Baja Beetle - Taking on a few radical changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm beginning to believe Bajas are for adolescents and FG's for grown ups .... :D:D:D

Clones indeed - who gives a "£$%£$%^ !!!

Craig, how's the shaft going to be mounted? :rolleyes:

Al.

yeah mate fg's rocked in the 90's they still rock now lets see if theres any hpi thingy's left in 20 years time

i don't think that maters mate it will allways be a fg,,,i don't care im lovin it its nice to see somebody still making them better i would love to make something this cool that was a one off mines as close as im going to get but im happy with that now its fixxed that is

Update / Mock up.

These are the final mounts for the diff (however i will tidy them up a bit)

the rest of the mounts are with the laser cutters and should be here in about a week or so - ish.

Still got a few tweeks & mods to do to align everything up.

P1100670.jpg
P1100671.jpg
P1100672.jpg
P1100673.jpg

This is just a mock up of the front gearing system.

P1100674.jpg

Hey, my mate & I have been polishing up the crankcase...

Damn polishing cast is f**king hard work!!!

Its getting there slowly but will still need ALOT more work yet

lemme know what ya's think.

P1100678.jpg

cool,that engine case looks good i done one a while back it takes a whole tub of elbow grease but they look better and worth the effort on a build like this

cool,that engine case looks good i done one a while back it takes a whole tub of elbow grease but they look better and worth the effort on a build like this

Thanks bud!

I think i may have to link to 2 servo horns together for a little more power and control however i am really pushed for space with all the gears & what not.

I also need to neaten it all up and make it look a little more profesional.

Craig

Updates again...

This update is mostly mock up, however i'm startedto feel this build is looking REALLY cluttered & bodged but i don't know what to do to make it looka little more 'standardized' so to speak - It just looks like a real mad max truck now...

I have bored out, then drill/tap the lug holes then I heat treated them to harden them up.

P1100728.jpg

Then i mocked up everything including the 4wd shaft/gears pipe and fuel tanks.

The shaft mounts are just made from some compisite resin for now just to mock them.

P1100740.jpg
P1100739.jpg
P1100738.jpg
P1100737.jpg

And finally a video of it all working (the shafty 4wd)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that,

Still got the twin yeah :D

Craig
don't suppose its up for sale is it???
is it a bit of A Pain ti maintain and run in general,how would you compare it to the 50 bzm,i know the twin revs higher sounds better and has crazy spool up time, id love to see you race gareth again,but on a drag strip, long carpark! i just got a fullmod longrod, but i want more

don't suppose its up for sale is it???
is it a bit of A Pain ti maintain and run in general,how would you compare it to the 50 bzm,i know the twin revs higher sounds better and has crazy spool up time, id love to see you race gareth again,but on a drag strip, long carpark! i just got a fullmod longrod, but i want more

Hi mate.

If i was to sell it, it would have to be for the 'right' price- Hit me up an offer via PM worst i can say is no.

AS for performance, on paper its less horses for the twin however as you mentioned yourself the twin just revs to the moon and its instant.

The BZM needs stupidly tall gearing to acheive good speeds, where as the twin does not.

The bzm needs around 28/46 gearing for an average speed

the twin hits around 50mph on stock gearing about 70 on 23/51 and about 100 on 28/46

If you geared the BZM high enough i think it would eventually get to a higher top end speed than a twin but that being said if you geared the twin and the BZM to do the same speed(for arguments sake lets say 70mph) the twin would certinly get there MUCh faster than the BZM due to its spool up.

Now if you geared them both for 100mph then the bzm would have the upper hand because of iits tourqe but geared for 100mph my twin is still far from slugish, still pulls the front end up but its just not fot that 'mental factor'

Its all about what you want, do you want that mental instant speed feel or do you want just pure parts breaking tourqe?

If you want the first go Twin if you want the later go BZM.

Craig

Okay some more updates.

I have modified my dogbones to extend them due to the front being slightly wider.

Here is a paint drawing of how it looks as a cross section:

Dogbonemodification.jpg

And here is how they look finished(i just need to cu the steel to make pins.)

P1100976.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks