Engine Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Joe

Hello everyone,
Happy New Year to all of you. I have a Losi 5T with an engine problem. I bought my 5T in 2017 so it's not one of the newer 2.0's. It came with a 29cc Dynamite engine. It is still stock, no upgrades. The last time I had it out at the end of a run the engine stalled out. When I went to restart the engine I could hardly pull the pull starter. When I got it up on my rocket stand I removed the spark plug and tried the pull starter and it worked just fine. I removed the muffler and used the pull starter and I could see the piston moving up and down thru the exhaust port. I put the spark plug back in and again I could barely pull the starter cord. At first I thought the engine overheated and seized up but without the spark plug the piston moves freely. I spoke to the repair tech's at my hobby shop and they were baffled. They called LOSI and were told that the recoil spring in the pull starter was wound to tight. There is nothing wrong with the pull starter. Has anyone out there had this problem? Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is? I am seriously thinking of replacing the engine. I have not pulled the engine out yet but will soon hopefully to find out what is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Big Joe

So there's really 1 thing that will cause that which would be the coil has loosend and is contacting the flywheel. Unless it's so flooded that removing the spark plug relieved some pressure but fuel would have puked out of the exhaust and spark plug hole so I doubt that. In order to check the coil gap you need to remove the engine or you can cheat like I do. If you want to leave the engine in just remove the whole rear as an assembly off the chassis, you need to loosen the engine and remove the 2 engine mount screws to the chassis that threads to the fan cover. Once you remove those you can sneak the fan cover off and check the coil gap.

As for the engine stalling it could be a multitude of things but check the coil gap first. If the coil contacted the flywheel it could cause enough friction to stop the engine from running.

What does the plug look like? All black and wet? I think it's flooded. If it turns over freely without the plug in, I would say it's flooded. Pull the plug, turn it on it's side, then pull the pull start a few times and let any remaining fuel spray out. Replace the plug with a new one, set the carb to factory settings, and try to start again.

Thanks to all of you for the helpful info. I will let you know what I find once I pull the engine out. I would never have thought to check the coil gap.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question. When I pulled the engine out and removed the fan and engine covers I discovered that the ignition coil had come loose and dropped down contacting the flywheel. The ignition coil looks like it took a bit of a beating so I am going to replace it. Thanks to REP 732 for the info on what to trouble shoot. Can anyone recommend the best ignition coil as a replacement. Also what should be the gap between the coil and flywheel.
Thanks to all
Big Joe

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks