Going brushless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After dealing with family (including new great granddaugher) and working and the return of warm weather, It's time to finish up the Baja. Last thing I did was discovered that the lay shaft for a brushless is shorter than the one for the gas baja. I'm going to upgrad the transmission case while I have it out. I saw something that looked interesting, a short chassis for the baja 5b. Can anyone tell me what the advantages and disadvantages are for this? For those that are wondering, I like building and tinkering more than I like driving these things.

Once again, work and family have taken up a lot of time. When I last worked on the buggy, I had put the wrong lay shaft in, which kinda sucked. I ordered a new lay shaft and decided since I was going back in, I should upgrade the transmission case. Now I have the TR aluminum transmission case and the right shaft in it. My evening was quiet so I decided to get the rear end wrapped up. Time now to consider what radio system. I'm considering the Spektrum DX5C kit. I also needed to get the battery box. I ordered one but it's coming out of Europe so might take a while.

With the AVC receivers you need the AVC turned off to work properly with kill switches. The receivers with AVC work fine with kill switches when you disable the AVC, in that case why buy one with AVC stuff. Unless they have changed, the AVC receivers are six channels when the AVC is off but only 4 when it is on. May be diff now but I don't know the newer Spektrum receivers.

The problem with AVC and kill switches is that when the AVC is on and the receiver loses signal from the transmitter the receiver will not kill the motor. At least the AVC receiver I tried in the past would not work right when the AVC is on/active. It was a 6000 something receiver, came in a Losi super rock rey.

I set up my kill switches to work on a switch on the radio like normal, button D on my radios. Set as two position switch, on/off. I also set them up to kill the motor and set the brakes if the receiver loses signal from the transmitter.

This thread has some info on AVC and kill switches

https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/kill-switch-and-avc.29727/

Last edited:
He's working on an e-word. No remote kill switch. So avc isn't as much an issue like on a gas rig.
I like futaba, never cared for speky on land based rigs, and won't ever run them because of the avc issues, cheap feel, etc.

I had a kill switch when the buggy had a gas motor. It had not occurred to me to use one with a brushless motor. Is my thinking wrong?
So I don't have to worry about a remote kill switch on a brushless buggy?

Last edited:
Back