Itching to build another 1/5... Maybe a Vesla Gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Baja 5b has been pretty tough other than snapping the stock chassis at the front (pretty hard landing off a jump) That is what made me want to build a Vesla. I like having a solid one piece chassis from front to back.
If you're going to bash an mcd rig I would not go for the ultimate, go for the max pro with the plastic arms. I actually bought an mcd rr5 ftr to bash and I quickly regretted it. If I could go back in time I would have saved the money and got the cheaper max pro. I do think the metal braces are nice and a good touch but if you go with a higher tier version I suggest you buy some spare plastic arms and the steering knuckle/hub thingies as well. I imagine most of you wouldn't be trying to send it like I did though :ROFLMAO:

My W5 actually JUST got here and I ordered the max pro this time

That is exactly how I would be sending it. That is what I was doing with my Baja 5b when I broke the chassis in the front. I would never attempt that with the Vekta.5 though.

Last edited:
Just a lot in the way to get to the diff housing, but isn't that just part of the hobby? That transmission is so bulletproof I hardly ever have to get into it. I am running mine on 8s with a castle xlx2/800kv and that transmission handles the power like a champ.
It is part of the hobby to a point. ;) Its why I prefer a kit over RTR

Maybe they have improved the transmission since the first run? I don’t remember why I had to get in the rear far more than I wanted. Probably original weak gears. It's been too long ago to remember.

I got my 5b ss in 2008! Only reason I went into the tranny is I didn't see an outdrive get loose till it was spinning the housing, ruining it. Put back a plastic housing and bought a bundle of bearings in bulk, been fine since.
I had trouble with steering arms, clutch bell holder, motor Support, all where plastic and I put those back integy orange. No problems for years after that. Had trouble with the rear dog bones falling out, then they came out with heavy duty and had bigger rear hubs with no toe shims. Also did the engine up with turtle base and ddm high rpm 29.5cc big bore. I had guys with 30.5's complaining I was lying that it was 29.5 ... cause they couldn't catch me.

20230813_130913.jpg

20230813_121351.jpg
Oh, I guess that was before cleaning, these are after

20230814_153427.jpg

20230814_153446.jpg

Last edited:
I have come to a conclusion. I do believe I'm going to get the Vesla.5 builders kit anyways. I am putting the ESP 34cc motor in it, so I am hoping the gears hold up. I am more in it for the build that the running, so I'm sure by the time I finish, the big bore transmission will be available. Pre-order is for end of April.

Now you got me researching bajas again.... lol. That turtle racing quick diff housing is a game changer as it was the biggest pain in azz to work on.
Did you have the purple chassis baja the first batches of bajas? If you did those did have a lot of issues.
I can literally have a transmission out in under 15 minutes with a baja.

Last edited:
Did you have the purple chassis baja the first batches of bajas? If you did those did have a lot of issues.
I can literally have a transmission out in under 15 minutes with a baja.
Yes. Purple chassis. That's what I've been saying this whole time lol. I had one from the first run of bajas.
DSCF1324~2.JPG
First one in west Michigan in fact. 19-20 other guys followed suit after seeing mine. We raced them on my 1/5 scale track on the back of our property. They were constantly broken. So much so most sold them off like I did. I was bummed too because its still my favorite style of any rc.

But, I'm definitely not ruling another out after chatting with you and doing more research.

Lol ok I gotcha. Yeah the shocks sucked the shafts were smaller and would break. The differential had plastic cases.
Definitely could not run them on an 1/8 scale track. There more bashers than racers. This is why you will see more powerful engines in a baja platform.
Shockingly the shocks shafts you had back then were 4mm. Now there 6mm and the diff is aluminum.
Plastic polymers they use now are better ect... ect...

Last edited:
My 5b has been pretty tough for the most part. I have quite a bit of upgrades though, so I can't compare to stock.
View attachment 92468
It's a sweet rig too.
Lol ok I gotcha. Yeah the shocks sucked the shafts were smaller and would break. The differential had plastic cases.
Definitely could not run them on an 1/8 scale track. There more bashers than racers. This is why you will see more powerful engines in a baja platform.
Shockingly the shocks shafts you had back then were 4mm. Now there 6mm and the diff is aluminum.
Plastic polymers they use now are better ect... ect...
Good to know.

I just placed an order on DDM and KrakenRC.

Vesla SBK Gas
Aluminum Transmission
Hardened Gears
Aluminum A-Arms
Aluminum front bulkhead
SX5 Sidewinder Body Kit
Victory RC non-silenced pipe
Brushless conversion kit just in case I want to go electric one day.
A few other things

Going to pull my ESP 34cc race modified engine and electronics from my Vekta.5.
I just placed an order on DDM and KrakenRC.

Vesla SBK Gas
Aluminum Transmission
Hardened Gears
Aluminum A-Arms
Aluminum front bulkhead
SX5 Sidewinder Body Kit
Victory RC non-silenced pipe
Brushless conversion kit just in case I want to go electric one day.
A few other things

Going to pull my ESP 34cc race modified engine and electronics from my Vekta.5.
If anything... I would love to just build this and see how it compares to a Baja 5B. Outdated design vs modern innovation... which one wins?

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks