HPI Baja Clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a very DRY sence of humor and wit. I always have. Some folks may not like it, and that is their perogative. but then these folks tend to be very PC, and would rather 100000 people starve, than one cow be butchered so that 100000 can eat.
yes, i to tend to over exagerate my "anolgies" but thats what makes the world an exciting place to live in.

maybe that perticular quip was a stretch of the imagination, but the thought process is just the same, unethical and beyond reason imo.

if you would read my post, you see I was not at all, trying to make a "COMBACK" as you say, or implying that I would, just saying that the thought process of someone that would do such a thing is born of the same idealologys, or lack there of.

I divorced my wife, becuz she had an issue with fidelity, so trust me, i do not take infidelity lightly, but a comment on a forum, though off color maybe, is far from a personal attack as you seem to feel i have commited.

Last edited:
i have a very DRY sence of humor and wit. I always have. Some folks may not like it, and that is their perogative. but then these folks tend to be very PC, and would rather 100000 people starve, than one cow be butchered so that 100000 can eat.
yes, i to tend to over exagerate my "anolgies" but thats what makes the world an exciting place to live in.

maybe that perticular quip was a stretch of the imagination, but the thought process is just the same, unethical and beyond reason imo.

if you would read my post, you see I was not at all, trying to make a "COMBACK" as you say, or implying that I would, just saying that the thought process of someone that would do such a thing is born of the same idealologys, or lack there of.

I divorced my wife, becuz she had an issue with fidelity, so trust me, i do not take infidelity lightly, but a comment on a forum, though off color maybe, is far from a personal attack as you seem to feel i have commited.

I like to debate with you. We should find a new topic though. I like how you don't resort to childish name calling and keep a level head and positive demeanor. I respect that, and you for that.

debating inspires creation. and if the debating is for the betterment of humanity im all for it. lol

i think i should become a lawyer. but i just don't know how i could live with myself, being most lawyers i know are slimey bastards with low to no morals or ethics. lol

debating inspires creation. and if the debating is for the betterment of humanity im all for it. lol

i think i should become a lawyer. but i just don't know how i could live with myself, being most lawyers i know are slimey bastards with low to no morals or ethics. lol

Right, but the lack of morals and ethics comes with a nice big paycheck at the end of the week. Gotta evaluate if you would sell your morals out to lead a comfortable life style.

id rather have a clear conciense then a porsche.
i know MANY people the subcribe to money buys you happiness, it doesn't, but it can make it easier. thats for sure.

meh turning another clone bashing thread

(checks around to make sure this isn't HBF... :phone: )

so clone owners are ok here?? :boat:

P.s heres a question, why is it all HPI parts bags (in australia) are stamped "MADE IN TAIWAN"

'cos they are ... same with their better HB Cyclone range

Cheaper range like E10 are "Made in China"

yes, you guys are safe here. you need to get the info you need to fix them up so they work well for you and you can get the enjoyment you expect.

while im not keen on the manufacturers as they do nothing for the industry or their customers, the owners typically either didnt know any better and are as surprised as anyone else at their models poor durability, or like many, need to watch their pennies.

either way you guys want to enjoy your RCs as much as we do, and we want you to enjoy them as well.

truth be told, all you clone bashers MADE ME TRY A CLONE :donatello:

meh... been playing HPI for like 15 yrs, they do good designs...
afterall they're ex-Kyosho (been playing those & Tamiya for 30yrs).
RC market would be totally different without Savage & Baja.

I usually avoid chinese no-name due to Parts (non)availability

Plus they LOOK crap - I like good looking stuff and the Baja is very good/realistic looking.

With HPI parts fittable & its just as good looking... why not? :clown:

(wife's reply to the "why not" you've already got a real one... we'll ignore that)

Looked at a few, most looked dodgy... chose an "early" KM.

So far so good! :ph34r:

Plastics have held up ok even though they look rougher.

RTR electronics are only fit for the bin, won't dare run with them.

My biggest complaint would be... they aren't really "RTR" out of the box.

Air filter is dry, the shocks need work & engine gaskets all need sealing.
Gearbox was a bit stingy on grease and the diff topped-up.
All screws going into metal need threadlocking too.

Plus radiogear needs replacing & kill switch installed.

Shell looks PET not polycarbonate, will be brittle.

Got the original 3-part CY-clone crankcase, appears going strong.

As for original HPI...
- all 4 suspension arms worn &/or cracked/broken (added extenders)
- thinwall SS pipe is annoyingly loud @ jarring high pitch
- SS clutch hammers drivetrain hard, bends dogbones & boots rip regularly
- clutchbell broke on my first run - looks like a mfg welding fault

As a half-price backup, clone is proving more reliable than the HPI :cool2:

mmmm?

hello lads can i just butt in here and share my thoughts on this complicated matter lol

i personally myself do not like clones at all,i think they are a rip off of the original product,but im afraid thats just life,as far as i can see there is always going to be sombody to try and copy the original and try and improve/disimprove and sell cheaper/more expensive.

example,band forms up five members stay together and make loads of money,sell lots of albums,do really well,then bang..... they have disagrements and some member decides to leave and go solo,starts up his own band and pretty much continues selling pretty much the same material as the original group.well the point im trying to make is this happens and somebody said to me on another forum that one of the engineers from hpi left hpi company and started up his own buisness making his own cars,mmmm maybe he started up the name km and continued his original product which he felt he pairtially owned copyright to in the first place,who knows why copies happen but im sure most are for reasons like this.....now im not a man to believe everything i hear but im sure a lot of the time its reasons like this that copies happen.

its happening lads and im against it but im afraid we are just going to have to put up with it....
let those who like them continue with them and i wish them luck but let those who dislike them like me continue also lol :devil::2guns:

everybody has there own preferences lads at the end of the day..

Last edited:
Tamiya, you make good and fair points. there are a few things that make a huge differance. mainly your experience level. being an avid rcer for 30 plus years makes you far from the typical RC or LS noob who is looking for thier first large scale purchase.
you knew what to expect, and what needed to be done to the clone to make it more worthy of running. most noobs *(no disrespect to noobs) don't really know their arse from a hole in the ground, unless they are moving up from a smaller elec/nitro, then they atleast have some rc experience.

as far as being more durable, i defer to your list of things you did to the clone to bring it up to your standards before running it. while it may not be much to a seasoned vet, most of what you did may be 4D physics to the general noob, which is really these clones biggest customer base.

now im not saying the HPI is flawless, i own 2 and can say they arnt, but for the cost, imho, they are a far better value in the long run, especially for the new folks coming into this great hobby mostly DUE to the baja and the Hype it has stirred in our inner youth.

we are just going to have to put up with it....

i sincerly hope you don't really mean that. the more we become compliant with the status que, the less rights and freedoms we will have as a Free Society. i know we are talking rcs here, but compliance is a cancer, and will spread without indescretion.
i say why put up with it. all one can do is educate and spread the facts and let people make their choice.

good point timmah i agree with you,we strive for quality and i don't want to see our complete 100percent genuine models that are built to a high standard being taken over by clones that are just a cheap copy.

i want genuine 100percent!!!

and what ever we have to do to rid of cheap copies we should all act together and do something about it.

after all we are the consumers at the end of the day.

sorry clone lovers....

well if we were to take a LONG HONEST look at all it entails. the clones have as much right to be made sold as a genuine article.

the differance is the customer. if they are truely educated, and still chose the clone for whatever reason, cost of admission, don't care about the issue, ect, then when they have problems, they have no one to hold responsible except them selves for making a poor buying decision.

but if the customer just didnt know, or make impulse buying decisions, then they should hold the manufacturer responsible and rightly so. but we all know the manufacturer or retailer of said clone will say TOUGH poop! its yours buy parts to fix it.

thats where we come in.

i don't want to make any enemies with anybody over expressing my views about clones.

i don't care who buys them thats there own choice,i suppose for the budget concious buyer they have the pro's but i just don't like them,but there are some nice looking clones out there like redcat rampage and km baja they actually look the real deal and for way less money.

but my opinion is i think they do really take from the true manufacturers.

again just my opinion,i have never had a clone so i cant judge on the build quality.

i have juast read/heard lots of bad news on most.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks