HPI Baja Clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what i am saying is a run in is always good to do but not really necessary on items like chainsaws and trimmers because any high quality company (none of that wally world garbage)will run the engine at the factory for at least testing which will serve the same purpose as a break in but not for as long as rc manufacturers recommend.

another reason a little break/run-in is a good idea is do to as one poster mentioned flat spots or an incomplete or run not long enough from teh factory. by all means please let us all know how many times you have to have your engine maintained :D

Flat spots? Where
Engine Maintenance? It's a 2 stroke, it's not like I have to change the oil in it.

I've had my motor in my truck for 3 years and over 25 gallons of fuel running at 50:1 and my motor fires on the 3rd pull everytime and it's piped. I've had it flip over and break the throttle lever off and rev at well over 20,000 rpm for over a minute and never had a problem...

Do you know what "Breaking In" one of these engines Really does?

It wastes gas!

Fire it up and beat the snot out of it, if it blows, it would've blown eventually anyway!

I do the same thing in my Real cars too.

BTW Chainsaw manufactures don't break in motors either... They just make sure the motor fires, then they shut it down, slam it in a box and slap on a made in China sticker and sell it.

I understand you are like the "Chainsaw Guy" but some of us on here have multiple cars with multiple motors for each car (I know I do) and we know what we are doing. And in case you missed the point, Atom 3624 was playing with you.

Do some reading, you will find out a ton of new information.

Last edited:
Drive it like you stole it. I used to do the break in method on onb website but that takes like 4 days of piddling. Now I fill it up start it, warm the engine then start tweaking needles. Last 2 I broke in on the track running against other cars.

My old solo is long since discontinued. I've never even replaced a spark plug in that motor. after many years I finally just replaced the ring (picked one up for $10 so why not?). It didn't even need a ring really as the motor screams still. f1 was a more mellow run in because the tires sucked so I couldn't go balls to the wall, or I would have. I still tried but the spinning out scared me to throttle back, not fear of blowing the engine.

with these motors you need to get up to temps quick to seat things in. running overly rich for a break in is actually worse for the motor as it can wear and not seat properly as it isn't reaching operating temps. so you just spew fuel out and the break in doesn't actually happen until you tune it.

Flat spots? Where
Engine Maintenance? It's a 2 stroke, it's not like I have to change the oil in it.

I've had my motor in my truck for 3 years and over 25 gallons of fuel running at 50:1 and my motor fires on the 3rd pull everytime and it's piped. I've had it flip over and break the throttle lever off and rev at well over 20,000 rpm for over a minute and never had a problem...

It wastes gas!

Fire it up and beat the snot out of it, if it blows, it would've blown eventually anyway!

BTW Chainsaw manufactures don't break in motors either... They just make sure the motor fires, then they shut it down, slam it in a box and slap on a made in China sticker and sell it.

I understand you are like the "Chainsaw Guy" but some of us on here have multiple cars with multiple motors for each car (I know I do) and we know what we are doing. And in case you missed the point, Atom 3624 was playing with you.

well to each their own, i personally run the first few tanks of ALL of my 2 cycle engines whether it be a trimmer, a chainsaw, an edger, or my r/c because i have done small engine maintenance for years and it was those that "drove it like they stole it" guys that were my best customers constantly bringing back their engines for repairfor one reason or another. NO breaking in does NOT waste gas, just to clarify since it appears you don't understand, what you are actually breaking in is NOT metal to metal contac parts. you are in fact breaking in gaskets if that makes any sense to you. the break in (IMHO) is for finding leaky gaskets than anything while at teh same time having a little more lubrication in the engine. another thing you are not considering is that even though teh engine is ringed teh sleeve actually has some micro fine pits in it which fill with carbon as teh engine runs and causes friction which running rich helps combat.

i don't have anythign against those that do not follow a break in process personally in fact to each their own, i am merely stating that i do it and always will do it. and one more thing to point out when it comes to your real car and breaking that in, do you honestly believe that the car is not ran at all when you buy one off of the lot? ummm no.

Thats Voo's method and his engines are always super quick even in standard form and he gets good life out of them. Its the future!!

As Andy said,I run then as they are meant to be ran from the start and never had any issues,they are quick and have great life.
Chainsaws and strimmers and other domestic/industrial machines are started in the factory and then shut down straight away( I worked three years in the industry),they are not broken in.
As you said Raptor,each to their own.
J

well to each their own, i personally run the first few tanks of ALL of my 2 cycle engines whether it be a trimmer, a chainsaw, an edger, or my r/c because i have done small engine maintenance for years and it was those that "drove it like they stole it" guys that were my best customers constantly bringing back their engines for repairfor one reason or another. NO breaking in does NOT waste gas, just to clarify since it appears you don't understand, what you are actually breaking in is NOT metal to metal contac parts. you are in fact breaking in gaskets if that makes any sense to you. the break in (IMHO) is for finding leaky gaskets than anything while at teh same time having a little more lubrication in the engine. another thing you are not considering is that even though teh engine is ringed teh sleeve actually has some micro fine pits in it which fill with carbon as teh engine runs and causes friction which running rich helps combat.

i don't have anythign against those that do not follow a break in process personally in fact to each their own, i am merely stating that i do it and always will do it. and one more thing to point out when it comes to your real car and breaking that in, do you honestly believe that the car is not ran at all when you buy one off of the lot? ummm no.

Now you stepped in it...

I built my first small block Chevy when I was 12 and my first big block at 14. I was running a blown 327 in an 11 second 70 SS El Camino through high school before I got my BS in Automotive Science from Northwestern Automotive in Lima Ohio, the Harvard of automotive schools. I was on the deans list twice. Graduated with Honors.

After college, I was the Service Manager of Berger Chevrolet at age 20, making $75,000/yr. in 1998.

Then I became a CNC Machinist for 3 years before I became a Cad Programmer, then I went back into the shop to be a Tool and Die maker...

Yeah, I know nothing about engines or metallurgy.

You done pissed me off dude! I am usually a nice guy, but when the noobs come in acting like they know what's what, it's very annoying. Do some research before talking smack to someone...

That is all.

Now you stepped in it...

I built my first small block Chevy when I was 12 and my first big block at 14. I was running a blown 327 in an 11 second 70 SS El Camino through high school before I got my BS in Automotive Science from Northwestern Automotive in Lima Ohio, the Harvard of automotive schools. I was on the deans list twice. Graduated with Honors.

After college, I was the Service Manager of Berger Chevrolet at age 20, making $75,000/yr. in 1998.

Then I became a CNC Machinist for 3 years before I became a Cad Programmer, then I went back into the shop to be a Tool and Die maker...

Yeah, I know nothing about engines or metallurgy.

You done pissed me off dude! I am usually a nice guy, but when the noobs come in acting like they know what's what, it's very annoying. Do some research before talking smack to someone...

That is all.

glad i pissed you off! i will take your comments with a grain of salt seeing as how you sure can say what you have done yet you have not posted any proof of it be it your degrees, diplomas, etc. i am usually a nice guy but i don't have time for people like you tht want to talk the talk from behind a computer screen and not walk the walk.

Careful

Lets keep it to facts or opinions and not personal. A good debate is a healthy read but lets keep the personal stuff out with the delete button.;)

just an fyi for those misinformed persons chainsaw and trimmer engines are broken in at the factory which is why it is not needed on those items ;)

The high end chainsaws trimmers ect. that we have used, Stihl being one of the many, will be tested at best by the manufacture, but not broke in. They all show break in instructions in the manuals to follow for each product. They also run a much different head and piston with most running two rings.

Too slow a break in in some cases can be worse then no break in. In some cases you can create blow by in a single ring head, which can be worse in the long run for performance. The motor will run, but you will not have top compression which looses top performance. Setting the ring is the most important thing in our motors and you will find as many that do a "break in" as you will find take it easy for a bit to tune and then let it rip "no break in".

Here is the best choice for break in in my opinion:

https://www.largescaleforums.com/showpost.php?p=23906&postcount=4

:D

Last edited:
Flat spots? Where

It wastes gas!

You have to break in almost any engine, Stihl equipment comes with break in instructions, so do nitro engines, so do cars, so do motorcycles. Granted it isnt much of a break in but there is a procedure for these buggy engines as well as weed wackers etc.

Telling someone to run a motor all out when is is brand new isn't great advice. Motors in these buggys should be broken in over a tank or two of gas at varying RPM ranges but not above 3/4 throttle. The whole point of the break in is to wear the rings into the cylinder. Not gonna do anything any harm being cautious for one or two tanks.

Last edited:
You have to break in almost any engine, Stihl equipment comes with break in instructions, so do nitro engines, so do cars, so do motorcycles. Granted it isnt much of a break in but there is a procedure for these buggy engines as well as weed wackers etc.

Telling someone to run a motor all out when is is brand new isn't great advice. Motors in these buggys should be broken in over a tank or two of gas at varying RPM ranges but not above 3/4 throttle. The whole point of the break in is to wear the rings into the cylinder. Not gonna do anything any harm being cautious for one or two tanks.

Thats exactly what i do, no need to talk really you said what i was going to
say :lol:

Some people don't even do this process, they put petrol in a rag the fooker :w00t: not a wise move......

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks