Engine wont start!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

hi guys, i have a zen g290 and a carb i taken off a G320 which is brand new pretty much, ive reset the needles to L:1.5turns & H: 2turns

Ive not long rebuilt my FG and decided to throw in this zen 290 thats been sitting in my box for around 5years! (was working last time i used it!).. Anyway i fit the new carb & Primed it, then after 1 or 2 pulls it started then died after about 1 or 2 secs.... since then its been a bugger to start... but same thing, will start for a second then die. Ive flooded it a couple of times by over chocking it etc trying to start it, but its easy fix (spark plug out tip upside down etc!!) But then i will try again, it trys to start but then goes dead, i was literally trying for around an hour then gave up on the pile o sh!t!

Checked all the usual things... fuel lines are new, carb is getting fuel, plug sparks etc

Also tried various carb settings, no joy. I have a new piston ring & gaskets, would a worn piston stop it from starting, would this give the result im getting where it will start then die pretty much after 1 or 2 sec?

I have a feeling its this poopy carb to be honest as im sure its the one i taken off my zeng320 when i had issues starting that engine! i may have a look if i have a 990 or 813 lying around and try that! ...any suggestions :) ?

Like i say, the first try... it started for around 3-4 secs, then died.. since that, its been a nightmare to start, and when it does it barely for a second, then dies. Also i was getting like a backfire sound sometimes when trying to start it!?

Cheers!

I'll say it now as I've said in the past. Pop pressure..
This is a good piece of information, not the first time you had to explain what this means of how to do it. I know now from one of your explanations. But,
it should be a sticky, it's a real simple and important diagnostic, but there is a but of knowledge needed to add the gauge, then if necessary fiddle with the needle valve spring.
Kinda like that gauge they give you with the spiral diaphragm, important to check, but I have never needed to ajust one ... but if you don't check you could end up with ...the wrong pop pressure?

I'll say it now as I've said in the past. Pop pressure..
Nope! Same carb that i had issues with last engine when you said pop pressure, so i did all that!
Always swap with known to work parts.
Is there any known issues etc using stock carb off a zen32 on a 290? But like i say, will have a look around later today in my box as im sure i have an 813 in there that was off this engine originally when was last working 👍

Only issue could be that the carb is a small amount bigger, shouldn't starve it for gas. If that is what's happening? Do you have an in line spark tester that will flash with engine running? Just a thought to be sure the spark doesn't cut, but it does sound like a fuel issue. When I was a kid a ran bombardier elans, needle valve would stick constantly, anyway, I had an old oil can filled with gas mix and would throw some straight into the carb to get it running, usually the vibration would unstuck the needle, but you could confirm lack of gas if it runs on a secondary source

Try fresh spark plug....
this was a fresh plug, new fuel lines/filters/clunk etc.. i really do think it is just a dodgy carb, as this was the carb that i think i had issues with on my dibby 2.0! ..i did the "pop mod" as suggested a while back for it but still same prob...so gonna try a diff carb.

@tizdaz did you do it correctly? I'm not questioning your ability, just curious as to what pressure you got it set at. It has been awhile since we last spoke about carb issues.... to recap in a whole here, does the issues follow this carb? Honestly I don't use 1107 carbs on anything smaller than a 32cc, been using 990's with the pop mod just fine. A fellow racer needed a carb so I gave him my spare 1107 that I pop modded and it was too much fuel at my tuned setting for the 34cc. You may need to lean up the carb and at this point lean it out till it runs then fine tune it. The flooding bit sounds like it's just too much fuel for that engine.

@Rceverywhere I'll make a proper write up and put it in the engine section.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks