Help choosing a big bore engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAVE1979SK

Hi . I want to buy my first big bore engine for Baja. I am deciding between Taylor rc 40.46 gt and ALX super 40.50 and 63 malossi. since I'm from Europe, I don't care which manufacturer it will be.. but I already have a t35 reed from Mike and I like the customer service. I currently have a budget of only 1800 euros for the engine. so at that price you can buy gt40,46,alx 40 and 50 cc.. I like the alx 63 the most out of all engines , both in performance and appearance .. the original plan was not to go higher than 40-48 cc . but I really like the 63. it costs the same price as the GT50 (2000 euros +-), so I would have to save money... but the question is... isn't it an unnecessarily powerful engine for a baja? I drive on an place the size of one football field. and I would probably drive with a 24/50 gear ... when I watched the videos I like the 40 gt more than the 46 and the alx 40 I like more than GT . but they're just videos, and the reality is something else.. I'd rather have more rpm than torque . and I don't want anything too insanely strong . I still want good controllability on grass. so what would you recommend me? thx

You havr alot of options, all good. Your service from both will be great either way. One of my favorite smaller cc engines is a 40, I have quite a few videos of mine on my YouTube. To me, 46gt isn't an option, very similar characteristics of a 50gt, so just narrow it down to a 40/50/63. The 50gt is probably one of Mike's best selling engines, has the perfect amount of everything in a middle of the road price and size. If your not worried about weight, the 63 would he my choice, but if you want to be a few pounds lighter, then the 50gt I'd grab.

All 3 of those are going to have similar powerbands, alot of torque, with tons of mid pull and out of the hole.

The Supreme line is more geared towards rpm, if that's what you want. 55 Supreme would be a great choice if that's what your looking for. Running many of both, I've found Mike's engines from around the 50cc mark and smaller are wicked, and just hit harder than alx. But, from around the same cc mark and up alx engines are just the opposite. The 71p, 85 engines are insane.

Thanks for the reply John. And how is the weight of the engine 40 vs 46 vs 50 gt .They are approximately equally heavy ? It's clear to me that 40 will be the lightest weight , but it's a negligible difference ,or ? I've only seen them in photos and they seem the same size. the cylinder is about the same, only drilled for more cc or not ? . I also wanted to know if it is better to use a 62 mm clutch system than stock 54 on the gt40 , or is it recommended 62 mm for 46+ engines ?

so, I will not invest more than 1600-1800 euros in the engine. so I ruled out gt50 and alx 63 .. there are 2 options T40 vs Alx40 .. and t46 vs alx50 (price +- same) .. it's a difficult decision . if it were gt40 vs alx40, can anyone tell me any argument why i should by preferred one engine over the other? I did not find any comparison anywhere. or should I choose only according to the appearance of the engine? ))

You won't find many comparisons, they are so close in performance. You'll love either one, personally just go eith your gut or what looks best

yes john. I see it as both great engines. It's more of a question of whether to save some money or not.. and we have to wait 3-4 weeks for alx and 10 days for taylor. so even if the taylor is a little more expensive, I'm more decide for him.. probably more for the 46 gt .. but if I were to take the 40 gt, I can use the carburetor from my t35 reed and save something .. the 46 gt with the carburetor is only about something more expensive than 40 gt also with carburetor. so I can buy it straight away 46, if it is a bit better engine . on the videos it seems 46 gt is bit more stronger. I mostly see him riding on his back wheels )) or on the roof )) so I don't know if it will be too strong for me .. but a video is a video and the reality is something else .. anyway, I'm determined . and I don't like smallbore engine anymore . I have 3 and not one of them is strong enough for my heavy baja))

Stay with the wj146 bigbore carb on these. They run so much better than the 990/1107 style carbs. if I were you snag a 40gt now with all the options as everyone of them is beneficial, billet head is the least beneficial but is worth while still.

I say snag a 40gt because once you get one, you'll likely want something else slightly bigger. Then you could get something like a 55 Supreme or a 50gt.

Stay with the wj146 bigbore carb on these. They run so much better than the 990/1107 style carbs. if I were you snag a 40gt now with all the options as everyone of them is beneficial, billet head is the least beneficial but is worth while still.

I say snag a 40gt because once you get one, you'll likely want something else slightly bigger. Then you could get something like a 55 Supreme or a 50gt.
Can't you swap out to a larger bore top end too? Can't remember if it was Taylor or alx that shares strokes through some of the displacement offerings.

Can't you swap out to a larger bore top end too? Can't remember if it was Taylor or alx that shares strokes through some of the displacement offerings.
gt 40 can be adjusted to 55 supreme and gt 46 to 65 supreme. I wrote with mike .. and he recommends 46 gt before 46
sorry mistake .. 46 recommend more than gt 40
gt 40 can be adjusted to 55 supreme and gt 46 to 65 supreme. I wrote with mike .. and he recommends 46 gt before 46

so i ordered t46 gt . it is more expensive than alx 40 by 200 euros. But Mike talked me into saying that 46 is better than gt40 and alx40. I have no reason not to believe him. in addition, I also ordered a wheelie bar + gearings 24/50. If I already have a engine at home. then I want to buy sx5 rollcage and kraken rc extended arms. I want to ask . I will also need stronger gears in the gearbox, or can the hpi original ones handle it?? . what else will I need? this is what my baja currently looks like..

IMG_20240405_121908.jpg

IMG_20240405_121637.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-15-57-043_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-08-12-14-22-994_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Nice choice ! Congratulations !!!
Do you have blackbones gears for your transmission?
Rpm front bumper ? It's cheap but save a lot, not needed if you go with the SX5
With the extended arams you can pair them with IRC extended driveshafts

Nice choice ! Congratulations !!!
Do you have blackbones gears for your transmission?
Rpm front bumper ? It's cheap but save a lot, not needed if you go with the SX5
With the extended arams you can pair them with IRC extended driveshafts
thank you broI. i still use IRC dogbone set on smallbore now too. I also have extended irc dogbones at home, which I ordered once by mistake instead of short ones 😁 .. blackbone transmission gears will have to be bought as well .. thanks for the suggestions . Mike send me the engine and other stuff Friday this week . so I assume that I will have it at home by the end of the month . I still have time to think about the build 🤔🙂

I'd get a tr or Taylor quickdiff, as long as you have the alloy diff, the hpi stuff will handle the 46gt. They can usually handle anything 50 and below.

Certainly never hurts though to upgrade if you can to the blackbone setup

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks