fg build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been a while again. with the christmas season ive had little to no time to look at my car. i did find a few bits and pieces on ebay just over a week ago. picked up a set of aluminum front upper control arms, although i bought them for the metal rod ends that came with them, and i got an f1 style air filter setup. nothing too exciting, just a few bits i found for next to nothing. however santa treated me well, i was given an FG 4 fold locking diff for christmas. with that, the end is now in site, just a pair of servos and some shocks.

did a little more work on it tonight. the laterbacher rear uprights don't use bushings for the hinge pin hole and were a little sloppy causing almost a full degree of toe change. i was going to drill them out for nylon bushings but there wasnt that much room and i was a little concerned about them breaking or cracking. after looking at the FG knuckles i discovered like the front control arms they have set screws to tighten the knuckle to the hinge pin. i decided that this would be the best way to go.

163775_1711624783790_1033255980_1972367_6193400_n.jpg

and yes i did clean the excess locktite off. its one of those things that doesn't seem like a big deal but will go a long way to making the car handle more consistently.

right now im at the point of hurry up and wait. still waiting for my ebay stuff from before christmas. its been over 2 weeks, but with the holidays its only been something like 8 days. i also put a big order in to hobbytek in germany, most of it is parts for my dads car although their are a few goodies for mine. ive also got a pair of servos on order. if all goes right i should have everything this week or the beginning of next week, and id say by the end of the month it'll be ready to rock again.

no sign of either of my orders yet, however my servos did come in today. hitec 7985mg servos may be a bit overkill for the brakes, im sure something around 130oz/in would have been plenty but id rather have too much power. i hate to admit it but this is the first car in all my years of r/c that has had digital servos, and i have mixed feelings about them. i mean, im rather impressed with the speed and precision of them, but the downside is that i now want them in everything, and thats another 6 servos lol. now that i have the servos in ive figured out the channel mixing and how to adjust brake bias from the radio, ive also figured out how to set the radio up so i have a line lock to do burnouts lol. i had to do that, just cause i could.

got my ebay stuff, it didnt turn out so well. i had an f1 style air cleaner, it wasnt packed very well and got cracked in shipping. the aluminum control arms were alright, however the aluminum rod ends i got ended up being 3 lh thread and 1 rh thread, so not of much use to me at all. oh well, joys of ebay, guess thats what i get for buying used parts. the guy is actually pretty good, he will take the stuff back and pay my shipping costs, however i was able to fix the air cleaner, and really its not worth it to send rod ends back i payed less than $10 for. guess ill just order the right ones from vancouver hobbies.

on the upside my hobbytek order is in canada now, should have it soon

hobbytek order came in. seems like it took forever, reality was 8 working days, so not that bad at all.

164341_1724990797932_1033255980_1997710_6988673_n.jpg

so here is the list
-25 tooth pinion
-39 tooth spur gear
-nuts for turnbuckles
-steering rod ends
-castor clips
-e-clips
-taper discs for metal rod ends/lower control arm spherical bearings.
-best part, 2 pairs of evo shocks

the bad part was i was so tired from work today that all i did was stare at my parts, had no energy to actually work on it. i did manage to fix my f1 airbox, ive got something cool for that.

i know how you feel,i got my delivery from hobbythek last week and too tired to strip the thing,hobbythek are to efficient parts come to quick lol..........phil

that was the first time ive dealt with them and i was happy. was a little confusion regarding the 19% vats, but everything got sorted out. i was rather impaceint with it, but in reality its no longer than shipping out of the states or elsewhere in canada, and it didnt cost much more in shipping (this was a big order, the stuff shown was for me, there was more for my dads car).

ill have ot get busy tonight and start putting the car together.

I honestlythink I get stuff faster from them than the states unless I pay fedex or ups high end shipping, then it's here in 3 working days (or 9 over christmas LOL.) and cost me what $125 to ship the 4wd conversion that way.

tough call.

Great looking build!! I love the on road cars and ave been jonesing for an F1 since getting into 5th scale gassers. but, i ended up with a 2nd hpi baja setup for street and lowered (not quite the handling abilities of the FG cars sadly :( )

I was wondering, is that a true F1 chassis? I was wondering because the front bumper on it seems kinda large and resembles some i've seen on the touring/rally style cars ( forgive me i don't have much 1st hanf FG experience) Although i love my baja's i have to admit that i think all the european cars are built better when it comes to technical specs and the fact that they use a lot more aluminum rather than the crap plastic HPI uses.

I'm hoping to start on another custom scratch build of an F1 car when i get my new mill (my current one isn't up to the technical little peices anymore because of the slop in the table after 13+ years of use)

anyway, love the pics man, can't wait to see some video of it running... you have any plans for a different engine in the future?

let me know if you decide to sell them brakes :D ( I had a deal worked out to trade two of my new 2-speeds for a complete set of hydros on the baja but it fell through i guess, the guy wanting to trade was supposed to get the brakes back from his friend but i haven't heard anything more from him since i agrees to the deal :( )

Sharkey runs a touring car, Alfa body. I have an FG F1... actually the only F1 in our group so it just gets to do some laps and look cool. There's a few guys running bajas with us. but it's not the same as running a touring car to me. open wheelers. they should run with the f1 LOL... I could turn my throttle travel down to about 75% to make it fair I guess ;)

yea its a touring car, if you look in some of the earlier pics from this thread there are pics of the body. i eventually plan to change the motor, however for a parking lot track i find i cant yet use the power i have already. id like to go down to a 23cc ported motor, more rpm would be a bonus, but at the soonest id say next winter, the cy26 still has lots of life left.

gotten a bit done in the last few days. the shocks are now built and on the car. i gotta say, if anyone ever questioned FG quality id tell them to build a set of these shocks. the machining is immaculate , they have teflon bushings in the shock body and seal retainer cap for the shock shaft to ride on, they are just like jewelry. also got the steering rods together, the spacers for the upper arms front and back set up, finalized the brake line routing, and a few other bits

167571_1727789147889_1033255980_2002056_3339591_n.jpg

167327_1727789547899_1033255980_2002059_1843808_n.jpg

166129_1727788987885_1033255980_2002055_1211136_n.jpg

the blue rod ends are going, they will make good spares, however i have a set of nutech rod ends coming for the rear, just so happens the only way you can get them is 2x left and 2x right thread in a set, so i guess ill have some spares. those are the last parts im waiting on, once i get those ill have the car finished and it'll be time to build the scale setup.

oh yea, sneak peak at the air cleaner. not finished in the pic, i color sanded and clear coated it after the pic was taken
162835_1727789427896_1033255980_2002058_6221253_n.jpg

if you look back in this thread you will see it matches the body

Oops, my confusion there, I thought i was in the F1 section or some reason when i posted that after reading this thread. it was late and i was braindead i guess :lol:

still a nice looking built ewither way, i want a dedicated on road car some day :D

thanks for the link. i did find tires, one of the guys that runs with us was trying to get large scale going here about 10 years ago and became a dealer. end result was it didnt work so well and he ended up with a lot of stock. he still has quite a few sets of tires left, i even managed to get a 2nd set of rims last year, i now have 4 different compounds of tires all mounted and ready to go. i also found out lauterbacher has some left, although not a lot of selection. however for the cost of buying the tires aside from the local guy, its not really worth it dollar wise. the cost of the pegaso system tires online are the same as tires on rims, and there are quite a few benifits to buying the latter (never dealing with stripped squares, newer compounds of rubber, not having to mount tires). im going ot use this guys supply up and move on, should get at least the rest of this year with what he has in stock.

thanks for the positive comments. its been a fun build, quite a challenge too i might add. its 99% complete (for now), just waiting for some rod ends and then to do chassis setup.

i got the last parts today and am just wrapping up the build. the nutech rod ends worked out alright, although they are kind of heavy (they are steel not aluminum). spent a couple hours doing chassis setup and have most of it taken care of. i picked up a couple kitchen scales for setting corner weights, something that many think is not needed but it does go a long way to help the car handle consistently.

167610_1734037864103_1033255980_2013336_1064958_n.jpg

36274_1734038024107_1033255980_2013337_897826_n.jpg

164100_1734038144110_1033255980_2013338_7517283_n.jpg

the scales work quite well, they are made by starfrit and are only 1/2" thick and are goo up to 5kg or 11lbs.

ive had a chance to run the car, took it to our gathering last weekend. the lot was very dirty and we had to build a smaller track than usual because of some puddles. despite that, the car worked very well. its far more predictable in all aspects. the adjustable diff works quite well, i did have to run it quite loose however i found as it got a little warmer and the track cleaned up a bit i was able to tighten it up a little. the brakes are amazing, no more darting in one direction when braking. i also find that with the rear not braking through the diff with the driveline brake it makes the car far more stable braking into a corner. overall im very happy with my winter build.

that being said, im already slowly collecting some pieces up. earlier in the month i purchased an fg comp chassis, although that seems it may be lost in the mail (seller is willing to refund my money if he cant track it down). today i won an fg evo aluminum large engine mount/ quick mounting clamp combo with the evo gear plate. ive had my eye on this setup for a while, just had to find the right deal on it. i think its safe to say that with these couple of parts the car has crossed from sportsline to comp. the only plastic parts still on the car are the front lower control arms, front bulkheads, rear bulkheads and diff riser. i think soon here ill have to start screwing another car together out of spare parts.

I've been looking for 5 spoke wheels for my mclaren body(to be more accurate to the real thing).

There's mention that these are Pegasus Beadlock wheels earlier in the thread but I can't find a website or even image of them aside from this thread.

Are these available anywhere?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks