Come on Boys, Let's See 'em DBXL's!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you elaborate more on the grub screw mod? how many holes did you plug? did you drill smaller ones? what weight fluid?

So far:

Have to figure out how to upload pics from my gallery

Zen 340 stroker with ESP full mod porting
Bartalone Pipe Unsilenced
TGN Redneck Air Filter
Outerwears all around (except shocks, my wife is making me some)
Turtle Racing Clutch Bell
Turtle Racing Motor Mount
Turtle Racing Clutch Housing
Losi Front / Rear / Bulkhead Chassis Brace
DGI Aluminum servo horns
Proline Blockades on Silverback 5imien w/ zero growth Hostile Foams
Proline Trenchers on stock rims and foams
Proline Bowties on 5B Split Six wheels
Vertigo Monster Locker Spool for center diff
Shock valve and rear spring upgrade
FLM dogbones / cups w/5mm pins at all four corners and drives
Custom wrap by Immersion DeSigns
DGI 23/58 pinion and spur combo
Grub screw shock mod with +20% springs (works fantastic, no more lawn darts)
Savox servos (235 and 236)
2S LiPo receiver pack

Some other things I can't remember.

Finally figured out how to upload a pic...

Attachments

• 20151016_164939.jpg
    20151016_164939.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20151016_171142.jpg
    20151016_171142.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20151016_171124.jpg
    20151016_171124.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
So what your saying is the ideal total area for our pistons is a hole that's 8mm. . So 3.14 x 16 means about 50mm^2

Would be a total of 8mm in diameter per piston. So 4 x 2mm diameter or 6 x 1.3mm etc. As mentioned one guy is running 4 x 1.9mm diameter which to me is preferable over my setup of 2 X 3.5 ish.

I just measured the Losi shock rebuild kit pistons and there are 6 x 1.5 mm holes.

6 x 1.5mm totals 42.4 mm^2

4 x 1.9mm totals 45.3 mm^2

Correct. The factory installed pistons (not the new rebuild kit from DDM or Losi which are the 6 x 1.5mm) are 4 X ~2.8mm so the holes are too large and too much overall fluid bypass size for a silicon shock fluid and that is why a more viscous diff fluid is used that caused compacting / rebound issues. They are just too slow.

By reducing the overall bypass diameter and going to approx. 90wt. shock oil in the rears, 50-60 in the front and increasing the spring stiffness all around by +20% the shocks work much better.

The amount of nose-dive is decreased dramatically as well as the Dibby seems much more stable on the fast but not super smooth straights.

In any case it has seemed to work for my Dib and it is quick with the G340 and 23/58 gearing when running Baja 5b wheel / tire setup. I change back to stock pinion and spur (20/61) when running the larger Silverbacks w/ Blockade tires.

By no means is this a "perfect" shock setup but it does make a dramatic difference. I may yet go to the 5ive front shocks at all four corners to do a comparison vs. the modded stockers.

I used this special red duct tape we use in the nuclear navy.

You're Navy? Nice. My Dad was Navy (BRN and RCN for a good many years. He was a pilot, mostly Sea Fury's, Trackers. He had a few years stationed in Pensacola working with the USN and Marines. In his words "Son, I spent too many nights drinking way too much rum and teaching the USN and Marines how to do night-time touch and go's while imapred".

So now I have to find red nuclear approved duct tape hahaha! Honestly it looks really sharp with the red roll cage covering.:)

I built a desert buggy based on the Losi XXL chassis and stretched it 4'' to get a sweet buggy that can do it all and do it well. It is a blast to work on and even more fun to drive. I have some video that shows this. I call it the worlds lightest DBXL and it is a play on what Losi built and what I feel they should build. It's not to piss off the people that are stuck with the losi xxl that can't have a buggy like this. Which is to bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're Navy? Nice. My Dad was Navy (BRN and RCN for a good many years. He was a pilot, mostly Sea Fury's, Trackers. He had a few years stationed in Pensacola working with the USN and Marines. In his words "Son, I spent too many nights drinking way too much rum and teaching the USN and Marines how to do night-time touch and go's while imapred".

So now I have to find red nuclear approved duct tape hahaha! Honestly it looks really sharp with the red roll cage covering.:)
So you can find it on Amazon I hear. We call it EB red. I'd have to look at the tape roll to get a brand. I guess its only 25 bucks a roll on amazon.

edit for link!

http://www.amazon.com/Nashua-Nuclea...qid=1447117197&sr=8-1&keywords=nashua+nuclear

Last edited:
I built a desert buggy based on the Losi XXL chassis and stretched it 4'' to get a sweet buggy that can do it all and do it well. It is a blast to work on and even more fun to drive. I have some video that shows this. I call it the worlds lightest DBXL and it is a play on what Losi built and what I feel they should build. It's not to piss off the people that are stuck with the losi xxl that can't have a buggy like this. Which is to bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQj6meyV6g&ab_channel=twissted

I wouldn't say that I am "stuck" with my DB. It is absolutely fantastic now that I have it dialed in. It isn't a rock buggy or anything like that... it is built for the track. It's also gas and very, very powerful for gas.
Definitely not "pissed off" and would much rather have my Dibby than what you have built. No offense meant just each to their own and purpose built.

Decent build though if that's what floats your boat :)

Found and ordered! Thanks AMP
You will not be disappointed in that tape. Along with a 45 pound tensile strength, its sticky as stick and i think it's water proof. Maybe even seawater proof. It's probably the best duct tape in the world. It comes in the standard width, 1 inch wide. And 3 inch wide.

here it is. http://www.amazon.com/Nashua-Nuclea...qid=1447117197&sr=8-1&keywords=nashua+nuclear

Navy pays 2 grand for a box of 20 rolls, or something ridiculous because it's been through testing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that I am "stuck" with my DB. It is absolutely fantastic now that I have it dialed in. It isn't a rock buggy or anything like that... it is built for the track. It's also gas and very, very powerful for gas.
Definitely not "pissed off" and would much rather have my Dibby than what you have built. No offense meant just each to their own and purpose built.

Decent build though if that's what floats your boat :)

Purpose Built? It's built as the ultimate RC 4X4. designed to do everything well and better than most. I would love to run you on the track, Hill climbing or rock crawling. Here try this one on for your Purpose built!

Last edited by a moderator:
Purpose Built? It's built as the ultimate RC 4X4. designed to do everything well and better than most. I would love to run you on the track, Hill climbing or rock crawling. Here try this one on for your Purpose built!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjClGW7IE0&ab_channel=twissted

Whoa, dude you need to chill :cool:. I wasn't saying that your build was crap or anything like that at all. In fact I've seen most of your videos and yes, it's been well done. All I was saying that if you paint a picture don't expect everyone to buy a copy of it, it's a matter of personal taste as well as application.

So yeah, nice build

image_zpsatzqinls.jpg

A work in progress. Waiting for my wrap to get back from the printer... Only frustration so far is not being able to fit the body panels on without cutting air filter location out, takes away from the scale look.

Will post more pics when I get my tires in and wrap done, running a bartolone racing ported g320 with a bartolone pipe, clutch carrier, chassis braces, team chase chassis, fit tank and mounts. Honestly it's a long list haha and still got some parts in the mail. I'm hoping that the fast eddie bearing kit will snug up the front hubs as they are a bit floopy.

20160419_140040.jpg

And a short video, part throttle since there is very little traction with the stock tires and gears.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks