Crucial Baja Dragster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 things. That's stupid those drive need support rings. Youd think for what they are and what they cost should come beefed up a bit from the get go.
Second why no love for the front shocks? It just seems odd that you wouldnt want some sort of damping going on up there. May be not the full effect but your bound to hit a few bumps or a stone or something that the suspension should absorb, that you no longer have the ability to deal with.

2 things. That's stupid those drive need support rings. Youd think for what they are and what they cost should come beefed up a bit from the get go.
Second why no love for the front shocks? It just seems odd that you wouldnt want some sort of damping going on up there. May be not the full effect but your bound to hit a few bumps or a stone or something that the suspension should absorb, that you no longer have the ability to deal with.
reason for the rings strengthener rings sean is cos the uber ball drives were originally put on the market a few years back now when everyone was using stock 23 and 26cc engines, they came with a no questions asked warranty back then,
then people started using g32 and modded engines and the cups couldnt take it depending how hard ya were on em,
uber mark then changed the warranty that owt above a stock 26 wouldnt be covered unless the rings were used as well (y),
with higher hp and torque the cups were splitting open in some cases,

Progress. Actually glad @spents said something about the rings cause I thought I could install from outside but turns out I had to pull the cups to install the rings??‍♂️ Waiting on parts to finish now.

Do you have a part# for these?
they come as part of the stock front arm tree lance, cant be bought separate as an hpi part,

HPI 85400 New-Style Front Suspension Arm Set 5B/5T (davesmotors.com)

edit; and just noticed ddm out of stock anyways ?‍♂️, plus $19.99 just to get those parts aint cheap,

reason for the rings strengthener rings sean is cos the uber ball drives were originally put on the market a few years back now when everyone was using stock 23 and 26cc engines, they came with a no questions asked warranty back then,
then people started using g32 and modded engines and the cups couldnt take it depending how hard ya were on em,
uber mark then changed the warranty that owt above a stock 26 wouldnt be covered unless the rings were used as well (y),
with higher hp and torque the cups were splitting open in some cases,
Still dumb, why not just redesign them and sell as one slightly more expensive unit, but the time line makes sense with how engines have grown over the years.

Still dumb, why not just redesign them and sell as one slightly more expensive unit, but the time line makes sense with how engines have grown over the years.
i agree sean, still a tad dumb (y):LOL:,
easy fix for a problem i suppose and keeps costs down on re doing the whole manufacturing process,
plus uber charge an extra £20 for a set of rings , win win for uber money wise,

I don't understand the rings being needed either but I'm gonna give em a go. I'd hate to crack these expensive som a bitses?
With the front shocks it's one less thing to tune and most of the time there is very little load on the front suspension if any when your going down the track. The rail dragster doesn't have front suspension either.

Update. Working 7 days a week lately. Hard to find time to wrench, but must march on.

Uber ball drives and boots
20210226_163953.jpg
Used an IRP extended turnbuckle for wheelie bar support.
20210226_181719.jpg20210226_181722.jpg20210226_181727.jpg
Axles in. Boots were a major PITA
20210226_181734.jpg
RCR brakes on
20210226_181930.jpg
FG 07200 shocks and spring set
20210223_170437.jpg20210227_144935.jpg20210227_145228.jpg20210227_145241.jpg20210227_145609.jpg20210227_145613.jpg
Order that internals go if someone needs reference
20210227_145953.jpg20210227_150956.jpg
Gonna give 40wt a try 1st
20210227_151310.jpg
Went with yellow springs. Anyone know spring rates so I know? Tried Google but a bunch of nothing popped up. @Striikar ??
20210227_152803.jpg
This car is super sexy and functional.
20210227_173902.jpg
DexRC front bumper fitted for now. It will be my 1st powder coat project when my equip comes in.
20210227_173909.jpg20210227_173915.jpg20210227_173925.jpg
Close up pics of the boots
20210227_173932.jpg20210227_173947.jpg
Shocks fit nice with long ends and some plastic washers/spacers
20210227_173953.jpg
Now trying to layout under the hood for best placement. Ended up going with a 4oz gas tank. My buddy said it's good for approx 3 runs.
20210227_174029.jpg

the whole builds looking really nice lance (y)(y),
must admit i don't tend to like coloured carbon much, but the gold really does look very very nice (y),
the gearbox input/layshaft though, am i missing sommat or does it look very long ?

Nice looking so far! Good job as always lance
Thanks John
@Crucial,
For drag racing I don't know what springs to advise as road and drag are different animals
I'll see what I can find out. ?
Do you know what each color represents? 5 color of springs and I can't find anything on the internet for what the spring rates are for each color.
the whole builds looking really nice lance (y)(y),
must admit i don't tend to like coloured carbon much, but the gold really does look very very nice (y),
the gearbox input/layshaft though, am i missing sommat or does it look very long ?
Thanks @spents and yup for a 2 speed. Its a BlackBone layshaft and 2 speed setup?? Looks super long cause the bolts partially in it.
Probably for a 2 speed
You got it

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks