best large scale all rounder for bashing and racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark davies

hi there new to the forum just recently purchased an xmaxx witch i love but im looking at purchasing a true 1/5 scale petrol or electric rc for bashing and some racing been looking at the lost 5t and seen there pretty robust but recently come across the mcd w5 max witch looks another awesome rig with lots of potential if it was your choice witch would you go with like doing jumps and ripping up the local fields any advice given or is there more options i need to look at thanks

After owning both my choice would be the 5iveT. Yes it's robust, it's as tough as they get. Plenty of parts support and an endless list of aftermarket parts/upgrades too. Maybe not a world championship winning race rig, but deffinitely the best allrounder hands down imo

The MCD's certainly look flash, but they aren't as tough, parts are expensive in comparison to Losi, and no aftermarket parts, well just a handful of cheap Chinese stuff. The MCD's really are race rigs only, sure you can bash them, but you'll be buying parts often

I am literally amazed at the abuse the 5iveT platform takes! My buddy and I bash often and our track has an off camber jump that can make for pretty unpredictable landings at high speed. Our trucks regularly go end over end and rollovers , most of the time they survive.

We have broken stuff but I admit what we put them through borders on abuse! Do yourself a favour if you get one and get a 30 degree body, one of the best investments We’ve made on our rigs. Losi bodies don’t hold up nearly as well as their drivetrain.

Edited for clarification as @Clubin pointed out, similarities in the moniker caused me some confusion when I 1st started and was looking for parts.

Last edited:
5t or 5ive t Hmmm. Very very different platforms and handling. Watch YouTube and take notice of what interests you. I personally love the 2wd platform. So hpi 5t for me. Check out the kraken vesla. It’s 2wd coming out end of December.

Hpi 5 - tons of aftermarket stuff.

5ive t. Tons of aftermarket parts.

You can’t go wrong with either.

losi 5ive t, durable, bash proof and if you really want to save you can get yourself a 30DNT (BWS Racing) 5ive-T clone which is what i run, the plastic quality is pretty darn good and i haven't broken it yet so if its not on par with a losi 5ive T then the actual thing is a fuckin tank

the mcd w5 max is a racer and very good at it, bashing not so much although if you plan on going big bore one day the mcd drivetrain ahs been proven many times to handle big bore power with no upgrades

hi there new to the forum just recently purchased an xmaxx witch i love but im looking at purchasing a true 1/5 scale petrol or electric rc for bashing and some racing been looking at the lost 5t and seen there pretty robust but recently come across the mcd w5 max witch looks another awesome rig with lots of potential if it was your choice witch would you go with like doing jumps and ripping up the local fields any advice given or is there more options i need to look at thanks
the 5ive T

How much racing and what kind of bashing do you plan on doing?
hi there iv got a private quarry i can bash at with some big jumps there i can build was looking at building my owl little course there for bashing but was maybe looking at doing a bit of racing as well in the near future so was kinda looking at the best rig to do it all well its a tough one as im still optimistic to go brushless or full on petrol power but at the moment its looking like the loss five5 t is the better option hear in the uk it costs a little more than the mcd to purchase but you get a complete package as the mcd is more of a rolling chassis

hi there iv got a private quarry i can bash at with some big jumps there i can build was looking at building my owl little course there for bashing but was maybe looking at doing a bit of racing as well in the near future so was kinda looking at the best rig to do it all well its a tough one as im still optimistic to go brushless or full on petrol power but at the moment its looking like the loss five5 t is the better option hear in the uk it costs a little more than the mcd to purchase but you get a complete package as the mcd is more of a rolling chassis
Go gas

Yeah going by that then deffo the 5iveT, Losi 5iveT that is lol.
While the clone 30n "fiveT" is alot cheaper, it isn't as good quality, namely the drivetrain isn't as strong, and the engine is cheap Chinese and not quality Japanese Zenoah

The 30n rig is a good option if you were to be doing a ton of upgrading out of the box though

Yeah going by that then deffo the 5iveT, Losi 5iveT that is lol.
While the clone 30n "fiveT" is alot cheaper, it isn't as good quality, namely the drivetrain isn't as strong, and the engine is cheap Chinese and not quality Japanese Zenoah

The 30n rig is a good option if you were to be doing a ton of upgrading out of the box though
think iv decided after the feedback iv seen its gonna be a loss five5 t 2.0 petrol think ill run it stock with a tuned pipe possibly silenced and few upgrades later on some chassis bracing and if it bends then ill swap out the chassis for a taylor billet set up

Both my buddy and I run silenced pipes so not to attract unwanted attention for the same reason. Another friend just picked up as used FiveT that isn’t silenced and boy is it loud in comparison!
ye im with you my old redact rampage had a tuned rcmk gizmo motor in it with a tuned pipe unsilenced and that was seriously loud you could hear me ripping that from the other side of the town hahaha

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks