Killer Bee failing, maybe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnubisBC

The Professor ?‍?
Build Thread Contributor
So I've had this Killer Bee kill switch for a long time, and I've bashed the crap out of it. This last week, I swapped the Rx battery from a NiMh to a LiFe batt. I fired it up last week with the new battery and everything ran perfectly. This evening, I opened the rx box to run some battery tests with the charger and the Killer Bee started making a rapid ticking sound and the LED flickered in unison with the sound

I swapped to my old rx battery, and the sound continued, although a bit slower. Thinking maybe my rx was failing, I switched it to a different channel, no change. I reconnected all the wires on it, but the only thing that stopped the click was moving it to a certain position, but the slightest movement, and it was back to clicking. The battery voltages are too close for me to think that was the issue. Maybe bad timing?

Has anyone else had this problem before? Is there a way to fix it? I don't mind getting another killswitch, but I'd rather not waste the money if it's a simple to fix with a soldering iron or something.

Here's a little vid demonstrating what I'm talking about (sorry for the vertical filming!):

Aaaand now I feel like an idiot.

I went and gave the board a little squirt of Deoxit to see if that might help. Nope, kept on clicking. But in my frustration, I pressed its wires in towards the rx and the damn thing went solid with no clicking! Multiple tries, whilst moving the KB all over produced the same result. So, lucky me, it was just a crappy connection to the rx plug!

When I got the thing forever ago, I noticed the rx plug looked a bit janky. It was open on one side and looked like everything was just glued in place with CA. When I changed to the new battery last week, I needed to unplug it from the rx. It must have been right on the edge of plug failure and my little motion just pushed it over that edge.

It's impressive how far KillerRC has come. This was what their 1st version kill switch plug looks like:

Attachments

• killerbee plug.jpg
    killerbee plug.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
So, just in case anyone cares. I got the JR plug kit in the mail today. I yanked the wires off the old plug and set them into a new plug, and the damn thing works like new again!

The only problem is that now I have 9 more sets of JR plugs, because I could only buy them in a pack of 10 sets. So if any of you silly wankers want a pair, I have some available. If you need one, just let me know! I'd only ask for the price of a stamp to send it to ya!
@dougstar might need to send a bit more for postage, but it'll still just be a letter! :ROFLMAO:

So, just in case anyone cares. I got the JR plug kit in the mail today. I yanked the wires off the old plug and set them into a new plug, and the damn thing works like new again!

The only problem is that now I have 9 more sets of JR plugs, because I could only buy them in a pack of 10 sets. So if any of you silly wankers want a pair, I have some available. If you need one, just let me know! I'd only ask for the price of a stamp to send it to ya!
@dougstar might need to send a bit more for postage, but it'll still just be a letter! :ROFLMAO:
Thanx for the offer but our postal service is so corrupt and has been bled so dry that it barely functioning ?? so unless I use a private posta service for all mail/packages or it never get there or goes missing ect ect

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks