Itching to build another 1/5... Maybe a Vesla Gas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrebee88

Hello all,
Its been a while. Last year I built a Vekta.5 and a Baja SBK Electric. I am itching to start a new build. I love driving the Baja. The Vekta.5 is a blast as well, but it breaks so easily from accidental rollovers. I am thinking of getting the Vesla.5 SBK gas and transferring my electronics and engine from my Vekta.5 (ESP modified 34cc). I would probably pick up the HD aluminum arms as well. I hear the vesla arms are made of glass.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
Or perhaps the KV5TT Pro-E Kit? I wonder how that would handle on 8S with a Castle 800kv?

Last edited:
I have looked at the W5, and they do look amazing. My ESP 34cc seems like it would be a good fit as well. The only thing that steers me away is that I love building more than I do driving. I absolutely love building kits, but MCD only offers rollers from what I see.

That's a shame on those gears. I had issues with ring and pinion gears when I built my Vekta.5... amongst other issues. I will hold off until they resolve that issue. I have a few projects that can keep me busy for a little while. I was looking at it because it said the next shipment is in April.

I just built a king motor km001 roller baja as I had everything to finish it already. Couldnt pass it up for the money. You have to basically tear it down and rebuild-check everything.
Like you, I only got it because i was bored wanting something to build. Im actually quite happy with it as its my first clone ive ever had.

Just double checking here... I see that Krakens website has the upgraded billet transmission case and hardened steel transmission gears in stock. What sucked about the gears? Were they breaking with the electric and gas version? Did anyone find an upgrade from another manufacturer that fixed the issue? I have the turtle racing transmission in my Baja and it is bulletproof.

Hi guys! I put the taylor three piece trans case before running and stripped the stock gears first time I had a rear pop up after a bump and landed on a bit of power, the hardened gears just came out at the same time so I put them in, several runs on them so far but I have heard of them going as well, the idler gear is tiny compared to a baja tranny. The baja housing unfortunately doesn't seem to fit the vesla. I haven't heard of any new company making tranny gears but I did put blackbone pinion and spur to match my 50gt. One more thing about the vesla that peeves me is when adjusting brake endpoint the chassis will flex with the servo pressure, I turned the travel down to where it just starts to flex and it takes a while to stop. I've done several flip outs when the wheely becomes a roof grind but so far no plastic has broken. There seems to be enough flex in the front arms for my stinger to get hit. I also have the vekta with a 34 esp, been lucky not to break any plastic, except front bumper side loop, but it hardly trashes around like the vesla with a Taylor 50.

20231102_210112.jpg

20231115_201553.jpg
The vesla is a real big 2wd and is a different beast on many levels

Attachments

• 20240322_094935.jpg
    20240322_094935.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240322_094913.jpg
    20240322_094913.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've been looking at that MCD W5 and it looks like it would be a blast to drive and tune. Have any of you tried the ESP 34cc modified in it? I would only have enough cash to buy the roller and then transfer everything else from my Vekta.
I would get the Barracuda G performance exhaust as well

My 5t 2.0 running the stock 32, with a tuned pipe is a blast to drive. I think the w5 would move and handle great with a 34 esp. May even be better than a 5t? But I don't have one to compare. Checked them out but everybody has a budget to respect

That's what I was noticing when I was checking them out. Lots of metal on them though, they would probably be more at home on a track and a real competitor in racing. I backed off checking them cause theres no 5th scale racing within many hours drive of me. I don't even have my own track ready yet, so I've stayed with bashers for now to help rip up the pesky grass in my intended track area. I'm a basher at heart and just got into different types of racing over the years for the fun of being with fellow rc adicts. I did try rc boat racing, but the guys in my area were over-the-top nuts competitive! So it was hard to have fun or even like anyone.

Hello all,
Its been a while. Last year I built a Vekta.5 and a Baja SBK Electric. I am itching to start a new build. I love driving the Baja. The Vekta.5 is a blast as well, but it breaks so easily from accidental rollovers. I am thinking of getting the Vesla.5 SBK gas and transferring my electronics and engine from my Vekta.5 (ESP modified 34cc). I would probably pick up the HD aluminum arms as well. I hear the vesla arms are made of glass.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
Or perhaps the KV5TT Pro-E Kit? I wonder how that would handle on 8S with a Castle 800kv?
I'm planning on my next being a Vesla but I'll let them get the bugs worked out first. Or, the aftermarket has filled the gaps. I almost never buy anything in the first couple years of it's production.

I've thought long and hard about a 5t 2.0, but horizon hobby has been falling way behind. I know the 5t is a really tough rig. I am assuming for normal "bashing", not abusing, the MCD W5 should be really tough, if not tougher right?

I've thought long and hard about a 5t 2.0, but horizon hobby has been falling way behind. I know the 5t is a really tough rig. I am assuming for normal "bashing", not abusing, the MCD W5 should be really tough, if not tougher right?
I've read great things about the MCD rigs. If I was going with another 4x4, it would either be a 5t or MCD ultimate. But, my TLR buggy is scratching that itch currently so I'm wanting another 2wd. I had one of the original, first run hpi Baja buggies, and I grew ti hate it because it was broken as much as it was running and I hated working on it. That's when I learned my lesson about buying things in their first couple years of production. I love their look because its a giant Kyosho Ultima. Designed by the same engineer in fact. The aftermarket has long sense answered the call on the baja for upgrades but it's still a cramped layout to work on. My main complaint was how much disassembly was needed to get to the differential. Maybe the aftermarket has addressed that too. Idk, I stopped paying attention to that platform after selling it. Maybe people can enlighten me on the subject. Lol.

I'm not completely opposed to another hpi buggy but its not on my list currently.

If you're going to bash an mcd rig I would not go for the ultimate, go for the max pro with the plastic arms. I actually bought an mcd rr5 ftr to bash and I quickly regretted it. If I could go back in time I would have saved the money and got the cheaper max pro. I do think the metal braces are nice and a good touch but if you go with a higher tier version I suggest you buy some spare plastic arms and the steering knuckle/hub thingies as well. I imagine most of you wouldn't be trying to send it like I did though :ROFLMAO:

My W5 actually JUST got here and I ordered the max pro this time

Baja platforms are great! What did you keep breaking?
The first run of hpi bajas had flimsy weels that rubbed on the arms when turning from side loading and easily bent shock shafts. Foam problems in the tires. Those are three that stood out. There was no aftermarket support then.and large scale wasn't popular. No turtle racing ect. The Baja definitely changed the large scale hobby in.a big way.
If you're going to bash an mcd rig I would not go for the ultimate, go for the max pro with the plastic arms. I actually bought an mcd rr5 ftr to bash and I quickly regretted it. If I could go back in time I would have saved the money and got the cheaper max pro. I do think the metal braces are nice and a good touch but if you go with a higher tier version I suggest you buy some spare plastic arms and the steering knuckle/hub thingies as well. I imagine most of you wouldn't be trying to send it like I did though :ROFLMAO:

My W5 actually JUST got here and I ordered the max pro this time

I get your point. Something has to be the weak point to take some of the shock. That said, I'm not a high flyer. More grass / dirt road course type running. Small jumps and bumps.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks