Is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xrsboy2016

So I tore apart the front diff to check the bearings and this is what I found. Do I need to shim the gears to eliminate them rubbing the cup? TIA 20220613_191611.jpg

is yours just a bbxl or a dbxl-e or 2.0 mate?
pretty sure there all the same , but possibly the early dbxl doesn't have the squares, even so the gears should still have a shim behind em,
I have the Dbxl 2.0 gas. Here is a picture of all the pieces that came out of it and there are no shims🤷‍♂️20220613_215545.jpg

could you refit your old stuff loose in the case and take a pic of the cross gears and post on here mate ?
sommat don't seem right tbh,
i have a dragon hammer which uses basically the same parts as a dbxl on the diffs, and i'm pretty sure it has the squares fitted,
cant be 100% sure on that cos havnt had the diffs apart for a while though,

could you refit your old stuff loose in the case and take a pic of the cross gears and post on here mate ?
sommat don't seem right tbh,
i have a dragon hammer which uses basically the same parts as a dbxl on the diffs, and i'm pretty sure it has the squares fitted,
cant be 100% sure on that cos havnt had the diffs apart for a while though,
20220613_221101.jpg

I have the Dbxl 2.0 gas. Here is a picture of all the pieces that came out of it and there are no shims🤷‍♂️View attachment 82460
as clubin said above mate, there should be at least steel shims behind the gears,
but this is very strange, every rebuild kit i can find for the dbxl/dbxl-e/dbxl 2.0 and dragon hammer comes with the squares as well,

as clubin said above mate, there should be at least steel shims behind the gears,
but this is very strange, every rebuild kit i can find for the dbxl/dbxl-e/dbxl 2.0 and dragon hammer comes with the squares as well,
Yeah I was a little confused when my parts came and the squares came with it, but don't show them in the manual along with any shims.

and there ya can see the issue, the smaller gears aint even meshed, that should have squares fitted dude,
either your diffs are very rough when turned or there locked when fitted,
i wonder if losi made a boo boo somewhere and havnt fitted the squares, or stock plastic diff case has squares built in and you have aftermarket cases that someones just put the stock gears and pins into,
and there ya can see the issue, the smaller gears aint even meshed, that should have squares fitted dude,
either your diffs are very rough when turned or there locked when fitted,
i wonder if losi made a boo boo somewhere and havnt fitted the squares, or stock plastic diff case has squares built in and you have aftermarket cases that someones just put the stock gears and pins into,

gavsta hit it on the head mate (y),
as said above, someones just fitted the stock parts into hot racing cases without fitting the extra bits (squares and shims),
you can see the gears aint meshed at all how yours is set up,
if you have hot racing cases on all three diffs i suggest you strip em all and see whats inside,

gavsta hit it on the head mate (y),
as said above, someones just fitted the stock parts into hot racing cases without fitting the extra bits (squares and shims),
you can see the gears aint meshed at all how yours is set up,
if you have hot racing cases on all three diffs i suggest you strip em all and see whats inside,
I put the parts in them. Those where all the stock parts that came in stock cups. No shims or blocks either. The stock cups or the hot racing ones have the cut out for the blocks to slide into.

I put the parts in them. Those where all the stock parts that came in stock cups. No shims or blocks either. The stock cups or the hot racing ones have the cut out for the blocks to slide into.
so from what gavsta said above and in the link he posted the hot racing cups/cases should have come with the blocks and shims as part of the sale if bought new mate,
so the stock losi plastic cases/cups must have had the blocks built into em,
looks like your gonna have to get another two rebuild kits to redo all your diffs,
otherwise they will probably eat themselves fairly quickly,

edit; what i mean is yer gonna need two more sets of blocks and shims to do all yer diffs mate (y) ,
or if you bought the hot racing cases new from horizon and the didnt come with blocks and shim kits then contact them and they may send you em out,

Last edited:
Sorry but this should have said that the stock or the hot racing don't have the cut outs for the blocks to slide into.
After contacting Horizonhobby they told me that the shims and blocks are for the Losi aluminum cups. Not sure why the would sell the kit like that if you don't need the parts for the stock cups.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks