HPI Baja Clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't put words in baja's owners mouths! I am a baja owner. Its' real simple, just because HPI didn't make it, doesn't mean its junk. Thats the only point I was trying to make!! Some people cant afford to drop $1000 on a HPI. If they have to buy a "clone" for half the price and enjoy the hobby...good for them, more power to umm!!

I can agree with that. I would be disappointed buying one and aftermarket parts not fitting. That's just me though. I've bought too many junk rc's in my life and would hate to go down that same path with something gas powered.

Do you race out at Timberline in Kansas?

I can agree with that. I would be disappointed buying one and aftermarket parts not fitting. That's just me though. I've bought too many junk rc's in my life and would hate to go down that same path with something gas powered.

Do you race out at Timberline in Kansas?

You wouldnt be dissapointed at all.....all HPI baja stock and hopup parts fit the KM baja clones

Look at this clone and all the hopups.... $385 for a 1/5 RC buggy..... You cant beat that!!!
.....................................................................................................................................................

The KM Baja has been out now for about 8-9 months....I have yet to see 1 post on any forum... from a owner complaining about not being able to use HPI parts or aftermarket hopups or parts not fitting

desertrat005.gif

Last edited:
csp1971....I have not been able to make it out there yet. I actually only live about 30min from there. I live in Leawood. are you familiar with that area? We should try to get a few guys together and do some bashing. I cant wait til next season though. Cant wait to pick on some baja's with my redcat! :)

Ordered mine Direct from KM

Just purchased a KM KSRC 001..Km had it to me for 380usd plus 110 shipping to the Philippines.I also added a KM tuned pipe for 35usd..all in all i've put in 525 usd for the KM KSRC 001.Looks pretty good deal for a 1/5 scale buggy....way to low from an HPI 5b..Even before I have a hand on my buggy , Im up to purchased hop ups for it.. arms, shock towers, high rpm clutch,etc.Estimate it will cost me about 200-300usd for the hop ups.That will be closed to the price of stock HPI baja SS. I bash pretty hard on my rc's so I will test the durability of this KSRC 001 engine and suspensions.But anyways,all stuff that has moving parts will eventually get its time to break ... the time only depends on you handling your toys...Ive got a a brandnew tmaxx 3.3 but it takes me less than a month to break a conrod due to excessiverev on the the engine.I replaced it with another brandnew 3.3 but this time it was well within its limit.Same with these HPI and Clone bajas.If you run em fast and reckless, you'll end up on your pocket. Yes these clones are made in China, but it doesn't mean that these is thrash.Look up to your computers, cameras cellphones and other stuff and see for yourself if the manufacturer is from the USA.... if you see one you hit the jackpot.HPI, Traxxas and other rc stuffs are made in Taiwan and some parts in China.....Nevertheless, if budget is not a problem... go for anything thast makes you happy... In this hobby... all we are longing for is happiness and satisfaction. https://www.largescaleforums.com/forum/images/smilies/cool2.gif

You have seen my KM clone on here. Every part i have bought is advertised for the hpi 5b or ss including the 28.5 big bore kit and the dom pipe. The only km items i have bought are some spare rear foams and some spare wheel nuts, only 'cause they are less than 1/2 the hpi price.

You know what I find funny? All these people come on here saying that they can get a phone number to call and a warranty to have when the HPI baja breaks. A friend of mine has a 5b ss and the motor just would not start after 4 tanks through. Not jumped hard or abused for that matter (driven around a soccer field). When he called hpi they had him tear apart the engine and take pictures of the inside. They couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. Their response was sorry its not going to be warrantied bring it to a lawnmower shop and have them fix it. Seems like a crap answer for a product that costs almost 900 dollars. Im bidding on a KM 29cc baja right now, hopefully Ill win it and Ill write a big review on it.

Sounds like a plan!! Let us know how it goes...

RGR

Just paid for it a minute ago, the seller is located in south florida, im in Atlanta, so it shouldnt take but 2-3 days to get here.

Im looking forward to this because there is NO WAY it could cost any more than my HARM 1/5th scale. 350 dollars for a body....... 150 for decent tires...... Im so over that. lol.

if HPI didnt warrenty the topend, then it must of had damage. its known the cy motors have a plating issue. if the damage didnt look like plating issue, but more like dirt/sand ingestion issues, then that is not a warrenty clain period. I would be interested in seeing those pics.

you guys can spend your money on the KM. but when the next best RC isnt designed, manufactured or realeased due to lack of sales that go to this (and all) POS CLones, then don't fn whine about it. just keep buying that junk and keep posting on forums how good it is until we have nothing to buy but poop from Integy and other CRAP ASS COMPANIES>

i don't slight anyone for their purchase, but don't expect help when you need it is all im saying. and don't expect innovation of new parts, or new RCs or new ANYTHING>

These clone companies (integy included) only care about there weekly bank deposits.
if you need help your just fked, as they will offer NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! period.

so buy the clone, kill the future of RC. Period!!!!!!!!!!!

and don't even try to say clones are as good as orignals. I ve never tasted SPARTEN Brand Mac n chees that even REMOTLY come close to box of Velveta shells n cheese.

if HPI didnt warrenty the topend, then it must of had damage. its known the cy motors have a plating issue. if the damage didnt look like plating issue, but more like dirt/sand ingestion issues, then that is not a warrenty clain period. I would be interested in seeing those pics.

you guys can spend your money on the KM. but when the next best RC isnt designed, manufactured or realeased due to lack of sales that go to this (and all) POS CLones, then don't fn whine about it. just keep buying that junk and keep posting on forums how good it is until we have nothing to buy but poop from Integy and other CRAP ASS COMPANIES>

i don't slight anyone for their purchase, but don't expect help when you need it is all im saying. and don't expect innovation of new parts, or new RCs or new ANYTHING>

These clone companies (integy included) only care about there weekly bank deposits.
if you need help your just fked, as they will offer NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! period.

so buy the clone, kill the future of RC. Period!!!!!!!!!!!

and don't even try to say clones are as good as orignals. I ve never tasted SPARTEN Brand Mac n chees that even REMOTLY come close to box of Velveta shells n cheese.

First off when this thing does break HPI parts will be going on it, secondly why would no one give me any help with it? Im confused. Im pretty sure if I neglect to mention its a KM baja Ill have no problems getting help on any baja website. Thirdly more rc companies copy each other than you may think, in general companies copy each other all the time for stuff. Im sure these big companies would care less about who buys what car, its such a small part of the market segment that would actually purchase one of these, they probably look at it as a moot point. :donatello:

basically it not that anyone wont give you any help, but KM or the Retailer you bought it from wont help out with warrenty, any service, any advice and if your lucky you ll get a replay email saying GL.

now most of the folks around this forum and HBF, will be glad to help *(but be aware getting help for a KM will undoubtably leave you open for razzing and maybe a lil hand slapping saying, you should of bought the real thing in the first place.)

and its quite obvious the parts that need to be replaced will be HPI parts or Upgrades for the HPI. who would buy the same pos part that let you down in the first place. much of the reason my Mean Green baja is 50% aftermarket, and my Hooters baja is around the same.

if you visit HBF and read thru my posts there, you ll see i not only praise HPI for their work and customer service, but i ll call BS even on HPI, as i have done many times. im sure Rob has more than one grey hair as a result of my flaming of HPI when i see something and call BS. lol

im not a hater, just a clone hater mostly due to they Take 100% away from the hobby and the typically good people who enjoy it, and give absolutly nothing back to their customers but greif, empty wallets, and broken parts piles. thats just the facts of life on the clones.

Now i have to say, while the Himoto Redcat is a close clone to the MCD, it isnt too bad, and they AT THE MINIMUM offer customer support here in the stated via the Rampage name. So i ll give love where love is due, but ill also throw handfulls of poop into the spinning fan blades and see what sticks when BS Is being perpitrated.

call HPI and ask them about their position on the KM unit. i doubt very much its a mute point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i look at it like this. YOU R&D a widget. after all the work and manufactureing ramp up. you figure you can sell your widget for 50.00 each, that covers all imparted costs, and maybe give you a 10% profit margin when its all said and done.
now move forward 2months. lets say Integy suddenly has a Widget on the market that is NEARLY If not TOTALLY Identical to your widget, but they sell their widget for 20.00.

now how do you feel when your sales all of a sudden go form 100 widgets a month in sale to 5 widgets a month is sales, while Integy has 95 sales of their widget, which actually is your blood sweat and tears, but stolen and made in china and sold for less than you can even buy the material to make the widget in the first place.

NOW tell me its a mute point.

Last edited:
basically it not that anyone wont give you any help, but KM or the Retailer you bought it from wont help out with warrenty, any service, any advice and if your lucky you ll get a replay email saying GL.

now most of the folks around this forum and HBF, will be glad to help *(but be aware getting help for a KM will undoubtably leave you open for razzing and maybe a lil hand slapping saying, you should of bought the real thing in the first place.)

and its quite obvious the parts that need to be replaced will be HPI parts or Upgrades for the HPI. who would buy the same pos part that let you down in the first place. much of the reason my Mean Green baja is 50% aftermarket, and my Hooters baja is around the same.

if you visit HBF and read thru my posts there, you ll see i not only praise HPI for their work and customer service, but i ll call BS even on HPI, as i have done many times. im sure Rob has more than one grey hair as a result of my flaming of HPI when i see something and call BS. lol

im not a hater, just a clone hater mostly due to they Take 100% away from the hobby and the typically good people who enjoy it, and give absolutly nothing back to their customers but greif, empty wallets, and broken parts piles. thats just the facts of life on the clones.

Now i have to say, while the Himoto Redcat is a close clone to the MCD, it isnt too bad, and they AT THE MINIMUM offer customer support here in the stated via the Rampage name. So i ll give love where love is due, but ill also throw handfulls of poop into the spinning fan blades and see what sticks when BS Is being perpitrated.

call HPI and ask them about their position on the KM unit. i doubt very much its a mute point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i look at it like this. YOU R&D a widget. after all the work and manufactureing ramp up. you figure you can sell your widget for 50.00 each, that covers all imparted costs, and maybe give you a 10% profit margin when its all said and done.
now move forward 2months. lets say Integy suddenly has a Widget on the market that is NEARLY If not TOTALLY Identical to your widget, but they sell their widget for 20.00.

now how do you feel when your sales all of a sudden go form 100 widgets a month in sale to 5 widgets a month is sales, while Integy has 95 sales of their widget, which actually is your blood sweat and tears, but stolen and made in china and sold for less than you can even buy the material to make the widget in the first place.

Well then I would see how they make their widget and how I make mine and see where Im loosing money. Its how the economy works. People will still be brand loyal while others (such as myself) don't care either way and will go with which ever is the better deal. I have supported many HPI products over the years and many other for that matter. I feel that I can buy a clone just this one time with out too much of a problem. I have owned
quite a few different HPI vehicles over the years. I think this missed sale on their part is ok and self justifiable. :donatello::donatello:

Well im happy with my clone, it's pimped out and not cost me much more then a stock standard hpi rtr (so far)
How can you say these clones take 100% away from the hobby and give nothing back? And how can you be happy with one particular brand of a clone but not the other?

So many people who could not afford the hpi baja, can now afford a 1/5 rc.
Since the clones have been released, im sure you guys would have noticed the sales of after market parts have increased dramaticly, infact the hole 1/5 hobby in general has exploded.

Lets face it the after market parts are what make the baja (clone or not) imo the best bashing 1/5 money can buy.
You've even said yourself, two of your baja's are 50% after market.
If the Hpi is so much better then the clones why have you swaped 1/2 of the hpi parts out for after market?
People who choose to buy a clone will be doing the same thing, (swaping parts for aftermarket) but with out forking out the big $$$ to begin with.

I look at it like this: If im selling a widget cheaper then the current one on the market, thats great news for the customer and great news for my bank balance, sure the first company that produced the widget isn't going to be happy, there losing out on profits But im not and the consumer saves in a big way. Thats business.

You say "your not a hater, just a clone hater". Then why is it anything bad that gets said about forum sponsers products gets deleted?
Arn't we intitled to the truth about all parts and products?

You guys bag integy constanly but i see nothing wrong with there product, it looks good, works well and is sold at a reasonable price, what more could you want?

All respects to HPI as they are the company that went through the R&D and got this great model out there.
Sure the hpi baja is a better product of the factory line but with the hop ups that need to be spent on both the hpi and the km baja's, imo i think your better off buying a the km and saving a couple of hundred dollars.

Sure these clones are not good for HPI's profit margins, but so many other companies, customers, retailers and 1/5 in general is/are bennifiting from these cloned products.

Stop hating and get bashing!

P.s heres a question, why is it all HPI parts bags (in australia) are stamped "MADE IN TAIWAN"

well im happy with my clone, it's pimped out and not cost me much more then a stock standard hpi rtr (so far)
how can you say these clones take 100% away from the hobby and give nothing back? And how can you be happy with one particular brand of a clone but not the other?

the redcats are not exact copies. In fact they are quite different than the mcds, but get compared to them becuz the gearing setup and assembly is about identical, but the rest of them are not and pretty much any other mcd parts will not work

so many people who could not afford the hpi baja, can now afford a 1/5 rc.
Since the clones have been released, im sure you guys would have noticed the sales of after market parts have increased dramaticly, infact the hole 1/5 hobby in general has exploded.

less expensive is only on the initial purchase. Typically they fail in many places very early on and with minor bumps ect.....they will break faster, they will need quality parts to make them close to worthy. By the time you spend the money pieceing it together with stock hpi baja parts, you ll spend well over what the hpi would of cost.

lets face it the after market parts are what make the baja (clone or not) imo the best bashing 1/5 money can buy.
You've even said yourself, two of your baja's are 50% after market.

cant argue that on the aftermarket parts. But.... The stock hpi parts will last alot longer than the stock km baja will, thats also not arguealbe. Hpi parts in stock form are better!
My green baja took nearly 3 yrs to get to the point it is now. 2.9 yrs, 18 plus gallons of fuel. And hrs and hrs and hrs of thrashing. And if you think i pussy foot around with my bajas, then watch the vids i have on google video and youtube. I don't use it like its an rc, i beat the living poop out of it, but don't abuse it, just run it hard and put it away wet

if the hpi is so much better then the clones why have you swaped 1/2 of the hpi parts out for after market? so i can go harder, farther faster, and beat it more than i could in stock form.

people who choose to buy a clone will be doing the same thing, (swaping parts for aftermarket) but with out forking out the big $$$ to begin with.

thats true, and theres not much you can fault them on. But, out of need they will have to upgrade, (and a stock hpi part on a km baja is an upgrade). But i know many of these aftermarket guys that would not sell parts to someone if they knew if was for a clone. Period. I can gaurentee almost every top baja aftermarket manufacturer would rather lose 100 sales then see one of their parts on one clone. Its a pride and integrity thing, neither of which km appears to have

i look at it like this: If im selling a widget cheaper then the current one on the market, thats great news for the customer and great news for my bank balance, sure the first company that produced the widget isn't going to be happy, there losing out on profits but im not and the consumer saves in a big way. Thats business.

and this is were we really part ways. That my friend is plain bs. Now if km piad their employees a fair wage, bought their material from quality material suppliers like used with the hpi, and used a higher quality assessories like servos, plastics, other electronics, they would be out of business before the line even was turned on. Period. And if they did put a product on the market, then the cost would be at least double what they sell for now.

Under that train of thought, now allow me a little latitude here, but basically you are saying its ok for me to come overy your place and bone your wife. Or anyone elses wife for that matter. I mean, i do it better, and can do it for much longer, and im larger than the average bear which means shes happy as a lark, and my needs are satisfied, and my bank account is good to go becuase shes giveing me 1000.00 every time i stop by, which is 3 time a week. Everyones happy... So your good with that? Really?

Now obviously this is only an example, and a bit extreme, but it is that exact train of thought that you are supporting! If thats cool with you, you have some serious moral issues.

you say "your not a hater, just a clone hater". Then why is it anything bad that gets said about forum sponsers products gets deleted?
Arn't we intitled to the truth about all parts and products?

i couldnt tell you, im not the president only a client. But if you were to take the 3 months required to read thru all of my posts here and on hbf, you ll see i pull no punches!! Period. I ll call bs on any of the parts manufacturers/makers, includeing hpi on more than one occasion.
I cant speak for others, and maybe im cutting my own throat, but poop is poop is poop, regardless of where its made and whos wallet is getting fat selling it. I ll call it out, see my sig for further details.

you guys bag integy constanly but i see nothing wrong with there product, it looks good, works well and is sold at a reasonable price, what more could you want?
i ll bag integy just out of ethics. What would i want to see to stop? How about research and development? How about fair labor practices? How about innovation? How about their own design, not one they used a copy and piaste button on) how about a product the totaly did on their own? One of the other local guys was here today, and we were talking about this very issue. Now inticrap did make their own beadlock style and their own bumper for the baja and the steering wiper set. It blew my mind< they acutally did something of and on their own, but that only further proves their low life nature, if they can to it on a bumper and on beadlocks, then they can do it on every part they make. But they choose to steal someones elses r&d work, someone elses testing and redesign work, and someone elses time and money they spent making sure the parts were up to the job. Integy buys the original part and simply copys and paists the parts into the manufacturing process. Km and intigy falls way short on both integrity and morals. I can NOT support that in any form.

All respects to hpi as they are the company that went through the r&d and got this great model out there.
Sure the hpi baja is a better product of the factory line but with the hop ups that need to be spent on both the hpi and the km baja's, imo i think your better off buying a the km and saving a couple of hundred dollars.

again this train of thought is dangerous. If every one did that, we would all would be useing the same large scale rc, and only have one option for parts, that are inferior and expensive as they break on first use. You have no warrenty, so its just money down the drain. doesn't that sound like fun? We all can own and use one rc.

sure these clones are not good for hpi's profit margins, but so many other companies, customers, retailers and 1/5 in general is/are bennifiting from these cloned products.
again i ll say, if this were the facts, then we really wouldnt have any rcs to play with at all. Innovation and r&d are king of the hill. If no company that does r&d and innovation (what got us the hpi baja in the first place) can stay in business, then how will anything be made period?

stop hating and get bashing!

P.s heres a question, why is it all hpi parts bags (in australia) are stamped "made in taiwan"

becuz hpi owns their taiwan factory, they pay their employees a fair wage, and invest their profits back into r&d which is what will bring us the next greatest thing in rc. This isnt about where parts are made, but the integrity and innovation that allows them to make them. So if they have no profits due to lost sales and cheapass copy parts, then whos going to make the newest innovative rc. If you think km or integy will, well your going to be sadly mistaken

now understand im not bashing anyone that owns one. you got to live to learn. and if we were to get together to bash/run and your KM broke, i would be one of the first guys to take my Genuine HPI parts and offer them up so you can keep running. but you can gaurentee youd be ribbed in the sence had you bought a genuine unit, you would likely not see any of the issues you are seeing. gotta expect the guys to raz you. its the nature of the beast.

also, IF i were to DRIVE My baja Like an RC car, i would of Never had any problems and my unit would still be pretty much a stock baja with a new look. BUT i drive my RCs like i am IN THEM REALLY DRIVING IT!!! i don't treat my rcs like RCs, I treat them like extensions of my imagination, and i have a BIG imagination, so i push my baja WELL PAST RC use.

i am however disagreeing with the fact Clones are GOOD. they ARE NOT. they offer NO Customer Service, the do not care if your rcs work or don't work. all these type of company cares about is profits. not you. if you don't care about your fellow humans, do society a favor and remove yourself from teh Breathing human race.

Last edited:
Damn Timmy, ouch!! I love it, but still, it was very ouch!!!

I guess I look at it this way, If the Km Baja came out earlier and took even more sales away from HPI, would HPI have produced the 5T? Probably not... The only reason any company "Expands" is because of profits. Without a profit, then what's the point? Nobody in this country would be in business and would never be able to expand and grow... If anyone has a problem with this theory, then I have a problem with you!!!

Trip..

ya i don't subcribe to the Politically Correct scene, i tell it like it is, straight and to the point. if someone is offended by my comments, all i can say is get over it. if i don't like what someone thinks says, thats my right, just as it is their right to make their statements. there is NO SHAME in agreeing to disagree. its what make the world go 'round.

i don't go out to intentionally piss people off, but lets face it, the facts are the facts.

Come on champ, we are having a friendly discussion about business and ethics and you use intruding discriptions like "basically you are saying its ok for me to come overy your place and bone your wife".
How did i "basicly say that" buddy

and then in your next post you say this "i don't go out to intentionally piss people off"
Sorry bud i would have to dissagree.

Im not going to stoop to your level and throw abuse out their as some sort of come back, as im not intrested in your bs remarks, that are exactly that, BS!
:clown:
Everyones intittled to their opinion and i would have being happy to debate/discuss this matter with you further, however your childish remarks pursway me to end this here.
So go talk poop to some one who will listen champ, cause im not intrested. :nono:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks