Identifying engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterleon

EMPIRE RC
Lifetime PLUS!
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
Hey guys I bought a second hand 5t and am wondering if there is an easy way to identify what bore I have in the truck. I know it’s a Zenoah cy engine, but that’s about it.
*zenoah on the head and then it say cy on the flywheel housing***

Last edited:
A quick and dirty way is the cylinder will had a threaded cast in boss on the back near the transfer port bulge. Left side of cylinder are 34mm bores and if boss is on right side of cylinder it is a 36mm bore. Quick and dirty but it is quick way. BUT keep in mind you do not know if it is stroked or not in the crank

A quick and dirty way is the cylinder will had a threaded cast in boss on the back near the transfer port bulge. Left side of cylinder are 34mm bores and if boss is on right side of cylinder it is a 36mm bore. Quick and dirty but it is quick way. BUT keep in mind you do not know if it is stroked or not in the crank
Thanks Todd, not exactly sure what a threaded cast is or a transfer port bulge, but I’ll google it

On fan side, near the bottom of the head should be some numbers that tell you crank length and piston size. Removing the coil helps.

28-32 is 23cc
28-34 --26cc
28-36---28.5cc
28-35---27cc

Hey guys I bought a second hand 5t and am wondering if there is an easy way to identify what bore I have in the truck. I know it’s a Zenoah cy engine, but that’s about it.
*zenoah on the head and then it say cy on the flywheel housing***

Probably a Zenoah.
You have to put a CY fan cover on to match the bolt holes in the chassis.

Probably a Zenoah.
You have to put a CY fan cover on to match the bolt holes in the chassis.

Not quite. I have a Zen fan shroud on my stock Fuelie/CY and the bolt holes line up just fine.

Edit: I was thinking of the shroud and not the cover, so you are correct @Phill2

I don't think any of us can actually make an educated guess without pics.

Last edited:
On fan side, near the bottom of the head should be some numbers that tell you crank length and piston size. Removing the coil helps.

28-32 is 23cc
28-34 --26cc
28-36---28.5cc
28-35---27cc

Great info, I was wondering how to accurately identify engines. Up to 32cc's seem to be a common crankcase configuration, then once you have 34cc+ the cases are different. I found this out when I was hunting for replacement gaskets and crank seals for my CY 36cc engine.

I bought a motor and wanted to verify the size as it had no markings. A quick way I did it was to take a piece of cardboard or any not to flexible material and cut it to about 4-6 inches.
Then I turned engine over till I could see other side of cylinder wall. Insert cardboard/plastic etc till it touches other wall. Then mark the cardboard on your side . Then simply measure the length of end of cardboad to your mark. That should give you cylinder/ bore hole size.
Bore holes size:
32mm - 23cc
34mm --26cc
36mm---29cc
35mm-+.5
These seem to be the standard but there are variations also ie : 27.5/28.5/29.5
The other measurement is stroke,that combined with bore determines total cc.
Stock length rods are 28mm.
28/29/30mm length rods changes the volume size between 23cc-30.5cc.
Stroke is the distance the piston travels up and down. Bottom - Top dead center.
If have caliper you can measure also.
You can measure how far up + Down the piston travels for stroke.
Its early so bound to be some error somewhere. Feel free to correct them.
Just short dirty explanation of engine displacement.

Looking at the pics I think it it a ported stroker kit on a cy case I'll tell you why.
1 it has a cy clutch
2 as we know it's a zenoah head which is the perfered cylinder by tuners
3 the exhaust port looks like it's been enlarged
4 it has a big arse copper base gasket, probably because it has a +2 stroker crank.

Ba bum tss
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC....mxGPnYre/giphy.gif&ehk=6J6HSdEVHj2cJPWZTJ0cOQ
Of course I could be way wrong???

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks