Baja Beetle - Taking on a few radical changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigRobbo

Hey guys.

I am doing a baja beetle but I want to do a few radical changes to it.

Firstly i wanted criss-cross rear shocks and revo like front.

I have acheived the rear shocks after machining a few parts, but it looks somewhat naff right now, however the concept does work.

I need to think of a cleaner design.

P1100463.jpg
P1100464.gif
P1100465.jpg
P1100466.jpg

Craig

nice chassis thats a kdp patriot aint it im sure youve been here before craig i remember your other build a few years back of the silver/ano red one of these you started it was one of the cars that got me into the hobby i hope you finish this one you should have been jailed for giving up on the first one after all the work/effort you put in lol

i love the front lower arms got the same on mine there uber strong about the best there is for a fg only issue with them is its near impossable to mount a anti roll bar

nice chassis thats a kdp patriot aint it im sure youve been here before craig i remember your other build a few years back of the silver/ano red one of these you started it was one of the cars that got me into the hobby i hope you finish this one you should have been jailed for giving up on the first one after all the work/effort you put in lol

i love the front lower arms got the same on mine there uber strong about the best there is for a fg only issue with them is its near impossable to mount a anti roll bar

Hey man thanks for that.

Well the old one got abandoned because i attempted to bite off more than i could chew and times got tight.

This time around i'm not going to set my goal quite as high - a little more realistic!

Here is the mock up of the front suspension (one side only thus far)

The final position will likley change slightly, and i think for the sake of looks i might use Revo rockers unless i can find some nice FG ones.

Tested this setup and it works well!

So far:

P1100504.jpg

Craig

Last edited:
Great idea and good to hear from you again.
Still can't help a little 'snigger' at the thought of the 'container and skip incident' !!

Are you going to have enough room for the tank, and the engine / tranny if you continue at the rear?

Al.

Great idea and good to hear from you again.
Still can't help a little 'snigger' at the thought of the 'container and skip incident' !!

Are you going to have enough room for the tank, and the engine / tranny if you continue at the rear?

Al.

Going to have normal shock setup on the rear i think - However i will likley do somthing a little different, i was thinking of a ball/socket rollbar mounted on the rear along with shock rezzies.

Craig

craig yur on to somthink with wanting to make suspension better have you thought about maybe trying to fit/adapt hpi baa shocks and giving the fg much better travel/clearance ect taller towers longer shocks im sure you could get it working

try looking at the shock set up on fg's comp f1 thats the same set up your trying to get for the front worth a look

craig yur on to somthink with wanting to make suspension better have you thought about maybe trying to fit/adapt hpi baa shocks and giving the fg much better travel/clearance ect taller towers longer shocks im sure you could get it working

try looking at the shock set up on fg's comp f1 thats the same set up your trying to get for the front worth a look

Hi mate.

I have had Baja shocks on an FG before and its night and day difference, this time around i wanted to go all out.

The rear i decided to just leave stood up but i will be adding a ball & socket roll bar to help aid.

Juist need to try and find one, they are like rocking horse $H|T to find.

try thepitstop-shop.nl or hoobytek about the best for fg part stock or upgrade i know they have the ball socket anti rollbars but most people on hre have all said they don't bother running the rear r/bar ive tried it with and without both but im not sure mine still ends up on the roof

try thepitstop-shop.nl or hoobytek about the best for fg part stock or upgrade i know they have the ball socket anti rollbars but most people on hre have all said they don't bother running the rear r/bar ive tried it with and without both but im not sure mine still ends up on the roof

Thanks for that - I used to run it on my old FG and i prefered it to be honest.

the only downside to the ball/socket is it can restrict the travel.

Major update:

Spent all morning machining, test fitting re machining test fitting....yadda yadda...

So here is the result!

P1100515.jpg
P1100516.jpg
P1100518.jpg
P1100519.jpg
P1100520.jpg
P1100521.jpg
P1100522.jpg
P1100523.jpg
P1100524.jpg

And i also got alittle video of it all working for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great.
Do you think there's a need for a reinforcing brace between the strut and the shock bottom, to limit the possibility of the pivot piece folding, or it's fine?

Al.

Do you mean the connection to the chassis?

I will make somthing a bit stronger for there but i have no alloy bigger than 4mm left right now.

Craig

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks