23cc won’t start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have basically a brand new engine I rebuilt. I’ve rebuilt many engines and turns out successful. This engine was off a 23cc Baja 5b. Not sure if 2.0 or not but it’s 6 years old. Never really used until now as I want to sell it. The engine was completely taken apart and cleaned spotless then re greased and out back together with nothing left Out. New piston rings pins etc. but now everything’s together it will not fire. Has new spark plug and give a big blue spark. Has new fuel and plug is wet when trying to start so it gets fuel and seems it has compression as you can feel it and hear it. Don’t have a tester. Hasn’t even fired once or tried to. Cylinders stone cold and tried many pulls and engine starting fluid. Dunno what’s wrong. Piston is on right way and so is everything else
If you Guy's read his post ,he states that it has spark & juice ,that is why I asked if he had put the woodruff key in ,thinking
that the spark timing was off ,however ,he stated that he rebuilt it ,it may be not sealing good around the head or seals!

If the o/p's engine wont even fart with a fresh plug, a DRY (meaning no residual fuel) crankase , using a quick shot of starting fluid, then my guess is low compression. As always the comment "compression feels good" doesn't cut it. If the flywheel mag woodruff key got sheared and the flywheel is out of position you usually hear some type of backfire through the exhaust or intake.

Would the high needle setting being off by just 1/8 be the reason for the engine not starting. I'm kinda butting in, but since I've had my fair share of no start issues I was trying g to see how this was resolved.
I tried, no luck.
Engine should have started with a little gas squirt or starting fluid ,he said that it wont fire!
Yea not even starting fluid gets it to fire
+1, i think its the coil or something in the ignition system
Nope, new plug grounded to top of cylinder gives off a lovely blue spark.
If you Guy's read his post ,he states that it has spark & juice ,that is why I asked if he had put the woodruff key in ,thinking
that the spark timing was off ,however ,he stated that he rebuilt it ,it may be not sealing good around the head or seals!
I put new gasket and ring in. I don’t have a compression tester but it definitely sounds and feels like it has. Which is why I’m lost to why it won’t start, it has all 3 things it needs, fuel spark compression
If the o/p's engine wont even fart with a fresh plug, a DRY (meaning no residual fuel) crankase , using a quick shot of starting fluid, then my guess is low compression. As always the comment "compression feels good" doesn't cut it. If the flywheel mag woodruff key got sheared and the flywheel is out of position you usually hear some type of backfire through the exhaust or intake.
It quiet possibly could be low compression, not sure. I’m gonna buy a compression tester but even if it was low I wouldn’t know why, new gaskets and ring, all screws tight, it shouldn’t have low compression.

Last edited:
I tried, no luck.

Yea not even starting fluid gets it to fire

Nope, new plug grounded to top of cylinder gives off a lovely blue spark.

I put new gasket and ring in. I don’t have a compression tester but it definitely sounds and feels like it has. Which is why I’m lost to why it won’t start, it has all 3 things it needs, fuel spark compression

It quiet possibly could be low compression, not sure. I’m gonna buy a compression tester but even if it was low I wouldn’t know why, new gaskets and ring, all screws tight, it shouldn’t have low compression.

It has me stumped as well ,that is why I posted a vid ,if you have spark & fuel ,it should fire over regardless ,even
with out the carb!
An you have that ,the only thing that I can think of ,is your not holding your mouth right!......:unsure:

It has me stumped as well ,that is why I posted a vid ,if you have spark & fuel ,it should fire over regardless ,even
with out the carb!
An you have that ,the only thing that I can think of ,is your not holding your mouth right!......:unsure:
What exactly do you mean by ‘holding your mouth right’ I’m confused.

Took my cylinder off and turns out my brand new piston ring somehow is stuck inside the groove of the new piston where the pin is. Only one side of the ring gets stuck in. Other side moves freely? Unusual. Not sure if that’s meant to happen but I still have compression with that happening. Maybe it’s just too low to fire. Guessing rather one side of the ring is thicker or one side of piston is too thin?

Took my cylinder off and turns out my brand new piston ring somehow is stuck inside the groove of the new piston where the pin is. Only one side of the ring gets stuck in. Other side moves freely? Unusual. Not sure if that’s meant to happen but I still have compression with that happening. Maybe it’s just too low to fire. Guessing rather one side of the ring is thicker or one side of piston is too thin?
That is your problem right there mate.
Is your piston damaged? i.e. A grove scored in past the ring gap
If you still have your old ring snap it and use it to clean the groove out on the piston, it might work?‍♂️

That is your problem right there mate.
Is your piston damaged? i.e. A grove scored in past the ring gap
If you still have your old ring snap it and use it to clean the groove out on the piston, it might work?‍♂️
new cylinder and piston. No scores or scratches just probably bad manufactured piston or ring. Keeps getting stuck in the groove on a certain part of the ring. Ordered new one hope it fixes the issue. If not then new piston ? ??‍♂️

It is just an old American figure of speech!....LOL

An Ozzie one too
new cylinder and piston. No scores or scratches just probably bad manufactured piston or ring. Keeps getting stuck in the groove on a certain part of the ring. Ordered new one hope it fixes the issue. If not then new piston ? ??‍♂️

There is a "bump"in the groove to stop the ring from rotating while running.
You'll find the same on the new piston.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks