HPI Baja Clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HTML:
its an exact clone

Until you drive them and you see how bad the quality is...then you start to vomit, and realise that you have just blown US$500 on the original purchase:helpsmilie:, and are up for more cash when you have to replace the dodgy engine, leaking shocks, brittle plastics, poor tyres, crap servos etc etc etc.

Then the real HPI version looks like a bargain in comparison.

........hmmmm what to do, what to do:lol:

well i own a genuine baja 5bss and i cant imagine a clone being worse quality than my genuine baja. mine started to fall apart during the break-in.

so far a list of failures are:

rear tires bald
kill switch failed
bent steering link
busted final gear (output) on steering servo
spark plug almost fell out
pin holes in primer bulb
pin holes in fuel line
2 front pins that hold radio box down are to short

i personally am thinking that getting a clone and replacing parts would have actually been the better way to go seeing as if i replace all of the parts on my genuine baja or if replacing all of the weak parts on a clone it would come out cheaper for teh clone due to cheaper initial cost of the clone. with that said however the genuine does have one advantage a clone does not which makes a genuine more appealing and that is that if you do have hpi you can contact for assistance whereas you have no support with the clones.

I have a 2008 orignal hpi baja 5b it's ben siting for a year. i have pics of my last rebuild in 07/2008 i built it for my wife.now i am thinking of buying a king motor baja 2.0 and a new motor for my wife.I had ok luck with the hpi 5b but i did brake a lot of parts on mine and my wife didn't brake as much. like any thing a lot can be sed for how hard you play by how much you pay.

I have a 2008 orignal hpi baja 5b it's ben siting for a year. i have pics of my last rebuild in 07/2008 i built it for my wife.now i am thinking of buying a king motor baja 2.0 and a new motor for my wife.I had ok luck with the hpi 5b but i did brake a lot of parts on mine and my wife didn't brake as much. like any thing a lot can be sed for how hard you play by how much you pay.

yeah but when you are doing the break in (slow and easy) there is no need for parts to be rekaing and wearing out especially in teh first 2.5 tanks 2 of which were break in and not having anything in the wide open field to hit that would cause somethign to break. although hpi is taking care of me in some ways there are a couple of other things hpi could improve on like not requiring servo to be sent in and instead just sending out a replacement servo gear set, and NOT telling customers to buty aftermarket parts to replace stock ones in a baja that is 2.5 tanks old.

i allways run my new motors in .a piston or head can have slight highspots from new and getting them to hot to quick can cause scoring on the piston,

when i got my FG, i just did 1 or 2 tanks giving no more than 1/2 throttle, then 3rd tank WOT.

just wanted to be safe than sorry & i was used to running in nitros so it was no biggy, had it done in an hour or so & to this day (about 5 years ago) ive not once changed my piston ring from new! ..although it is on the list, but my zenoah is still going strong & theres no signs of wear & tare, still as much power now as there was from when i 1st got my MB :) ..but im about to order a new piston ring & head gasket etc. Not cuz i need to, just because i think i should give my engin a belated xmas prezzy \o/ lol

.... so are you saying that you SHOULD take it easy for the first few tanks, run rich, heat cycle, etc., ?
Al.

what i am saying is a run in is always good to do but not really necessary on items like chainsaws and trimmers because any high quality company (none of that wally world garbage)will run the engine at the factory for at least testing which will serve the same purpose as a break in but not for as long as rc manufacturers recommend.

another reason a little break/run-in is a good idea is do to as one poster mentioned flat spots or an incomplete or run not long enough from teh factory. this also include a little run in to make sure all of teh seals and gaskets are 100% properly sealed and seated, but if you or anyone else prefers to just open up teh box and give the engine hell more power to you and by all means please let us all know how many times you have to have your engine maintained :D i have a mcculloch chainsaw i rebuilt right after it was discontinured and with the exception of the fuel tank o-ring leaking now it is still running and i DID do a run/break-in on it after rebuild ;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks