FG Monster truck RHINO Digi 4 Steering Servo PROBLEM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mik3y

Hey everyone.

I just finished building my FG monster competition truck.
I have the Futaba 4PK radio and R604FS FASST 4 channel receiver.

My truck uses 2 Steering Servos ( I bought 2 brand new Rhino Digi 4 Multiplex) and 2 Brake/Throttle Servos (I bought 2 brand new Hitec 7955).

Prior to connecting the servos together, I tested each one and all worked fine.

I connected the Steering servos via Y cable to Channel 1 and brake and throttle via Y cable to channel 2.

I used a 5 cell 6V 4600mAH battery for power.

After turning on the power, I tested the steering and everything was smooth.. Then about after 2-3 minutes, the steering bacame sluggish. I decided to disconnect the steering servo's from the Y cable and test each one individually and noticed that 1 of my RHINO Multiplex servos was DEAD. It would not power on or show any signs of life.
This situation happend TWO Times. This is the second Rhino servo which has died in a similiar fashion as I have described above and both of the servos who died were on the RIGHT side.

Can someone please help me and tell me if I am doing something wrong??? Is it better to do the "Mixing function" and Mix the steering servos?

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

thanks
Mike

Mike I don't have the answer but something almost the same happen to me. My marder used a dual steering servo setup also and worked fine. I took it out and put it in my Monster and both steering servos died and i still don't know the cause. Maybe when someone answers your question they will shed light on what i did wrong also.

Mike I don't have the answer but something almost the same happen to me. My marder used a dual steering servo setup also and worked fine. I took it out and put it in my Monster and both steering servos died and i still don't know the cause. Maybe when someone answers your question they will shed light on what i did wrong also.

If everything worked great on your marder...why did it die all of a sudden on the monster truck?? Did you use the same Y cable from your marder? Did BOTH of ur servos die at the same time??

ALSO...I checked my servo saver and steering mechanism and it is SMOOTH like butter without any resistance.

I am just curious if the RHinos that I received were from a "bad batch" or something. I just don't wana get a 3rd servo and have it die again.

Where you able to fix the problem?? Did you just get new servos afterwards and re-installed everything via the Y cable into the FG monster truck?

i email hitec and they said to send them in just haven't yet cause i know the warrenty if done. So i don't know if its worth fixing or just buying a new one. I was thinking of just running one Rhino. I have one hitec on my Monster now and the one is working perfectly fine so i don't know if im going back to a dual. Might just put the Hitec in my Marder and get the Rhino for my Monster.

So you think its ok to run 1 rhino on the monster? It wont overload the servo?
Which monster do u have? Comp? or standard?
Where in brooklyn do u race? floyd bennet?

I think one will do fine. Ive been running with it like that with no problems. Ive been to FBF a few times its cool but they just run straight lines. For me it gets boring after a while, I like to bash that why i bought a Monster (2wd) also.

Last edited:
BTB, thanks for the link. I just checked it out and its way over my level of expertise to try to repair the rhino.
After reading the information in your link, it says that the rhino has some "weak points" and tends to burn out when the user has done nothing wrong.

My question is this:

What other steering servo would you or anyone recommend for the FG??

Thanks again

Two would be massive.:eek:
I can turn no problem with one. I would worry about them fighting each other and putting stress on each other.
If some want two then buy two and keep one for a spare. :laugh:

1) is the HS-5745MG the most powerfull 1/5th scale steering servo made by Hitec or do they make a more powerfull one? What about titanium gears?

2) what is the best way to avoid the servo's fighting with each other? I think i have everything lined up evenly. Do u need to program the servos in any way to avoid having them fight each other?

hi, the 5755 is practically the same as the 5745, has a different output gear that the horn fixes onto, much larger gear which sharper splines (much better design).

I run the 5755 on mine, will turn the front wheels on any surface. if your sitting still it does struggly but any servo would when the wheels arnt moving.

Get one 5755 and see how you go, im sure it will be plenty for any condition.

I fried my 5745 on my MT but that was my fault, any servo would have fried for what I did to it. Prior to that I had run 12 tanks on my MT with the one servo and that servo came out of a Baja so its quite old!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks