Do I need to run the Baja 36 always with choke on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raicce KG

Hi friends
I bought Rovan Baja 36cc recently. It is starting with choke only. Once it get started, if I turn off the choke the engine also goes off even if I give acceleration in radio control.

Please advice.

Regards,
Rajesh. G

bear with me on this , i'm not trying to be funny or anything mate,
but, are you sure you're not starting the engine with choke off, then putting the choke on when its started ?
easy mistake if you are, all the rc engines i've had no matter what make they will not run with the choke on, you only get a pop, then choke off and pull till it starts,

bear with me on this , i'm not trying to be funny or anything mate,
but, are you sure you're not starting the engine with choke off, then putting the choke on when its started ?
easy mistake if you are, all the rc engines i've had no matter what make they will not run with the choke on, you only get a pop, then choke off and pull till it starts,
Hi...before starting I kept the choke on to start the engine...once it get started when I put the choke to off, the engine also goes off.

Fyi...my Baja is a brand new one...
Could be a fuel issue or an air leak
I am running it with petrol and oil mix. 1:25 ratio ..if it is an air leak then how to fix it .

Hi...before starting I kept the choke on to start the engine...once it get started when I put the choke to off, the engine also goes off.

I am running it with petrol and oil mix. 1:25 ratio ..if it is an air leak then how to fix it .
Fuel starvation problem or air leak. Pressure vac test is the proper way to test for air leaks. But a can of carb cleaner will be just as effective. Fuel issues are fuel line, dirt, or carb related issues. As you say it's new, which means it's a rovan or king motors. I suggest you go through them for warranty purposes.

You’ve not answered Spents question. Are you sure you’ve got the choke in the right position? Take the air filter off and take a picture of the air inlet and tell us if you have the choke on or off?

The engine shouldn’t start and run with the choke on.

If the engine is stock, check the plastic spacer that sits between the engine and carb. If it has a crack in it, you should replace it. I would recommend the aluminum spacer to replace the white plastic one. I did an engine swap on my King Motor Baja with the Rovan 36cc engine, bought the spacer at the same time. Glad I did as the plastic spacer had a crack in it, sort of a molded defect that extended through the plastic part and would most likely leak. Simple fix. Never had any issues getting the engine to run yet.
I would agree with the L and H needle settings. There is one other screw to adjust: idle speed control. If that is too far in, the throttle plate will be more open at idle. Too far out it will be completely closed. Restore the L and H needles to stock position and adjust the Idle speed control screw. Back it out a little bit until the throttle arm on that side does not contact the screw. Do not remove it as it will be a pain to get back in with the spring. Adjust the throttle speed control screw so it makes contact with the throttle angle plate. You may need to make minor adjustments until you get the engine started. After that you can fine tune the fuel mixture for idle. Get the engine to running temperature before you adjust the high end. The engine will try to fire up with the choke set but may not run if set. Choke is not always needed to get the engine started. I am just a beginner at this so perhaps others have more experience with engine set up.

Last edited:
Confused Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Here is what the carb spacer looked like on a new 36CC motor. Since I had intentions on replacing it with an aluminum spacer from the start it was not an issue for me. Not sure if the plastic spacer would have caused issues but I think it would if the part was installed with the crack on the bottom port. Doubt this is your issue. Think of the choke lever as an air flow direction. When the lever is facing down, the choke plate is in the closed position. Since it has a small diameter hole in the plate, that will allow for some small amount of air into the carb but not enough to run the engine beyond idle. When the lever is facing the carb or the engine, the choke plate is wide open. The lever itself will be pointing in the direction of air flow into the carb. If it is down, that is full choke. If the engine only runs with the lever in full choke, you got some issues to resolve. Perhaps I referenced the wrong term in first post. I called the one screw the idle speed control. It is basically a throttle stop adjustment that is used to adjust the throttle plate position for idle. If it is set too far in, the throttle plate will be more open at idle position. Too far out will cause the throttle plate to close completely and the engine will not run in that case. I am no expert on this subject so I will refrain from making any more comments.

Attachments

• 20211125_090720.jpg
    20211125_090720.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks