Kill Switch and AVC on 6CH receiver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan K.

Hey guys, I'm aware of people having to disable AVC on the 4 channel receivers in order to use a kill switch. The kill switch uses up one AUX channel correct? If this is the case, I have a SRS6000 6 channel AVC receiver. I should be able to use AVC with the kill switch on this setup? I haven't read of anyone using the 6 channels yet. All the complaints and info I've read are regarding the older SRS4200 4 channel AVC receivers. I just want to confirm before I purchase a kill switch. Either way I'm going to need it though. That will take priority over AVC regardless, but it would be nice to be able to use AVC as well. A 6 channel receiver should with 1 channel going to throttle, 1 to steering, 2 for AVC, 1 for kill switch should theoretically leave me with a spare channel remaining. This is my first 1/5 gasser setup, so I'm unfamiliar with kill switches.

thanks guys.

Yip you have to disable the avc and killer bee goes in aux channel

Why? AVC only uses 2 channels. With a 6 channel receiver I have 2 spare channels after wiring up the throttle and steering? Does the kill switch just use 1 channel or does it somehow interfere with AVC? That's basically what I want to know. If the kill switch is just a matter of taking up one channel, then I don't have to disable AVC to use the killswitch.

y would u wanna use avc anyways?its for kids who can't control a rc imo? it detracts from the fun of driving a rc properly ?

Just curious, have you ever used AVC? That's the assumption that everyone makes about it. That it's for people who can't drive. I've never used AVC until recently, and to be honest in certain situations it makes the car a lot more fun to drive. Without AVC, on some surfaces rather than being fun, just trying to keep the car from spinning out and going straight becomes more of a chore than anything else. On slick surfaces I usually keep AVC's steering correction in the mid range and AVC's throttle control to almost 0. When the car gets a bit far away, I usually can't see when the tail is about to kick out or if I've over corrected. It has some usefulness for even experienced drivers.

I wish people could try to drive something RWD like a LOSI XXX-SCT in the rain or snow. Without AVC it's literally undriveable. Even if somehow you could keep it from spinning out, again, it's more of a chore than something that's fun to drive. The system is amazing, and I wish people would give it a chance instead of just bashing it. Even on real modern cars a lot of electronic assists are very useful. I use to race real cars on a track in the 90's, early 2000's 300-400WHP without any TC or ESP, and even I'll admit that I'm impressed by the advancements in certain stability management systems. RC cars are not like real cars, you can't "feel" the grip that an RC car has and at times (maybe it's just me), I can't see the car well enough to predict how it's going to react.

AVC wasn't too useful on something larger scale 4WD like my DBXL. 4WD cars are pretty easy to drive. However, on my HPI Baja which handled like a dogs breakfast, it was night and day. You could punch down on the throttle coming out of corners much harder. It would pull off some spectacular drifts. Maybe it's also the fact that all my cars were Electric. I could see that instant linear torque being more of a control issue as it would snap oversteer the car. A gas power car with a more progressive power curve may not have that issue. No matter how good of a driver you are, especially on an RC car, you can't beat the response time of electronic stability control. There's probably a good reason why AVC is banned at almost all tracks.

Last edited:
You should be able to connect the kill switch to channel 5 or 6. It may work with the AVC that way.

Keep us updated on what happens.

You should be able to run the killer bee on channel 5 or 6 and allow the use of the AVC feature. There shouldn't be an issue as it's an independent channel and AVC hogs two channels. Let us know either way.

Just an update on my findings. Since Spektrum wasn't specific enough and there is literally no information out there, I thought I'd post this up.

So the 4 channel SRS4200/4201 WILL NOT work with the Dynamite kill switch no matter what. Even if you disable the AVC, none of the 4 channels will properly activate the kill switch during failsafe operation. I confirmed this after fiddling with the stupid thing for hours. I have no idea why, but when Spektrum says the SRS4200 will not work, it simply will not work. Now, you can still kill the motor from the radio while everything is running, but that doesn't serve much purpose as a failsafe. It just works as a remote kill switch which is useless. The whole point of a kill switch is to shut the motor off when you lose bind.

Here's the stupid thing, Even though the manual says the dynamite kill switch isn't compatible with AVC receivers, it is compatible with SRS6000 6 channel AVC receiver. I guess nobody at Spektrum bothered to update this information when the SRS6000 came out to replace the SRS4200, or nobody bothered to test it. NICE! So I've confirmed that both with AVC on or off, the extra AUX channels will properly activate the kill switch during fail safe.

I've read multiple posts of people having issues with the dyanmite kill switch not working while connected to the SRS4200, even with AVC disabled. A lot of people are saying the Dynamite kill switch is to blame. It just isn't, it's not compatible. I'm sure they assumed what I initially did as well, which was that with AVC on there isn't enough channels for the kill switch, but with AVC off, you get 4 channels. It doesn't work that way. You cannot use those spare channels with AVC off to work with the kill switch. Don't try it unless you have the SRS6000. I have 2 Dyanmite kill switches and I've setup 3 more on friends cars. I've never had a single issue with them. At first the guys who had them said they were $hit, I set them up and they work. So honestly people posting up negative things about this kill switch probably just don't know what they're doing. They've worked flawlessly and I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on a Killerbee for nothing. I just wish these incompatibilities were properly documented.

Last edited:
Good info for the spektrum guys!
Just for your information. I had a dynamite. I use futaba gear. It worked great for about 2 months. Then it permanently wanted to kill my engine. I bought a killer bee, and have been home free since. (And I'm talking years now) Through my experience I don't reccomend dynamite. Has nothing to do with the radio, or set up. I just cant trust a product that took a crap that the company I bought it from wont back up.

Good info for the spektrum guys!
Just for your information. I had a dynamite. I use futaba gear. It worked great for about 2 months. Then it permanently wanted to kill my engine. I bought a killer bee, and have been home free since. (And I'm talking years now) Through my experience I don't reccomend dynamite. Has nothing to do with the radio, or set up. I just cant trust a product that took a crap that the company I bought it from wont back up.

Fair enough.

Just curious, when you say it wanted to permanently kill your engine, do you mean the LED would just not go back into ready status no matter what? I'm definitely not suggesting that everyone who is having problems doesn't know what they're doing. Everything manufactured eventually has some sort of defect. I have a friend with a Futaba radio that could not get the Dynamite kill switch to work. He bought a killer bee and right away got it running without issue. I took his Dynamite kill switch and put it on another friends car also running Futaba and it worked without issue. I still say the majority of reported issues are due to incorrect setup or possibly some sort of compatibility issues. Obviously, not in your case since yours was setup and working properly until it wasn't. I was referring more to people who couldn't get it to work from the get go.

Dynamite stuff is just re-branded. Their ESC, Motors, GPS, chargers are all SkyRC stuff. Regardless, they should back up their products and provide proper documentation.

I actually have more faith in Spektrum gear now than I used to. Back in the DSM days I had Helicopter crashes due to my DX7 radios losing bind and doing all sorts of funky stuff. I've heard the horror stories with RC cars and DSM as well. I'm pleasantly surprised with their DSMR stuff which I have not experienced a single glitch with.

Last edited:
Light wouldnt go back to ready status no matter what I did. And I couldn't get the engine to run with it being hooked up. Like i said this was years ago so its water under the bridge.
As ironic as this will sound I run a DX6i for my heli's. It worked great for me.

Actually a lot of these drift gyros and stability control systems for RC cars derive from RC Helicopter gyros. They're essentially just Helicopter tail rudder gyros and correct input in the opposite direction the vehicle is moving. AVC and others with the addition of throttle control as well. Whether people like it or not, I find the technology quite useful. No matter how fast or precise you are, the AVC gets you around a corner a lot faster. You can't "feel" when an RC car is going to oversteer, the gyro can. You can only see it when it starts to happen which by that time you've already reacted to it slower than the gyro.

Anyways, love heils, but our province in Canada has recently more or less banned all UAV's.. so RC cars it is!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks