Dog bone pin, replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a hammer? Hitting 2 hardened objects together is never a great idea, I removed one pin by a hammer and it shattered and embedded into my Stomach. That's why I asked and yes I'm not interested in losing my sight.

With a hammer? Hitting 2 hardened objects together is never a great idea, I removed one pin by a hammer and it shattered and embedded into my Stomach. That's why I asked and yes I'm not interested in losing my sight.
As shown in this photo, I placed an unnecessary pipe or a large nut and used the difference in length to push it out. But it requires a very subtle touch.

image.jpg

View attachment 91857No 300 degrees won’t hurt anything. We heat and freeze parts all the time to help assembling parts with interference fit. Wrap them in a piece of foil and toss them in toaster oven. Freeze the pins. Make sure you have all your tools out. You need to try and work quick

EDIT: 300 degrees , this is "F" and NOT "C".

In this state, I used a vise to push it out until it was flush with the round part, then I applied an appropriate bolt and pushed it out completely. You probably don't need a hammer. It's difficult to do, so you need to be careful.
Yes I will use a vise.
As shown in this photo, I placed an unnecessary pipe or a large nut and used the difference in length to push it out. But it requires a very subtle touch.

View attachment 91856
Nice I’m also going to use a vice.

Right?? Here's the culprit. The left claw is no longer perpendicular with the long bar at the bottom, so it is now useless. It was a pretty light duty vise though.

View attachment 92506
What a bummer. That company is about 40 miles from me. I have one of their heavy duty, USA made vices and its fantastic. It was made 20 years ago. Unfortunately, they sell cheap units as well to compete with other cheap brands, and most of their former US made vices are now Taiwan made. Mine is red. Not sure when they changed colors. This is the new version of mine. What a shame they aren't made in house anymore.

https://yostvises.com/products/45c-4-1-2-tradesman-combination-pipe-and-bench-vise-swivel-base

This is why I opted for a hydraulic press.
I can’t justify the spend or space, but hydraulic press would be a much better option. What do you think about a small arbor press for this type of work? I’ve never used one.
What a bummer. That company is about 40 miles from me. I have one of their heavy duty, USA made vices and its fantastic. It was made 20 years ago. Unfortunately, they sell cheap units as well to compete with other cheap brands, and most of their former US made vices are now Taiwan made. Mine is red. Not sure when they changed colors. This is the new version of mine. What a shame they aren't made in house anymore.

https://yostvises.com/products/45c-4-1-2-tradesman-combination-pipe-and-bench-vise-swivel-base
Yes I believe Yost makes some really good products. I just had the cheapest option they sell.

I hate my current vice, it's worn out and sloppy but it's tough as nails.(my pop gave it to me, and he kept it when his dad died.) Been looking at upgrading and the market just sucks for a quality usa made vice these days, even used they command top buck.

I hate my current vice, it's worn out and sloppy but it's tough as nails.(my pop gave it to me, and he kept it when his dad died.) Been looking at upgrading and the market just sucks for a quality usa made vice these days, even used they command top buck.
Wilton makes a really nice product.
Made in USA , Probably not the cheapest but very well done.

I managed to snag mine, new in box, at a flea market for $95. They were $450 new back then. I was looking because my old Columbia vice broke. The screw. Oddball acme thread nobody locally could duplicate. I got lucky with the Yost.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks