HPI Baja Clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baja clone

Well guys

The motor in the king motor baja is the exact same as in the HPI 5b and the tires also. the onley things that are not the same is the servos and radio gear. There are outher clones that is :no: but the king si :2guns:

Well guys

The motor in the king motor baja is the exact same as in the HPI 5b and the tires also. the onley things that are not the same is the servos and radio gear. There are outher clones that is :no: but the king si :2guns:

I wouldn't go as far as saying "exactly" unless you know for certain it comes from the same factory, is made from the same materials, etc. I'm highly doubting it. I'm sure HPI would doubt it as well.

Can i ask how "you know for a fact" they are not CY's?and if they not, what are they?

Because I own a KM Baja and have pulled the engine that came in it out and put my other donk (which happens to be a ported CY 29cc engine) in it. SO i know what a real CY looks like.

The stock engine in the KM is a DZY23cc with a copy of a CY "Fuelie"
sticker on the pull starter. You will see however that the KM "Fuelie" stickers ARE slightly different compared to the real "Fuelie" sticker.

You will also see that it does not say Chung Yang on the cylinder head of the KM Baja engine.

Another common misconception is that the carb is a Walbro...this is also NOT true. The carb on the stock KM is made by "Ruixing"

The tyres are copies of the Dirt Busters...look the same but don't have HPI on them. They are comparable in quality to the real Dirt Busters.

Like I said the KM is a good unit....but the engines ARE NOT CY's:)

Where in Syd are you RC-Slave?

Last edited:
don't get me started on these clones...

theres a big thread, actually a whole section on them over at the hpibajaforum - I recommend checking it out. Lots is speculation but all i know is a mate bought one and its crap - he spent way too much replacing crap clone parts with original HPI ones that he could've bought the original in the first place and had money to spare.

Just don't let anyone feed you the lie that HPI make, or help make, or willingly supply any parts to these clone mfg's - I have spoken to HPI about it personally and its absolute baloney

Monaroman is spot on with what he is saying.The place that I do repairs for gets a lot of new people to the hobby before christmas and when people come in asking about a car for their son or themselves they are sometimes frightened off by the cost,but then they come in after christmas with cars I've never heard of that wont start or have no drive or dodgy radio problems.
They are tempted by the price but then their christmas is ruined and it isn't their fault cos the online ads sound tempting.
Last christmas there was probably 18 or 20 cars I had to sort out and these were repairs that needed doing straight out of the box.
Potentially this can put people off the hobby and some of these makes won't even sell to the trade.
I really feel sorry for the people that have these bad experiences,I just wish they would do their homework first.

I would have agreed with you before I bought one. I have to say, that out of the box it is very comparable to the HPI RTR.

Just my opinion.

sorry I wasn't meaning the baja clone in particular as I haven't seen one in the flesh,it was other clones of other cars that appeared last christmas that were coppies of other cars like a certain kyosho copy and a stadium truck that two of them actually had the spur gear missing and one had no clutch at all.

Because I own a KM Baja and have pulled the engine that came in it out and put my other donk (which happens to be a ported CY 29cc engine) in it. SO i know what a real CY looks like.

The stock engine in the KM is a DZY23cc with a copy of a CY "Fuelie"
sticker on the pull starter. You will see however that the KM "Fuelie" stickers ARE slightly different compared to the real "Fuelie" sticker.

You will also see that it does not say Chung Yang on the cylinder head of the KM Baja engine.

Another common misconception is that the carb is a Walbro...this is also NOT true. The carb on the stock KM is made by "Ruixing"

The tyres are copies of the Dirt Busters...look the same but don't have HPI on them. They are comparable in quality to the real Dirt Busters.

Like I said the KM is a good unit....but the engines ARE NOT CY's:)

Where in Syd are you RC-Slave?

I've been hearing alot about this Km baja, some people are saying its mostly HPI parts, others are saying its a good copy but no HPI parts.
Almost every one has said its a real CY 23cc fuelie, but have never said how they know for sure.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Im live in ryde btw.

I've been hearing alot about this Km baja, some people are saying its mostly HPI parts, others are saying its a good copy but no HPI parts.
Almost every one has said its a real CY 23cc fuelie, but have never said how they know for sure.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Im live in ryde btw.

It is definately a copy......but a good copy in terms of frame parts, chassis strength, tyres, etc, etc IMO. I have not run the engine for long enough to tell you if it is good or not, as I swapped it out pretty much straight away...but it looks like a direct copy of the CY (in appearance at least)

Im warning you! I got one of these clones and the plastic is cheap!!!!...brittle and a lot more "plastiky" than HPI parts, I have spent a lot on money replacing plastics! The pistons in the shocks are crappy and do not work and the shocks leak!!!....I have said it before but people keep saying its the same.....I guess they have never seen the authentic HPI baja to compare! Trust me I have been in this hobby since late 80's. This is a real cheap copy. Im mad at myself for purchasing this buggy clone.

Im warning you! I got one of these clones and the plastic is cheap!!!!...brittle and a lot more "plastiky" than HPI parts, I have spent a lot on money replacing plastics! The pistons in the shocks are crappy and do not work and the shocks leak!!!....I have said it before but people keep saying its the same.....I guess they have never seen the authentic HPI baja to compare! Trust me I have been in this hobby since late 80's. This is a real cheap copy. Im mad at myself for purchasing this buggy clone.

That's fair enough mate....you are definately entitled to your opinion and it sucks that you have had problems with yours.

I did a lot of research into this, and from my research, I noticed that there were 2 baja "clones". The KM Baja and the TQ Baja. I totally agree with you in terms of the TQ Baja. It is CRAP!....pure and simple. It has no good points IMO. The KM Baja is very comparable (again IMO) to the HPI version straight out of the box.

All RC's have weak points, but the KM is a good unit... strong...no real problems with it. I have bent the rear shocks, because we tend to "bash" it quite hard with big jumps etc, but the RTR shocks on the HPI bend just as easily. I never ran it with the stock 23cc engine, as I swapped it out for a 29 straight away, so I couldn't tell you about the quality of the engine. The plastics look ok to me. They are different from the HPI in appearance. They are shiney,compared to the matt look of the HPI. I haven't broken any plastic on the thing and I have ran it for about 12 Litres so far.

Overall, I am VERY happy with it. It is a great RC to take out bashing with my 8 and 5 year old sons...and we have blast!:)

Here is my clone with the new desert rat body in black with multi coloured metalflake paint.
28.5 cc kit with porting,dom pipe, turtle racing gear plate , python gear cover,gh clutch bell carrier, hd shocks and springs,sway bars, vertigo wheel extensions, integy front discs etc etc etc. damn money pit :crying:

so far so good. No dramas with it after 6 months now.Nothing broke.Maybe im lucky? or the product is ok
desertrat005.gif

desertrat004.gif

desertrat003.gif

desertrat002-1.gif

Here is my clone with the new desert rat body in black with multi coloured metalflake paint.
28.5 cc kit with porting,dom pipe, turtle racing gear plate , python gear cover,gh clutch bell carrier, hd shocks and springs,sway bars, vertigo wheel extensions, integy front discs etc etc etc. damn money pit :crying:

so far so good. No dramas with it after 6 months now.Nothing broke.Maybe im lucky? or the product is ok
desertrat005.gif

desertrat004.gif

desertrat003.gif

desertrat002-1.gif

That baja looks awsome, i would say you have spent a little more then a stock HPI 5b.......................................................................................................................................................................................

But then i would also say it would thrash a stock hpi 5b baja, go faster then a stock hpi 5b baja, stop better then a stock hpi 5b baja, handle better then a stock hpi 5b baja, jump better then a stock hpi 5b baja and looks better then a stock hpi 5b baja
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................
I thrash the guts out of my km baja, smashed it good and proper quite a few times, sure theres been a few upgrades but it would be the same story if i had a hpi 5b baja!!!!!

Every stock part that brakes on a km baja will need to be upgraded/replaced on the HPI baja 5b anyway. Don't waste your $$$ on the Initial outlay :nono:

This post will probably be deleted by someone at hbf, becouse i say something good about the km baja. (like the rest of my posts on that forum)

Why would you buy an hpi baja??????????????????????????????????????????

:2guns:-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
baja clones

hello there guys
i know im a new member on this forum and i was looking into the baja clones before i bought my dura trax firehammer and i would agree with the rest of the guys on this post about clones there are garbage and i have also heard if anything goes wrong with them after you buy them your pretty much stuck with it if anything happens to it
i just wanted to let you know about it
buggyguy

I just got a KM baja. I have a had a HPI rtr and SS and also have a FG. I can tell you 100% that the KM with pipe is easily as fast (probably faster) as the HPI rtr with pipe! The radio system is not so great and the servos suck but with the money I saved its well worth it!!!! I would definitely buy another one!! Anybody that tells you other wise has either never had a King Motor Baja and is just assuming they are junk or is just really mad they paid twice as much for the HPI! This is not a bash on HPI, I have always had good luck with them. I just saying that there is no reason to bash the KM just because HPI doesn't make it! just my thoughts!

Ok just an update! As of today Kingmotor says $575.00 shipped to california.

Look on ebay now....$389 plus 89 ship....thats $480 shipped to anywhere in the USA.:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-RC-GAS-POW...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1307|301:1|293:1|294:50

you can get 2 km bajas for the price of 1 hpi baja:blush:

hello there guys
i know im a new member on this forum and i was looking into the baja clones before i bought my dura trax firehammer and i would agree with the rest of the guys on this post about clones there are garbage and i have also heard if anything goes wrong with them after you buy them your pretty much stuck with it if anything happens to it
i just wanted to let you know about it
buggyguy

I own alsmost every 1/5 vehicle made within the last 4 years...including the firehammer.

All.... I mean All 1/5 vehicles have weak spots....Non of them run without some type of problem occurring at some point... even HPI bajas have their weak spots (shock shafts, shock towers, bog bones and output cups, the stock diffs.)

So get whatever vehilce you want/can afford to get....just know that with any and all 1/5 vehicles you will be opening your wallet to get parts or buy upgrades ......thats just part of the nature of this $$$$ related hobby

Now get out there and bust some parts!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm not mad because I paid "twice" as much for a Baja. What I paid for was a non-copy. I paid for a warranty from a company that has a phone number with people to contact. I paid for an RC that I know will fit all the parts from the mfg's at HBF.

Buy what you want, it's a still a free country up until Jan 20. Just don't put words in Baja owner's mouths. :)

I didn't put words in baja's owners mouths! I am a baja owner. Its' real simple, just because HPI didn't make it, doesn't mean its junk. Thats the only point I was trying to make!! Some people cant afford to drop $1000 on a HPI. If they have to buy a "clone" for half the price and enjoy the hobby...good for them, more power to umm!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks