Duratrax releases an off road motorcycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it comes stock with brushless and a 2.4 ghz radio. about a 3500 kv motor...

I was allready trying to find info to see if I can run it on 3s hehe

ok so I have gone through the bike a bit allready. I took all the weights and retaining rings off the gyro... you have 5 barrel weights that fit in holes around the outer edge of the gyro. it's a tuning tool. more weight makes it more stable but needs more power to spool up, less weights allows it to turn tighter... I saw guys on rcgroups said to remove them, and I have driven enough bikes to know the feel, so I took everything off to remove as much as possible. you also need to make sure there is no oil on the rim or the tire will slip inside.. rear axle bolts had zero loktite

my rear shock had air so decided to top it up... I over filled it a tad and after screwing the cap down it was tight to the top pushing the shaft in, and the seals popped from very little pressure. (seems it's about the same as the firehammer shocks LOL). a good revo shock will cure that problem. just need 5000-6000wt dif oil in the shock (seems a lot but is what they need)

the crash guards are actually nylon like the hop up ones I just installed to my nitro bike. seems they copied alleven's design idea.

the hardest part to this is putting the rider together... tiny screws and nuts hold it together (my nf 501 used plastic rivets). I had to take a break after dropping them a few times and searching the floor... might just take the shoe goo to it lol. wonder if I have any of those rivets kicking round still?

well I found sticking the washer and nut together with shoe goo, then sticking the nut to my finger with shoe goo helped. I could reach one finger inside and hit the weenie screw. I got it all together last night and took it out for a quick rip today. It had snowed while I was sleeping too. I just tossed a cheapo venom stick pack in and took it out first on pavement then on frozen grass.

it handles amazingly well. I was drifting it through the light snow with ease and rarely actually hit the crash guards. by far the easiest bike I have ever driven. after a few mins I was jumping things. the battery connection sucked as it has a tamiya plug (I need it for a rotostart) and shut down a couple times when heavy on the power, so I was doing some more basic runs

good news is the esc is rated for 12v so tomorrow I am trying out some 3s lipos in it to see what it can do. then I will take the camera out and get some wheelie action on video

ok, it was cool on a stick pack. lots of power loss with that tamiya plug of course. I never tried 2s. I had just topped up a Turnigy 3s 2200mah 20c lipo so decided 7 am snowy/frosty ground.... lets go out front and see... WOW.. talk about stupid power. I blipped the throttle to get the gyro going while in my hand and it twisted my wrist around... hmm better go easy... I set it down get tap the throttle and front wheel lifts... woah. I give it about half throttle and it literally flipped right over onto his head LOL

I ran for about 5-10 mins back and forth. Never had a bike that could wheelie. Now I have one that will do it at any speed haha. this is just awesome now. I came in the house giggling like a lunatic. Rich is going to do the camera work today. I am going over to his place when he wakes up. they have quite a few speed bumps to jump..

Now I need to think about tuning the suspension

I have to rip the back shock out again and figure something out with these seals. I knew it wouldn't last. all the seals popped and there's a mess. I wonder if the groove is the problem

other than that, this is one of the coolest rc's I have owned in a long time. you uk guys can get them called an Anderson M5. worth a look. easy to drive. we have a water basin on the property here. it is like a big rectangular bowl. it's all grass but the grass is frozen... makes for a bumpy ride but a great jump coming out. I tumbled and rolled it a few times but always lands on it's wheels redy to continue. I hit a tree, hit a concrete base around a drain... only damage I see is the leaky shock and the tail is starting to tear a bit... brace time

oh ya, with 3s I am allready looking at a steering stabilizer shock to get rid of speed wobbles hehe. another guy tried 3s. figuring over 30mph stock gearing. not sure how much faster I'd want to go

Last edited:
Test out customer support on the new ride. See if they send out a new shock to replace it. Sound like a nice rc to add to the collection. I could use a couple of these at the park easily.

it was the snap ring retainer clip. it was too small. that's why it kept popping off. I looked in my bin and found one from another shock (no idea what it was from). it was a little bigger, tiny bit, and had a wider surface to hold stuff in. I cut a bit off to get some squeeze and tossed it in. so far so good.

I also used some grease I fill the fg difs with and put in front forks. now they have dampening. I was going to take it out but when I woke up the ground was white. I'll take it to work tomorrow night and run it there. the office area has a good hangover and a few good speed bumps to jump. the manager has seen a few of my gassers but wanted me to bring something electric to run around so he could see anyway

dude you want one. we have allready decided to start a racing class at the indoor electric off road. there are about 6 here now and the lhs are bringing in more.

on 3s it will balloon the tires off the rims. I am going to strap the inside with duct tape tomorrow. the gyro can take full speed with wheels off the ground though. that is a step up from the ricky alone. I am not a big electric fan but I can take this outside at 6 am when I get home from work and go driving. just the wheely factor alone is the coolest thing I have ever seen hehe. I love this bike.

Attachments

• DSCI0001.jpg
    DSCI0001.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 14
it snowed then rained... when the rain washes the slush away, I'll go rip it up. I have 2 days off so I'll grab Rich and head over to the BMX track about 10 blocks from here. He can film the destruction... all the hop ups are coming in January.... breaking something lets you upgrade, it's the rules man

I did change a couple things. I saw a vid on rcgroups and one guy mentioned the wheel snagging the body on jumps and locking up. I just popped the top caps and flipped the whole suspension around. it moves the wheel out a bit and no snag. you need to put some shoe goo on those threads anyway. it's an aluminum cap into plastic housing. that also gave me access to the spring. I just dunked them into a grease tube and put them back in. covered about an inch of each spring and stuffed it in. now it has front dampening, not a tamiya mini friction shock.

I also looked at how fast my rear fender is getting damaged. until I get the brace, I took the screws out of the seat and tank and installed velvro underneath. it'll give more and buddy's arse will push it back down. easier to get access underneath.. you have to unscrew his feet, fold him forward, unscrew the top... can leave the rider on now and just undo it. I'll figure out body posts after I get a new body part and brace

looks killer Pip. this may be the way to get into a dirt bike on the cheap. sounds like its pretty druable too.

Here it is with the body on. With full compression the tire touches the cutting board. but it keeps the battery tray about 2-3 mm off the board. good trade off.
DSCI0001-2.gif
DSCI0002-2.gif

Pipe you got me sold on one - I was pondering and then I say your thread - Looks like too much fun! Almost all of us around here (where I live) have dirt bikes anyway (Redbud) this will be cool and I cant even get hurt ;) Thanks for the post!

I'll have video tonight. buddy took 8 mins running at a grss field today. was bloody cold out... and the axle bolts? RED loktite for me. Lost a bolt and the odd shaped spacer today... I think the spacers from an fg gear cover will work, same odd shape.. might have to get creative though... and on 2s it is ok but I am going back to 3s. it just isn't the same...

I swapped the 2s in and tried 3s in the new ofna 10sc. 3s in the ofna is just stupid.. we got 3 mins... tires just turned into pizza cutters. was doing good but the rx battery I added died in like 3 mins (I have a schulze esc with no bec... going to toss the 2s in and steal the castle bec from my rally... need the rx from the cheap radio to try anyway)

it's by far the easiest motorcycle I have driven. we are racing them this saturday at the indoor offroad track. should be a hoot. if I can't get someone to film, I'll grab a link to what is posted on our local forum because I am sure someone will film them

Would love to see the racing. I'm thinking of getting one. Would be different for me. I always wanted a bike but could not see using it on road all the time. With it being off road I will use it all over.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks