I bought something silly for my Baja 5B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Fishing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-King-M...Kit-Fits-KM-HPI-Baja-5B-5T-Rovan/352474831019

Tearing up my culdesac, just having rear brakes is not great.
I read that these things are gimmicks , but figured wth.

First let me say that the instructions were... lol
pictures, pretty vague pictures.

They have you install the brake pads backwards...

They are even backwards in the ebay ad! :ROFLMAO:
1614049556207.png

it was best guess to even figure out how the fk i was supposed to mount the brakes to the hub.

Then the best part, in the instructions it shows an image of an extended axle!
lol!

so when you install them with standard axles, the brakes would bind and the wheels won't spin...

i ended up taking off a bit of material,
sorry this was not planned out well, but red marks from the ebay ad show material i had to remove...
1614049755849.png

If anyone ever got this set, i could show more.
but it's a bit of material, the aluminum part is easy/soft.
but the piston that presses out on the brake pad is steel, and it needs to be ground flat.

Here it is installed on my rc.

1614049995178.png

1614050036184.png

Anyways, what a joke that was, i wanted to share.

I still need to work out the rigging.
their half baked plan was to replace the throttle/brake linkage with one that's not even threaded on the end. :lol:
Just so you can install it on the other side of the fkn servo.
then to install the front brakes on the original side, meaning i would need to reverse the servo function...

I'm working out something different.
just silly!

They really do work well with the right kit. I hVe never had any luck with the cable styls or chinese hydraulic setups as the master leaks. I switched to mecatech and have used these for awhile and have had zero issues with them. I've used a few sets of these so far and they are 100% good.

20200828_204051.jpg

I just installed the Rovan set on mine. I think yours are on backwards, they look upside down. I was able to get mine to work without reversing the servo and using the original linkage. Took a bit of fiddling but it all works. FYI the extender set they sell isn't a perfect fit with anything but KM/Rovan hubs.

I just installed the Rovan set on mine. I think yours are on backwards, they look upside down. I was able to get mine to work without reversing the servo and using the original linkage. Took a bit of fiddling but it all works. FYI the extender set they sell isn't a perfect fit with anything but KM/Rovan hubs.

Figures, instructions sorta suggested this way. ?

I don't like the cable being that low, seems easy to pinch.

And i saw the hydraulic ones, seemed like a big pita.
And i hate messing with the fluid.

Monster beat me to it. The pads "arch" should go WITH the circular rotation of the rotor on the outside edge
I see what your saying i believe

As for the pads, they do,
so in the first images from the seller, it shows the arch going against the rotation.
However it looks more like the name brand brakes in that orientation.

So the way i have it now, i get the maximum pad to rotor contact.
if i flip them the other way, it just uses the middle section.

Been a while, but i got the brakes working good enough for now.

It really does help, but due to the L i needed to make in order to make it work, it really can't lock the brakes up.
So that's both a good and a bad thing.

But for my uses, it's great to help keep it from hitting curbs, childern, and to slow it down when i speed it back i to my driveway.

Mostly i like to punch the throttle on the gutter lip at the end of my driveway for a nice wheelie. ?

And as of yesterday, i started introducing a little nitromethane (not rc car fuel but 100% stuff) into the fuel... lol

That mostly gave it more top end...

I feel your pain! I added duel rear brakes to my fg instead of the layshaft brake. Same problems
Working from a crappy pic had the brake leavers backwards. Now it's lockup solid or barely grabbing???

These disc brakes definitely take some fiddling to get right. For the Rovan and other similar styles those tension screws built into the center brake cam (not sure if that the right term) works a treat! I also added stronger springs to the front levers. (y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks