Just watched marketplace about counterfeits and fakes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You nailed it.

And you know this how? Tell us oh wise one ... How does the corporate world really work. Were you sitting in with the board of directors when they set the price on their RC's . Every company out there is trying to undercut their competitors . You would be amazed by the markup on products.
Doubt it would be much cheaper if they did remove said markups.
Think I've made my point. You can defend ripping off someone else's product as much as you want , doesn't make it right . ?
Guess I'll go cheat on a test and use someone elses homework as that is completely fine, that's what this thread taught me ??

Last edited:
This happens in many markets and both sides of this argument have merit.Z is right in the sense that if a company is manufacturing researching and designing products it has the right to charge what it wants for it's products and also has the right to not be copied and not be compensated for the obvious copying of it's product but like 21B said the opposite side of that argument is in a market that is rapidly dwindling then you suffer the consequences of your own decision to keep prices high.I am sure that after years of making the same products the tooling and manufacturing costs come down a bit.Then like he said this also makes people who can't afford a 1200-and up buggy who purchased a Rovan or KM upset when they just want a little help to get their rigs running to have fun with and all they get is why don't you go buy a Baja.I look at it this way if I showed up to the bash spot and Z was there with his Baja and 21B was there with a Rovan and they were both ok guys with a wealth of knowledge it would be cool with me and that doesn't mean I have to agree with copying another companies stuff.Just my .02c

Then let's put this crap to rest and start posting some vids or build threads. (y)
don't know how to post vids, but took the mtxl out for a blast. Rear tire came apart on me after 5 min. Gorrilla tape held it together for 2 more tanks of fuel. ?20200223_151451.jpgand I got a new toy for the farm. 1985 kubota L2550 4×4. Its only got 500 hrs. ?20200222_122912.jpg

don't know how to post vids, but took the mtxl out for a blast. Rear tire came apart on me after 5 min. Gorrilla tape held it together for 2 more tanks of fuel. ?View attachment 56751and I got a new toy for the farm. 1985 kubota L2550 4×4. Its only got 500 hrs. ?View attachment 56752
Gotta upload the vids to YouTube (or any pic/vid uploader) then link here ? the attach videos thing here never worked ?

Nice bota, my old man (read spends lots of time at my place) has an old L245DT. Loader is slow as all get out, but beats a shovel any day. Sorry old pic, isnt very photogenic

Attachments

• 20170923_161238_1506465493623.jpg
    20170923_161238_1506465493623.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 11
Nice bota, my old man (read spends lots of time at my place) has an old L245DT. Loader is slow as all get out, but beats a shovel any day. Sorry old pic, isnt very photogenic
They make fantastic equipment. I wanted to go bigger but the damn things are so expensive. Can't justify 30k on a hobby farm. Was hard enough to spend the 10k on the one I got. The old ford 9 is super tired though and will now be a lawn ornament.?

Meh, I like seeing the look on peoples faces when they realize they don't practice what they preach. I have yet to meet someone who willingly prefers to use factory dealer parts for their daily driver. I've had many different expensive hobbies, from building and racing old VW beetles and sport bikes, 3 gunning, etc... cloned parts available in all. But it was up to the one with the money to decide if they are willing to take the gamble of said parts knowing genuine parts fail as well. Funny how many will claim one's daily driver is different when compared to one's hobby. IMO, its just how some can't admit to wearing the hypocrite title.

I gotta split the difference here, as a former professional mechanic, I was only able to use OEM parts for the stuff I fixed. Sometimes I got called out, just to find someone cheaper out and went aftermarket. I by no means say this is the rule. But yes on my personal vehicles I do try to get factory parts if they are available. Even my oil filters are motor craft. (Well the ones a Honda) my Cummins has fleet guard on it. There are exceptions where the aftermarket solved a problem that the factory didn't address, or makes parts no longer available. I'm not made of gold, so when there is no other, or better options I'll go for it. I will say this. If were talking clones and copies. Then everyone falls into that category that isn't OEM. That includes all the people that make "upgrade parts" after all a copy is a copy. Right? So let's let this die off. After all were bearing a dead horse again, and its stinks real bad.

Are we talking about aftermarket parts or clone/copy parts? They are very different things here and it seems like they're getting mixed up in this conversation. There's nothing wrong with aftermarket parts. They aren't breaking any laws and most if not all OEM car manufactures source parts from aftermarket companies. Almost all parts are made by another manufacturer. If you choose to buy parts from the dealer and pay markup for a branded box then by all means, go ahead. They are not made by said manufacturer.

As for clone/fakes. There is a difference. Clones are replicas made by a different company and branded as such. A fake would be something that's still branded as OEM but not actually made by them. I haven't seen anything like this in the RC world. So I think we are mainly referring to clones. As already mentioned, HPI doesn't even make the Baja anymore, so who cares? If they still made parts, the Baja clones would actually benefit them. When I used to own a KM Baja clone, I replaced most of the critical components with HPI parts. Sounds like a win for HPI. Manufacturers make way more selling replacement parts than selling the actual car. The KM Baja clone got me into 1/5 scale. After I sold it, I purchased a Losi DBXL, a Losi 5ive and a used original HPI Baja. Buying a used HPI Baja over a new clone still doesn't benefit the original manufacturer in any way. They still don't make money off me for buying the car but in both cases (OEM or clone) they make money off me for me buying the original replacement parts. Aside from the MCD and Losi 5ive, I don't see any other clones out there. Aside from the Baja (mainly because the original is no longer an option), most people stay away from the MCD and 5ive clones. The MCD Rovan sells may actually be an original. The Price is very similar.

I've seen many cheap chinese 1/8 scale RC cars and trucks for sale and they are original designs. A lot of parts sourced from companies like Ofna, BSR and FTX. It might be a mish mash of parts from different cars, but it's still their own designs. Everybody starts off copying everyone, that's how they learn and develop their companies.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks