DIY Powder Coating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the pre treats the local powder coating facility does is send it through the oven first to burn off any oils on the part. Comes out gets shot and sent through the oven again. Wanna try cerakote? Same basic principal. I'd send you some stuff to try it out on if toud be interested.

A coworker of mine casts surf casting fishing lead sinkers. He's been using a powder coat setup similar to yours with excellent results. The key is getting the "perfect" layer coating. Too much and you get runs when you do the heat.

@crucialRC just to give you an idea. this is my powder coating booth since the parts I powder coat are small?
EFFF5571-D706-4529-97C1-216B9E43DD18.jpeg8F902D2F-F1D4-48FB-83ED-303BFC9AD501.jpeg
It has a copper hook coming down the middle where I hook the parts

then the alligator clip clips on the top for the charge
AC06CAED-0318-4F88-855E-4D31688C77F5.jpegA74A7F6D-D013-4606-97D3-4936CACC8CB0.jpeg
And this is what I use. It’s from harbor freight.
729F6376-BAFB-4A55-8608-117B1B867554.jpeg
you can also get powders at harbor freight for practice. I believe they have red, white, and black

Last edited:
Wow been a while since I've posted on this one. Still no booth but I did make up a rack with a catch section for fallen powder. Air pressure seems to be the biggest part. Not much is needed for the parts I've been doing. I've only been using the Eastwood powders and they have been holding up well. Especially under the extreme heat of the pipes. Header is a little color distorted on the 1st olimate but no chipping or flaking off. All in all im impressed. 20221207_152440.jpg20221123_101010.jpg20221123_112455.jpg20221122_205748.jpg20230127_205502.jpg

Wow been a while since I've posted on this one. Still no booth but I did make up a rack with a catch section for fallen powder. Air pressure seems to be the biggest part. Not much is needed for the parts I've been doing. I've only been using the Eastwood powders and they have been holding up well. Especially under the extreme heat of the pipes. Header is a little color distorted on the 1st olimate but no chipping or flaking off. All in all im impressed. View attachment 85309View attachment 85310View attachment 85311View attachment 85312View attachment 85313
Nice, I've had good success with Eastwood powders also. Try Columbia Coatings for alot of other color choices if you cant find the one your looking for.

@crucialRC that's impressive!. Ive always wanted to do powder coating, how hard is it and if you had to say what's the hardest step?
The prep I do. I scuff the part with a green scotch pad then use acetone to clean it. Once you have the air pressure just right it works perfectly. As long as you remember to press the button while your spraying😆
Nice, I've had good success with Eastwood powders also. Try Columbia Coatings for alot of other color choices if you cant find the one your looking for.
Cool. I'll check them out. Thanks.
Nice, perfect little setup it seems
Yeah works for what I'm using it for. Just wish I could find a slightly bigger oven without going to a full size range.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks