Did I just buy a knockoff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JedZero

Hey guys I posted a pic of a car I just bought on an older thread, I’ll put a couple here too, just bought a Baja that I was told was a Rovan Rofun but the guy acted like he didn’t know much about it, it would be cool if it was an HPI but if not I knew what I was getting into, thanks for your guys help

IMG_0342.png

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0353.png
    IMG_0353.png
    302.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0352.png
    IMG_0352.png
    667.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0349.png
    IMG_0349.png
    876.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
its not hpi, rovan or km fella,
possibly a yama that nitrotek sold/sell, or a variation of it anyways,
post up some full length pics with the body off, may give us more of a clue (y)

Paul for some reason it has a hint of redcat to its look.
yeh its a possibility as well ryan (y)
i know the yama took parts from different cars and sort of stuffed em all together,
like mixed hpi baja with fg parts etc, so redcat could be there somewhere, the tank looks like yama, i'm pretty sure yama used a one piece chassis as well,
the redcat part to me looks like the gear cover and whatevers under it,
someone else might have a better idea and know exactly what it is,
oh, and to me it looks like a short wheelbase as well,

Yea I'm seeing what you mean, that chassis plate is far from a baja 5b. It's interesting for sure.
its certainly a strange one ryan,
the odd thing is a yama used a layed over engine with the carb stuck right up in the air, plus the engine was in backwards like an fg,
so unless its an updated or even older yama or a shorty yama then its a head scratcher at the moment,
some better pics would be ideal though,

Ha! Thanks for the help guys, I’ll get it in Thursday and I’ll pull everything off and post some pics, it didn’t look like anything I found, it’s 4wd for sure

Hey guys I posted a pic of a car I just bought on an older thread, I’ll put a couple here too, just bought a Baja that I was told was a Rovan Rofun but the guy acted like he didn’t know much about it, it would be cool if it was an HPI but if not I knew what I was getting into, thanks for your guys help

View attachment 89698
Its a yama baja, its a clone of a clone🤣most parts are the same as hpi and rovan, but some parts do not fit, either you try to enjoy what uou bought or just make a good video on y.t on how to kill a yama🤣🤣🤣 at least you will have views...

I’ve got a motionsic gimbal and DJI goggles I was gonna put on my fusion 550 but this will be a fun test bed, I’m gonna rip it all to pieces anyway. A clone would be just so-so but a clone of a clone, that’s priceless!! Lol thanks again guys, I’ll keep y’all updated

Honestly I couldn’t be happier, my first car that started all this madness was an Earthquake 3.5. I really enjoyed it I think redact gets a bad wrap a little aren’t they made (assembled) in the USA?

Last edited:
How does that setup work I’m not familiar with these bajas really, I keep seeing 3 speed conversions and that sounds cool but I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not

It works. I remember the gears being a weak point. They drove a crown gear that goes to a rear diff.

This is not compatible with a hpi baja at all. Like nothing.
Redcat dune runner. It wasn’t called a baja. Some crappy videos from 14 years ago.

Hard to believe it’s that old. They were only around for a year or so.

Paul for some reason it has a hint of redcat to its look.
From here I'd say it's a Redcat Dunerunner.
I have 2 of them.
thats the closest i've seen yet ryan (y) , hopefully @JedZero will post some more pics and give a more detailed description,
if its hsp then it should be 4wd,
i looked at the redcat stuff and was nowhere near from what i could see, wat too many differences,
but yeh i think ya found it (y)(y):D
They also made a 2wd back in the 80s.
My neighbour gave me one he'd had in his shed for 5 yrs.
Great car.
Still running stock 25cc motor

Thanks for the manuals Phil2, one of the things I’m confused about is the chassis, all the Dunerunners I’ve seen have been the single steering servo setup but this one is a two. I’d like to go to a single but the area where it’s supposed to mount has a lattice of lightening holes there (pic). So I ordered a new chassis and it has the holes where the servo bracket mounts but it’s about an inch and a half longer than the one I have now. Another idea I’ve been bouncing around is possibly mounting the engine so the crank facing forward or backwards and somehow get rid of the center diff altogether. Just thought of that this morning so I’m bc sure there’s a million things flawed with that idea but if you guys don’t mind lemme know what y’all are think, many thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpeg
    IMG_0394.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 4
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks