How does 50wt shock oil respond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rep732

The alchemist ☠️
Community Leader
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
I got a bottle of 50wt from horizon for my shock issue and yes I bought another bottle from seeing another post saying it took a little less than 2 bottles to do all 4 shocks. I seen people on here saying they run 42ish on here with good results. How does 50wt do in these rigs?

I figured it was going to be "ok" I prefer quicker rebound but since I put the orange TLR springs in that are stiffer im hoping to compensate for the thicker fluid. And honestly I'm not thrilled with the stock oil wanting to lay the chassis on the ground every chance it gets

The oil helps to control the compression and rebound speed, springs keep it off the ground. You'll only be able to go so heavy on either till it handles like it's got no suspension. If your running the factory fluid you'll likely see marked improvement with the 50 weight, but I personally wouldnt reccomend too much heavier then that for a basher. The shocks need to be able to react fast enough to absorb the tough terrain, but soft enough to allow the springs to maintain ride height and keep the tires in contact with the ground as well, and all this has to happen at the same time. That's why a lot of shocks (automotive, offroad) have variable calving built in them. To try to get better rebound vs compression rates, and even cycle speed can effect how the valve works. Here we have static holes. No valves or the like built in. So were really just trying to find the happy medium, as fluid cant compress (for all intensive purposes) and can only flow X amount through a given restriction at a time.

Now I'm second guessing the 50wt lol. Honestly I'm out 6 bucks if this is the case. I don't want the truck to ricochet off bumps I just want it to cope better than stock

I'd use it, you bought it already. The 2.0 shocks are easy as fek the bleed any way. Like I was trying to say, I wouldnt go any heavier. A fair few of us run 45weight and rather like it. Shouldn't be much of a difference. I think factory is 30weight.

I'd use it, you bought it already. The 2.0 shocks are easy as fek the bleed any way. Like I was trying to say, I wouldnt go any heavier. A fair few of us run 45weight and rather like it. Shouldn't be much of a difference. I think factory is 30weight.
I appreciate the input. I do have to say I am impressed at how well educated and knowledgeable you guys are on this forum whether it be r/c or real life. thank you!

I try to conclude my thoughts in threads i start and I'll say thumbs up on the 50wt...i feel that I have more control over spring preload and that where I set the spring collars do something for once. Instead of the springs doing all the work I finally see a balance with the oil and the springs ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks