8,000 rpm clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to get a clutch set for a Zenoah engine if thats whart you have in your car.

i will recomend you to put in the stock clutch spring.
i have tried the red spring in my car but have put the stock one back in.
the temperatur on the clutch si much higher with the red spring instaled.
the spring is harder and therfor the clutch will slip more when driving at lower rpm´s. are you driving WOT all the time it will work With the red spring but are you running on a track the temp will rise becaus of the higher slippage on the clutch at lower RPM.

but thats just my 5 cents

well i have brought the HPI clutch & spring set but needed to also buy some hpi shoe mount bolts as well as the zenoah ones were the wrong size. I have also reversed fitted them, i have only run the truck for a short while but all seems well. will report back when i have had a good run

Last edited:
Breathless, it will be fine...

There are a few things about this that haven't been mentioned in this thread...

1) the HPI red spring with zenoah shoes is not an 8000rpm engagement. It's an 8000rpm in the Baja with a CY, the clutch shoes are lighter. It's more like 7500 with Zen stock shoes.
2) If you increase the engagement speed, there will be more slipping not less.
3) The stock Zen spring should be around 6000 rpm engagement
4) You can reverse the clutch shoes with the red spring to get about a 7000 rpm engagement, but much snappier, and with less clutch slipping. This also doubles the life of the shoes.
5) Yes, if you want to change shoes (Zen to CY or ViceVersa), you only need the bolts and the shoes (as far as I can tell, I haven't tried yet)

I'm running a red spring with reversed Zen shoes in my FG MB pro, and my top end dominator pipe arrived today, so I'll try to get some vid for you guys, but I'm expecting wheely city. :)

hi all well i got me a hpi spring and went for a spin oh i got a surprise the thing was like a slug i checked my gears oh i have the fs racing mt and the stock zen clutch so i tryed to tune it but still know luck so any one got any ideas would appreciate it thanks lads

The only difference should be the take off RPM not any motor issue should be seen? Is it dogging from start to finish? As he said in the movie Short Circuit, "Need more input".:helpsmilie:

Sounds like another issue separate from the spring. Is the filter clean? Did you go to stock settings because it was bogging? It should run just as it was except hook up later in the RPM's. Can you remember changing anything else when switching out the spring?

Wow, this could be a tough one.:(

no all is the same as the first time and the filter is ok so im scratching my head now just the spring ive checked everything and cant see wat it is i even put a new plug in it thats made a bit of difference but not much

Yup, that was what I was going to say. Swapping them lowers the RPM.

Wow, that is one strange situation. Is something binding, like a brake or a gear? Does it roll easy?

that's a negative on the above.so that i don't need to do then well i think i will be putting the old one back in tomorrow and see if the problem stays
ill let you know thanks for the help mucker

hi btb well i think i found the problem i was in the middle of taking the motor of and all the plastic covers and thought i would check the gap on the coil well that is now about 3.5 mm so now I'm going to set that right and see if that was the problem let you know tomorrow

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks