DDM Dominator install issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im quite surprized that this had to be done .. it is some bad butchering to fit it .. not everyone has resources handy like some of us do .. IMO that a Major R&D failure .. unless it was stated before you bought it ?
but needless to say if your happy im happy :scooter:

Im quite surprized that this had to be done .. it is some bad butchering to fit it .. not everyone has resources handy like some of us do .. IMO that a Major R&D failure...

No like I stated previously - I called DDM and talked to Brad. His response was they hadn't seem my version before and suggested to cut off the brace. I haven't talked to anyone from DDM since so I can't say if they plan on trying to create a new pipe to adjust for this version or just expect people to have to make the needed mods in order to make this pipe work.

You're right though, not everyone has the resources to just go out and do this. In fact I don't and that's why I'm not making the braces myself. Most of my wrenching is done right on my kitchen table. My "power tools" include a battery drill and a dremel. Lucky for me RC Solutions has offered to make these braces for me - I lucked out, but I don't blame DDM for the fact FG made a change in design on their truck.

-Michael

No like I stated previously - I called DDM and talked to Brad. His response was they hadn't seem my version before and suggested to cut off the brace. I haven't talked to anyone from DDM since so I can't say if they plan on trying to create a new pipe to adjust for this version or just expect people to have to make the needed mods in order to make this pipe work.

You're right though, not everyone has the resources to just go out and do this. In fact I don't and that's why I'm not making the braces myself. Most of my wrenching is done right on my kitchen table. My "power tools" include a battery drill and a dremel. Lucky for me RC Solutions has offered to make these braces for me - I lucked out.

-Michael

you sound like me the kitchen table are the floor.hey woodie are you ever going to put that front bumper on.:2guns:

Here is my new DDM pipe. Total installation time includes taking off the stock piece of scrap is less than 20 minutes.

Attachments

• P3090050-1.jpg
    P3090050-1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 50
  • P3090051-1.jpg
    P3090051-1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P3090052-1.jpg
    P3090052-1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Chop Suey, good to hear yours installed so quickly - but you're also running the mid-high power pipe where as I'm running the low-mid power pipe. I may end up buying a mid-high pipe as well just to see which one I like better.

-Michael

Chop Suey, good to hear yours installed so quickly - but you're also running the mid-high power pipe where as I'm running the low-mid power pipe. I may end up buying a mid-high pipe as well just to see which one I like better.

-Michael

Hi Michael,
Yes, my pipe is top-end one as I have mentioned in my previous post. I chose this one instead of the low-end torque because I also have the 30.5 race ported engine kit with stuffed crank from which I have heard is good for low-end torque, so I thought this set up will balance out the performance of my truck. I won't be installed the engine kit yet until I'm comfortable with controlling my truck and having the front disk brakes installed. This crappy weather here is keeping me away from trying my new pipe... :yuk:

See I take one for the team and test my FG Truck in the most extreme measures so that others know how far to push their trucks and this is the thanks I get... :badair:

-Michael

See I take one for the team and test my FG Truck in the most extreme measures so that others know how far to push their trucks and this is the thanks I get... :badair:

-Michael

After I saw your pictures and asked to test my truck, I have imagine you testing my truck against this...

The thought alone is very frightening... :scared:

Attachments

• 32426353.bulldozer.jpg
    32426353.bulldozer.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 29
Im quite surprized that this had to be done .. it is some bad butchering to fit it .. not everyone has resources handy like some of us do .. IMO that a Major R&D failure .. unless it was stated before you bought it ?
but needless to say if your happy im happy :scooter:

DDM designed the pipe to be compatible with the FG MT we had in the shop. You can see pictures of the clean install here:
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1888.html

Strangely enough, FG doesn't notify random non-FG dealers like us when they make design changes... :ph34r:

So it looks like this pipe will be an easy install if you have an MT like the one we have, and if you have a different style, the torque pipe will still be an easy install.

Woodie,
Are you sure that is a dominator pipe? From the looks of all the other pictures, the pipe goes on the inside of the cage. Even the ones in ryan's posts above.

Ryan,
There has not been any design changes in the fg roll cages for quite some time that would affect this. The only change was on the rear wing mounts. They added a mounting hold to support the body mount for the stadium truck. That has no effect on this issue.

RCNUTSHOBBIES,

The pipe Ryan listed above was the top-end pipe, I'm using the low end pipe thus the difference between how it wraps around or goes between the roll cage.

I don't believe this is DDM fault, as Ryan mentioned the design changed in the FG Truck somewhere down the line. If you look closely at the first picture in this thread you'll see the truck they used for the low-end pipe is for sure different then what's out now. The only thing left up for DDM is to create a new pipe that will take this new version into account or just have everyone with this version of the FG Truck do the mods I've mentioned above.

-Michael

RCNUTSHOBBIES,

The pipe Ryan listed above was the top-end pipe, I'm using the low end pipe thus the difference between how it wraps around or goes between the roll cage.

I don't believe this is DDM fault, as Ryan mentioned the design changed in the FG Truck somewhere down the line. If you look closely at the first picture in this thread you'll see the truck they used for the low-end pipe is for sure different then what's out now. The only thing left up for DDM is to create a new pipe that will take this new version into account or just have everyone with this version of the FG Truck do the mods I've mentioned above.

-Michael

Oops, you're right. Sorry I linked to the wrong one.
Here's the installed pic of yours:
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2048.html

I was not trying to blame them, if it came across that way I apologize.
I was not made aware of any changes either, I am not sure how old their MT is but based on the pictures, they only difference I see from theirs to yours it they did not put the front braces back on the truck or mount the side plate to the gear plate.

...but based on the pictures, they only difference I see from theirs to yours it they did not put the front braces back on the truck or mount the side plate to the gear plate.

Exactly! There doesn't seem to be very much at all different in fact just doing a quick look like I did you'd wouldn't normally pick up the difference. It's just one or two things that throw it all out of wack.

Good thing I've got you guys so I can bounce ideas off. :)

-Michael

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks