be..

the one way bearing is good and the shaft is good too... but thanks a lot for your information....

by the way can you take pics of you trans and post????
..........Here is a attachment of my 2 speed.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 14
..........Here is a attachment of my 2 speed.

I am going to put a harder spring into it... home depot here in the usa carry small hard springs...the one that was in it is crushed and would not expand...

Harder spring = less turns in and easier control over shift points...and it is more violent...meaning the sound would be heard when it captures the arm... that just in my thought...

i am going to get this to work.. .lol... never give up lol

......If this statment is correct and you have your tranny set up like this thats the reason why you are not hearing it shift. Second gear spur should have fewer teeth on it than the first gear spur. You should set it up like this 1st gear 20th pinion 46th spur 2nd gear 26th pinion 40th spur then you should hear it shift if everything else is ok with the tranny. My gear ratio is 1st gear 20th pinion 44th spur 2nd gear 26th pinion 38th spur. Shift everytime. I am using a 6 tooth spread between the pinion & spur gears.

I will do a recount and let you know...

i did a recount and i was way offf lol

1 st 18/46
2nd 20/44

i also dug up this see pic

Attachments

• 2_Speed_7451_Off_Road_Manual.jpg
    2_Speed_7451_Off_Road_Manual.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
For second gear I would try 24 tooth for the pinion gear and 40 tooth for the spur for a 6 tooth spread between pinion and spur gears. The smallest spread I would go with would be a 4 tooth spread. With a 4 tooth spread 1st gear 18 tooth pinion 46 tooth spur. 2nd gear would be 22 tooth pinion gear 42 tooth spur gear. In my opinion if you run less than a 4 tooth spread it makes it very hard to hear a shift because the gears are just not far enough apart. And I agree with you I would change the spring too.

For second gear I would try 24 tooth for the pinion gear and 40 tooth for the spur for a 6 tooth spread between pinion and spur gears. The smallest spread I would go with would be a 4 tooth spread. With a 4 tooth spread 1st gear 18 tooth pinion 46 tooth spur. 2nd gear would be 22 tooth pinion gear 42 tooth spur gear. In my opinion if you run less than a 4 tooth spread it makes it very hard to hear a shift because the gears are just not far enough apart. And I agree with you I would change the spring too.
I just followed what was stated in the picture there i posted about the gears... i did change out the spring but i have to wait for this hurricane to past form to test it..

I hope the new spring takes care of your shifting problem. Most of FG reccomendations only give you a 2 tooth spread on your gears between 1st & 2nd gear , thats not enough spread in my opinion gear ratio too close no point in having a 2 speed if your gear spread is only a 2 tooth difference. Now if you get too big of a tooth sprread between 1st & 2nd you are going to rip out the pin . Fg supply has a optional heavy duty 2 speed hub for people who have a high performace motor and a big spread between 1st and 2nd gear. Are you planning on drag racing or doing speed runs?? If you are I reccomend looking at this 2 speed hub.

Last edited:
I hope the new spring takes care of your shifting problem. Most of FG reccomendations only give you a 2 tooth spread on your gears between 1st & 2nd gear , thats not enough spread in my opinion gear ratio too close no point in having a 2 speed if your gear spread is only a 2 tooth difference. Now if you get too big of a tooth sprread between 1st & 2nd you are going to rip out the pin . Fg supply has a optional heavy duty 2 speed hub for people who have a high performace motor and a big spread between 1st and 2nd gear. Are you planning on drag racing or doing speed runs?? If you are I reccomend looking at this 2 speed hub.
not really drag race but to hear the shift would be cool and faster.
once I am there then i will race.....
I put a 30.5cc 3.75hp motor in it from a 23cc
I have the original chassis its longer than the ones out now I think

I am going to check those videos out. When it gets a litttle warmer down here I am going to take some videos of my car before I service it down for the winter.

I am going to check those videos out. When it gets a litttle warmer down here I am going to take some videos of my car before I service it down for the winter.
i am certainly running my during the winter here.... taking my old tires and drill holes in the rim then put screws in it.....

Here is an attachment of the FG Supply heavy duty 2 speed hub , note the reinforcment behind the pins and the pins are thicker in diameter than the stock unit on the right . This design should make it more durable for high output motors like you would use in drag racing.

Attachments

• Vt57522.jpg
    Vt57522.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I purchased one of the heavy duty 2 speed hubs just in case I have problems with my stock one . So far with a stock motor no problem yet.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks