How to tune a Zenoah engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One guy says bubble not full means to lean because the bubble should stay full , the other gentleman was thought it was to rich because it sucked to much fuel , or lean because it didn’t suck all the fuel out of it . I admit my 6.8 hp 260 PUM Does not have a primer bulb in my rc boat but The bubble is befor the carb not after so rich or lean either way it should be full you want to make sure your fuel delivery can Handel all the fuel the motor can use and some the adjustments on the carb cut the fuel down but it could be argued either way that it’s half full because it sucked to much out of the bubble being to rich or it’s to lean cuz it’s not sucking enough to keep it full either would be wrong cuz if the tank is full the bulb should be full weather your flooding or starving it .....THATS STRICKLY A THOUGHT I don't KNOW THAT TO BE FACT BUT SOME ONE NEEDS TO ANSWER THE MANS QUESTION WITH REASONING OR A LINK TO EXPLAIN WHY CUZ ITS GOT 3 of us wondering now as I said I don’t run a primer bulb but your trucks would drown with my carb and settings
Ps those tuning instructions are copy and pasted from performance. Unlimited word for word .

Last edited:
I’ll find a boat forum it’s clear the guy that asked the question never got his answer nor did I what I did learn was when you guys don’t know the answer you say what is it. Exactly your asking . Be it 10 years old or a day people will search the web and when it brings them here this thread will only leave them confused as it did me . When you have two opposing answers and it’s left in the air who is the reader to take for correct answer . So for you horse commenters go back and read the whole thread and give all those that are lead to this thread a definitive answer rather then a smart remark and it will prove this forum useful rather then smart mouths
Ps If you search the web TODAY for tuning a 2stroke or zenoah this is one of the top web results that’s how i got here and wasted my time signing up for this forum as will every new person that just got there first gas boat or truck will all want to know how to tune there carb in ten more years from now or next week

Last edited:
I’ll find a boat forum it’s clear the guy that asked the question never got his answer nor did I what I did learn was when you guys don’t know the answer you say what is it. Exactly your asking . Be it 10 years old or a day people will search the web and when it brings them here this thread will only leave them confused as it did me . When you have two opposing answers and it’s left in the air who is the reader to take for correct answer . So for you horse commenters go back and read the whole thread and give all those that are lead to this thread a definitive answer rather then a smart remark and it will prove this forum useful rather then smart mouths
Ps If you search the web TODAY for tuning a 2stroke or zenoah this is one of the top web results that’s how i got here and wasted my time signing up for this forum as will every new person that just got there first gas boat or truck will all want to know how to tune there carb in ten more years from now or next week
First off, F off and go back to your internet searches. The guys from 10yrs ago aren't even on the site anymore. Your direpectful tone will not be tolerated here. There is a group of good guys here that would have been itching to answer your questions but now, I seriously doubt it. So good luck with your searches elsewhere. Secondly, F off.

tbh there's a million'n'one ways to tune an engine ?as everyone will have there own little tips/tricks/do's/don't's/by ear/by smoke ect ect ect.. ? ...go to vid seems to b obr's tuning vid on u tube ?..jus tune so its running ok...then leave it?.....no clue about the bubble?.6 bubbles...2 bubbles.......long as it's got fuel in it....run it?..ita not a Aston Martin v12?
tbh there's a million'n'one ways to tune an engine ?as everyone will have there own little tips/tricks/do's/don't's/by ear/by smoke ect ect ect.. ? ...go to vid seems to b obr's tuning vid on u tube ?
??:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If you would have bothered to use the forum search function you would have seen, weve been over the primer bulb function, or it should be called the air purge bulb, just recently. And to note, in the carb rebuild thread I've recently updated with a fix for a half full primer bulb, or at least the most recent issue that I came across and help to find the root issue Gotta love when dr google shows you things that have little to no bearing on what your actually after.

Tuning a Zenoah engine.

MIXTURE SETTINGS.

Zenoah G230/G260/G290 RC (H) 1.1/2 turns (L) 1.1/4 turns
Settings may also be the same for the CY/Fuelie engines?

These are the factory settings on the mentioned engines. They are set according to local conditions. This is depending on the air filter, exhaust and climate conditions. Use the above settings as a starting guid line and depending on what your engine set up is, you will probally have to make some slight adjustments.

BASIC CARBURETOR ADJUSTMENT.
As I said earlier, the standard settings are just a guid line and most carbs have to be adjusted, If you feel that your no-load (L) or your full load (H) screws are completely misadjusted, then carefully close both screws. Then turning them anti clockwise follow the settings that are listed above.

STARTING A COLD ENGINE
Always make sure the throttle is in the closed position. Now apply the choke which is on the carb on the solo and Zenoah G230 or on the air filter on the earlier Zenoah engines. Press the primer pump located on the carb until the pump is full of fuel, this you will be able to see. Pull the handle until you hear the engine try and start, this usually takes 2-4 pulls. When you reach this stage, open the choke and give another couple of pulls. This should start your engine.

STARTING A WARM ENGINE
Make sure that there is fuel in your primer cap and that the choke is open, then pull cord.

BEFORE YOU START
Before you start to tune your engine there are a couple of basic things that you should check first. Firstly make sure that your spark plug is in good condition. You do this by simply scewing it out of the cylinder and checking it, if the electriod looks too oiled up then change it as it will make things a lot easier. Most plugs come with the gap pre set but it wont hurt to check to make sure its right. Secondly make sure you have enough fuel as it soon runs low with all that testing and reving, also make sure that your filter is on nice and secure with no possibilty of air leaks. And lastly make sure your batteries are nice and charged. Let us begin!

BASIC TUNING
This is based on the assumption that your car starts but is not runing right. Firstly make sure that you have the mixture settings set to the factory settings. This is quite important at this stage. Then Screw the idel scew in till it bites on the spring that it is set in, then give it one more full turn. Doing this should keep your revs up once you have pulled the starter and got her going. Before you pull the starter make sure your radio is on and working. Pull the starter and after a couple of pulls she should start, if not then you may have a problem which we will cover in our trouble shooter section. Whilst the car is running you will be able to tell if the engine is reving to high just by listening to it. If it is turn the idel screw out slightly(anti-clock wise), only slightly as the engine is still cold and does need to warm up, it is pointless trying to tune a cold engine. Drive the engine until it reaches working temperature. If you notice that the engine decelerates during acceleration, then your engine is running too lean. To rectifie this the no load screw L should be turned anti clockwise. Imagine the screw being a clock, then your adjustments have to be made in 5 minute turns, in other words very small movements. If the engine revs up slowly and runs rough under clouds of smoke, this means you are probally running with an over rich mixture. In this case you should turn the no load scew in clockwise by 5 mins at a time until you have rectified the problem. Run the car repeatedly making minor adjustments until you are happy with the way it is performing.

MAXIMUM REV RANGE
In order to adjust the maxium range of speed, lift the rear wheels and rev the engine shortly at maximum revs. Now you can adjust the Full load screw H to the left to lean off the mixture or to the right if too rich.You will hear the engine reaching its peak revs and you can also notice when it starts to loose the peak. The best way to tune your car is to run it on a track or field and make your adjustments after each run. Remember to make very slight adjustments at a time, this way you will see your improvements a lot better.

POINTS TO REMEMBER
When tuning your engine, after every run make sure you check the bubble on the carb. If this is empty after testing then this means your engine is too hot and running too lean. What you should be looking for is a full bubble or nearly full at least.

TOO MUCH SMOKE
You should also be aware of your engine if it smokes to much, this means it is running too rich and is getting too much fuel. To adjust this turn your L screw in by 5 mins, remember imagine that the screw is the face of a clock, small adjustments is all you need.
Hi i have set my ow and high screws as it states. But when I try to start fuel c9mes out the caberator and the exhurst. Does that mean the diapham is bad ???

Hi i have set my ow and high screws as it states. But when I try to start fuel c9mes out the caberator and the exhurst. Does that mean the diapham is bad ???
double check yer needles mate, wind all the way in but so they bottom out gently, don't force em tight or you may damage the tip of the needle or seat,
then wind out the 1 5/8 low and 1 7/8 high, thats for an 1107 carb, 668 carb is 1 1/4 low and 1 1/2 high,
you aint trying to start with the choke on are you ?
starting should be choke on, one or two pulls maybe three till you hear a pop from the engine,
choke off then it should run after teo or three more pulls,
fuel out the carb and exhaust means its flooded,
take the filter off, tip car towards the carb so any raw fuel drains out, let the filter dry out then refit, tip any raw fuel out the exhaust side as well,
take the plug out and pull it over a few times to expell any excess fuel, fit a fresh pug or make sure the original ones dried out properly,
also check for spark as well, then do the above start procedure (y),
if it does the same thing and floods badly , then start to look at the carb diaphram etc,

My idle screw has no effect on idle revs for some reason. Is it OK to use radio throttle trim instead?

Means your trim is set too high. The servo shouldn't be in control of the idle speed.
Trim is neutral, maybe I have to move it back or forward a notch on the servo horn
Also isn't it doing the same thing? You're just opening up the butterfly a bit. As long end points are set?

Last edited:
No, you should be relying on the carb idle screw for idle rpm adjustment. It has to do with consistency. When set right there should be no tension from the servo on the carb at idle speeds. Get the carb to idle properly with the carb then set trim and epa.

So the basics is get the engine to run. Put the car on a box or whatever with the wheels off the ground. Let it worm up. Doesn't really matter how high the idle (screw) us set, just so it will stay running. Run your low jet in slowly till the engine picks up rpm. Note this position. Run the low jet put till the engine rpm drops off. Note this position and go in between the low rpm and high rpm. Your not setting idle with the low screw. Now turn your idle screw to get your idle where you want it. You may have to play with the low screw a little, but truthfully you shouldn't be far off base settings. Then proceeded to hook up the linkage and set trim and epa. Then you can start running and tweaking the high screw. Don't be surprised if you need ro go back and tweak the low screw after a high adjustment.

So the basics is get the engine to run. Put the car on a box or whatever with the wheels off the ground. Let it worm up. Doesn't really matter how high the idle (screw) us set, just so it will stay running. Run your low jet in slowly till the engine picks up rpm. Note this position. Run the low jet put till the engine rpm drops off. Note this position and go in between the low rpm and high rpm. Your not setting idle with the low screw. Now turn your idle screw to get your idle where you want it. You may have to play with the low screw a little, but truthfully you shouldn't be far off base settings. Then proceeded to hook up the linkage and set trim and epa. Then you can start running and tweaking the high screw. Don't be surprised if you need ro go back and tweak the low screw after a high adjustment.
Cheers, I think I'll have to to adjust the linkages. I understand what your saying but the idle screw has no effect on rpm at all. This is the problem. It is screwed all the way in and there is still no charge.

It's not the tune, pretty sure the linkage isn't letting the carb close completely so the idle screw has no effect. Just finished watching F1 quali so out Tothe shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks