Dog bone pin, replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcmaster carr

These are the ones you need. I changed mine around 5-6 months ago and still holding up great. The stock ones are little tuff to take off but nothing too bad. Make sure to insert the new pins from the rounded chambered side.

Pins, 52100 Alloy Steel, 5 mm Diameter, 24 mm Long

https://www.mcmaster.com/91595A364
Received the pins and pressed them into the dog bones was easy and fast thanks for the help.

Attachments

• FE5AD9CA-0497-45FF-9875-04AF7866E42D.jpeg
    FE5AD9CA-0497-45FF-9875-04AF7866E42D.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 36
Bones are cheap enough to buy. I wouldn’t bother.
Can’t find them that’s the reason for the whole conversation.
Bones are cheap enough to buy. I wouldn’t bother.
Can’t find them that’s the reason for the whole conversation
Received the pins and pressed them into the dog bones was easy and fast thanks for the help.
how did u press them out?

@Darnell if you go back through the replies I gave you a lengthy how to. Use a black impact socket to rest the ball of the dog bone on and press the pin itself
Yes sir I read them, I thought another person replaced the pins and was wondering if the had a different method, just try to gather as much information as possible, I have ordered the the pins.

Unfortunately there's no other way as your pressing a hardened pin into a hardened dog bone. One thing you can do to help you is freeze the pins before installing them as well as putting the dog bones in the oven at say 300 degrees. It will help to expand the dog bone and shrink the pin. I don't think 300 degrees is going to mess with the temper of the bone.

Unfortunately there's no other way as your pressing a hardened pin into a hardened dog bone. One thing you can do to help you is freeze the pins before installing them as well as putting the dog bones in the oven at say 300 degrees. It will help to expand the dog bone and shrink the pin. I don't think 300 degrees is going to mess with the temper of the bone.
I looked at harbor freight for the press 70 bucks isn’t to bad.

No 300 degrees won’t hurt anything. We heat and freeze parts all the time to help assembling parts with interference fit. Wrap them in a piece of foil and toss them in toaster oven. Freeze the pins. Make sure you have all your tools out. You need to try and work quick

EDIT: 300 degrees , this is "F" and NOT "C".

Last edited:
Hello, I recently noticed that the pins on the dog bones have worn out wanted to see if I could just buy the bin and press them in instead of buying a whole new dog bone.
Hello, I recently noticed that the pins on the dog bones have worn out wanted to see if I could just buy the bin and press them in instead of buying a whole new dog bone.
I used a hammer and vice to pull the pin out. However, you need to do it very well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks