DBXL 2.0 GaFFLe’s DBXLe 2.0 ==> Work in Progress <==

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All wheels on.
View attachment 69528

Drove it with 16T pinion and on the 2nd day, the front 5mm hinge pin ripped out sending the wheel sailing...

View attachment 69529
So I’m looking for Titanium 5mm hinge pins to go in the front wheel axle OR I may use the thicker hinge pins from a Lost 5T and possibly drill out the stock axle to accommodate them. The IRP hub adapters accommodate both 5mm and slightly larger pins.
Get a carbide bit and drill the axles out. don't muck about with the smaller pins. Just will give more shite.

carbide
Get a carbide bit and drill the axles out. don't muck about with the smaller pins. Just will give more shite.
I’ve been reading. It seems Cobalt may be better to get through a hardened piece of metal.
Bored, my ride’s currently down and part shipping is at least 2 weeks away. Recruited a new driver for the Team!

AE71DD0C-2B7E-44D8-9B08-97483984D66B.jpeg

Carbide will outlast cobalt by a large margin, only downside is it's very easy to break off if you don't have a steady hand with them. I keep a few on hand here at the house if something really hard gets broken off ie a tap or the likes. I have 2 cobalt sets, and a HSS set. I normally go for the cobalts, but they have their limitations with hardened steels. The carbide cuts right through.

Carbide will outlast cobalt by a large margin, only downside is it's very easy to break off if you don't have a steady hand with them. I keep a few on hand here at the house if something really hard gets broken off ie a tap or the likes. I have 2 cobalt sets, and a HSS set. I normally go for the cobalts, but they have their limitations with hardened steels. The carbide cuts right through.
Point taken... Carbide it is!

I appreciate you may not have torn into the diffs yet, but I've literally just ordered myself a DBXL-E 2.0 and I'm curious if you could shed some light on the tolerances within the rear/front diff.
If there's any slop, I'll order some shims hopefully in time for when the car arrives and I'll rip it apart for the alloy diff houses to go in.
I'm going to be upgrading the electronics as well, got any videos of yours ripping around?

Last edited:
I appreciate you may not have torn into the diffs yet, but I've literally just ordered myself a DBXL-E 2.0 and I'm curious if you could shed some light on the tolerances within the rear/front diff.
If there's any slop, I'll order some shims hopefully in time for when the car arrives and I'll rip it apart for the alloy diff houses to go in.
I'm going to be upgrading the electronics as well, got any videos of yours ripping around?
Right on time... I just upgraded the center diff by doing the below:

1. changed oil to 1M weight silicone
  2. upgraded bearings to Boca Yellow sealed ceramic
62F69213-3C51-4E4A-AE9F-C0233B35BE36.jpeg86B3F42F-3143-4C99-BF19-DE951812F7CB.jpeg
image.jpg
That ATOP differential will be for the rear. With my 1M weight center oil, I expect more power to be concentrated to the rear. I hear and see horror stories of the rear diffs failing after guys have upgraded power plants. I have Boca Yellow bearings replacing the rear bearings as well. The rest of the car will use some simple Fast Eddy sealed bearings which I already have on-hand.

Last edited:
Right on time... I just upgraded the center diff by doing the below:

1. changed oil to 1M weight silicone
  2. upgraded bearings to Boca Yellow sealed ceramic
Appreciate the feedback, I'm actually spooling the centre since the more I use them, the more I realise I hate centre diffs.
All it does is limit my gearing options and blow tyres up lol.

Everything looks reasonably chunky in your photos, just hope they hold up.

Jesus... this ATOP rear diff is nice quality but was an absolute B*tch to install the two halves together where the bearings meet the housing! I had to put it on a vice, use a mallet and massage both sides on. I used some copper gasket maker to insure water never reaches the inside of that diff. New bearings are on too in all but one area (the tolerances were too tight):

image.jpg

Hey guys, are cap-packs worth the added weight trade-off for these buggies? I’ve got an XLX2 + 1100KV Castle combo on the way... image.jpg

Hey guys, are cap-packs worth the added weight trade-off for these buggies? I’ve got an XLX2 + 1100KV Castle combo on the way... View attachment 70510
Somewhat subject to opinion really, my brother has an XLX2 and is pulling around 300 amps without smoothing caps.
His ripple is about 0.6v if I recall correctly.

Personally I would run it with one anyway, any extra smoothing can only help and the weight difference is basically nonexistent in consideration of the vehicles weight.

I'm interested to see how it will run, my brother's XLX2 is throwing his Baja around like a toy.
I take it that's not a first batch XLX2?

I'm jealous of the BRPs, waiting on RCMax to get some slicks in so I can run half decent gearing.
Currently on 13T/50T 12S pulling about 200 amps, that's half of what my ESC is rated for.

I'm interested to see how it will run, my brother's XLX2 is throwing his Baja around like a toy.

I'm jealous of the BRPs, waiting on RCMax to get some slicks in so I can run half decent gearing.
Currently on 13T/50T 12S pulling about 200 amps, that's half of what my ESC is rated for.
These Super Spikes grip like CRaZy! I've never run the stock tires or Badlands so I cannot compare but I can't imagine them offering the grips these spikes do.

No... this is the latest XLX2 batch released in March 2021.
Wiring done + connection for cap packs. IMG_2077.jpg

Been putting off this steering servo for a while but figured I’d go ahead. I have one of these in my 5T 2.0 as well and it seems like the de facto unit for these 5th scalers:

65F4E8B3-7452-4139-816B-DAC7E24B3BA3.jpeg

Integy 5th scale heatsink
Alza Racing dual-fan base mount w/ inserts
Alza Racing carbon-fiber dual fan cover
Home Depot counter-sunk washers
Unit powered by Power Hobby 3S battery via its balance port
Power switch incorporated to go on receiver box

FC78F12B-D73E-4080-9AEC-AF73EF70F3B6.jpegB871946D-8F60-4C78-8DF2-5C130DE97EDB.jpeg84CD505E-582B-4C1B-87EA-C147B5011FDA.jpeg063F850F-CD8E-421E-9D35-450F55F98AD6.jpeg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks