fg build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are actually called pegaso wheels. they are a great design in imo, however they are no longer made. you may find some web sites with them still listed, but they are a thing of the past. the only reason i still run them is we have a fellow racer that used to run a hobby shop and when he closed up he had a ton of stock left. he has a selection of tires still left, once those get used up ill be moving to pre-glued stuff.

Thanks for the info guys.

@atom
Wheels look great! I'm in the US unfortunately and if they're custom alloys they're probably out of my budget.

@sharkey
Didn't realize they were a "system" of sorts. Probably not a suitable solution if the tires are discontinued. Great build thread btw.

i love the german postal system, has to be the fastest in the world. i received my large mount/gear plate today, 4 days after the end of the auction. very happy with that. that however is offset with dissapointment for my chassis. the seller tells me his shipping company didnt send it because they were waiting on a confirmation because of the extra cost to ship it. now a month later he is asking for more money to ship it. i do believe the price he is telling me as thats what other chassis from the uk are listed at, however there is no way im paying more for shipping after a month. he did offer a refund, so i guess i don't have an evo chassis anymore

well, a month and a half later, i finally got my chassis. was worth the wait, its in quite good shape, im quite amazed at how few scratches there are on the bottom.

206986_1897500910577_1033255980_2251574_8163811_n.jpg

215397_1897501710597_1033255980_2251576_1999549_n.jpg

took the body mount adapters off, cleaned it all up and polished it. the large mount/quick mount/gear plate setup isnt quite a bolt in, i think some parts are mismatched (not a big surprise). the diff mounts on the evo are taller, making the large mount taller to line up with the brace, and the mount wont sit onm the chassis properly, it seems a little short. im going to have to do some research on that, i can make a spacer to bring it to the correct height.

i got the car all back together after a couple days of work. chassis is 100% for sure a sportsline race chassis. i had to drill holes for the evo radio tray, drill and tap holes for the fuel tank vent nipple and my radio box, although that was expected. i made a spacer for the evo large mount, and had to get creative with the diff brace to get it mounted as the evo large mount is taller. i could have cut the mount so its the same height as the sportsline diff mounts, however im sure at some point ill end up with aluminum diff mounts, may as well just get the evo ones at that point so it all works correctly. most of the rest of the car went together without much issue, all i have left is the linkages and chassis setup.

at this point the car is now more evo than sportsline. really all i need in alloy is diff mounts, front uprights, front lower control arms and shock towers. almost have enough to put another car together

Hi,ive been following this build for a while now, and would like to say i think you are doing a great job and are right on the ball,will be good to see the finished product!(thats if you stop modifiying it,even after the build is done!)hopefully in the near(ish) future,i will have the skill/knowledge to do something similar to one of my fg's!keep it up, this is how people like me get to learn stuff! cheers!

its together, ive run it twice this year, however its never finished. i had it together, ran it once, then changed the chassis and gear plate/large mount, and i ran it last weekend. it worked very well, quite impressed with it so far. i still have some plastic on it so i have some more stuff to keep an eye out for used.

my projects are never done till i either sell or retire them.

hey there just found this thread as im having the exact same problem i have two engines to choose from to mount on a spare fg comp chassis however one is out of a baja and one is out of another car both have funny cluch housing, so i have just bought a second hand special zenoah clutch housing off ebay for touring cars with the bolt fixing of centre. If that fails i will do the same as sorry dude think your names sparky bad memory lol, totally got the idea from your photo that great idea so ya i will try the two bolt rotation trick if all fails looks good thanks dude. will keep you posted.

id advise against doing that. with the mess of parts i had to start with, some being offroad stuff, others being knock off brand, it just didnt work well. once i got the car to run long enough the alignment issues with everything caused the large mount ot melt around one of the bearings and ruined my day.

if your getting the fg car clutch housing you will be ok. technically its the fg car housing thats "funny," the other style is standard zenoah/cy.

heey sharky, i got my clutch housing today i took a punt from the photo and luckily it was identicle to the one on my expensive fg, i'm converting a carson to an FG comp chassis, (bit of backround there lol :) ). so ya got it in the post today, just got it all fitted now spent hours trying to get the clutch off and clutch carrier, used to good two screws in it to pop it out trick. thanks for heads up too i wont do the thing with the other clutch housing to avoid melting.

took some fresh pics of the car tonight, figured id post them here.

405397_2948423102975_1033255980_3100683_854054611_n.jpg

426201_2948420742916_1033255980_3100679_998525440_n.jpg

404246_2948428063099_1033255980_3100692_358865684_n.jpg

im now down to calling it an evo. aside from front lower control arms and a rear shock tower, its is. didnt get to run the car much last year, sorted out the chassis setup a little. i did decide to pull the motor apart for the first time this winter and what i saw wasnt so good. i was way down on compression and the plating was thin, typical cy26. i decided to downsize it with a 32mm zenoah top end and toss it back together with some new gaskets and the wt771 carb i put on late last year. this winter i also finally put the evo diff mounts and aluminum risers so everything lines up correctly. also get a pair of evo 04 front bulkheads. the next order i put in to hobbythek will include the couple things that are still needed to call it 100% evo.

:eek:I'm modifing my smartech with aloy, and i'm down to putting on cable brakes on the rear, can you post some pictures of your's so I can get a general idea how this all goes together?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks