Do you still use your nitros?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some nitor engines with 8 plus gallons on them that have never been open still running fine. Now keep in mind a nitor engines turns at least twice the RPM a gasser turns or more. Many turn 38,000 RPM! A CY 26cc has about 3 HP and a 3.5 cc nitro has about the same HP. But of coarse the gasser has much more torque. In my opinion they are both good.

There's no way a 3.5cc .21 nitro makes 3.5 hp.

Well mfg's can claim all kinds of hp ratings as nothing ever gets dyno'd to disprove their claims... that said, some of those nitros can produce crazy power. I had this werk's engine I got from Korgae (Xray distributor in Canada) that was custom ported and such. no word of a lie, I let many people drive it and they all handed the controller back saying it was undriveable. I have never had an engine with so much power. but when it went south it nose dived hard. some engines last, others don't. the more porting and such the less life they have.

but I can see some nitros getting close. a basic hyper 8 port is pushing 2hp approx, so it's not impossible to get more out of a better engine. it's not going to be the same type of torque we get from the big scalers.

The LRP Z.28R Truggy spec 3 claims to have almost 4hp. They are bad arse. I have one in my SC8. Then the LRP .30 say its over 4hp. A friend has it in his savage but i never seen it run, but i've own two lrp 28s and they both have been really great motors.

I did not say 3.5 HP I said a 3.5cc getting around 3HP and yes some do get that much. Even if they only get 2 HP they are putting out WAY MORE HP PURE CC then a gasser and turn MORE then twice the RPM which only makes sense as they have such a short stroke. All so keep in mind a 1/8 scale buggy weighs 8 pounds or less. :mellow: A good nitro will blow a good gasser away every time. Like I said before I like both nitro and gassers as well as run both.

I did not say 3.5 HP I said a 3.5cc getting around 3HP and yes some do get that much. Even if they only get 2 HP they are putting out WAY MORE HP PURE CC then a gasser and turn MORE then twice the RPM which only makes sense as they have such a short stroke. All so keep in mind a 1/8 scale buggy weighs 8 pounds or less. :mellow: A good nitro will blow a good gasser away every time. Like I said before I like both nitro and gassers as well as run both.

not to sure about that mate my leopard 30cc sees off my mates hyper 7 with a tq28 init ;)

I've got a nitro Thuner TigerEK4 S2 up for sale at the moment.I used to use them nut cant be bothered with all the hassle anymore......Petrol engines all day!
J.

not to sure about that mate my leopard 30cc sees off my mates hyper 7 with a tq28 init ;)

Now put a good race 21 in it like a OS V Spec and see what happens. I know what will happen. The engine in your mates Hyper 7 is no where near what the OS V Spec 21 is. All so to be race legal a 1/8 buggy cannot run anything but a 21.

Make sure in my above post you read the part that says a GOOD NITRO!

Last edited:

My bad u never said 3.5hp.

Ok lets look at it this way. A nitro buggy weighing say 2kg has a top speed of around 70km/h (this is not specific just an example). A 10kg 1/5 buggy with a claimed similar output (but more torque) will go 80 km/h+.

Now i was always told torque is what accelerates you hp is what determines your top speed (as a basic rule). If these vehicles have similar hp what can a much heavier bigger vehicle have a higher top end?

My bad u never said 3.5hp.

Ok lets look at it this way. A nitro buggy weighing say 2kg has a top speed of around 70km/h (this is not specific just an example). A 10kg 1/5 buggy with a claimed similar output (but more torque) will go 80 km/h+.

Now i was always told torque is what accelerates you hp is what determines your top speed (as a basic rule). If these vehicles have similar hp what can a much heavier bigger vehicle have a higher top end?

There are so many variables to do with this but bottom line if you set a HPI baja for all out top speed and a 1/8 buggy for all out top speed the 1/8 buggy is going to win every time.

Top speed... I wonder who rates some of those claims LOL. They are more often more far fetched numbers than HP. Ya some stuff will do 80 km/hr... off a cliff or something. finding the room to get those speeds is the tough part. I want to try and get my semi up there but we haven't found a long enough road to do it, and I will be in a moving car with the remote to make it...

Top speed... I wonder who rates some of those claims LOL. They are more often more far fetched numbers than HP. Ya some stuff will do 80 km/hr... off a cliff or something. finding the room to get those speeds is the tough part. I want to try and get my semi up there but we haven't found a long enough road to do it, and I will be in a moving car with the remote to make it...

Well youd be surprised, my .21 nitro hit 70.5 km/h according to my friends phone which apparently has a function that can accuratly judge the speed, tried it in the car (real car) and its pretty close to the speedo.

I know for a fact my 1/5 buggy has heaps more top end compared to my nitro.

and the grey arms for winter, black for summer

oh hey Voo. see the exhaust nipple moved back on this pipe? That's what I was talking about ;)

as many problems I had with that beast, it was a crowd pleaser at races. to think I had 10 of those things at one point (and traded a sweet 5th scale for boxes of parts)

always grey arms here in england as it never gets hot ......brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i see that James has the early EK4 for sale........watch that head James

remember the good old days Barry when we had the 70 heli engine nothing could touch it for power

The 70 heli engines has a lot of torque but lacking top end as they only turn less then half the RPM a land vehicle engine turns. This is why kits like the Hot Bodies big engine kits for the Savage never went over well as they used heli engines great torque put poor top end and a stock engine was faster.

Now if you want a stump puller you cannot beat the heli engines.

Look up the worlds record for nitro! You will see it is around 112 MPH now how many baja s go that fast? Case closed. :nono:

Do you think that may have something to do with how long nitro motors have been used in rc and their development over time?

With time id say the gassers are going to evolve just as much if not more.

Thats a genuine question, not trying to be a smart arse.

:)

I think power to weight a nitro is going to be hard to beat by a gasser. I prefer gassers of course. 2 strokes have been around a long time too

and with the ek4, stock clutch is a 14, I was running an 18. I'll never forget racing an endurance race. The club prez had his mugen buggy with an rb, I was right on his tail. he turns the corner on the straight and says cya later. we hit the end of the straight and I said nope it's still hello. he was turning the corner for the big jump and looked back and said wtf, how did that thing stay with me... me bobbles and ends on his lid, so I slowed down, ran over his buggy, then left skid marks on his chassis to add a little insult... then I said, oh by the way... cya...haha he was choked. and it made him make mistakes. I put a lot of laps on him.. never forget that cya LOL. was priceless. we took a kid on our team, and honestly I think he ran the cleanest laps of our whole team. was a 500 lap race 4 man teams.. my ek4 never made it, I had to pull off and let someone else out and fix mine then get back out

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks