King Motor X2 arrived yesterday!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New modified rc center diff uprights on the way. Note to self clean at least half the ten + pounds of mud off between runs! Ordered the modified set to replace the tiny ass diff bearings that come standard. Center diff gears got toasted and bearings poop the bed. All in a days fun!

Here ya go...

There is a batch of bad of 1/5 scale trucks with weak metal diffs, cups and dog bones.

It is happening on Losi 5Ts as well...

I received from KM three metal diffs, all with incorrect tolerances, and two completely locked out, the metal square blocks that hold the pins create binding on the spider gears.

Had to dremmel each and every block so the pins could slide without any resistance. Purchased all brand new Losi diff gears and dog bones.

Attachments

• 20160323_093811.jpg
    20160323_093811.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 11
http://vid948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/mazpr2025/Mobile Uploads/20160323_101047_zpso8gllnpd.mp4

Washers/ spacers, jammed with too tight tolerances on the Rovan King Motor differentials.

On the video 2 had not been worked on yet, one (the darker one), is from another diff which was ok, and the other two spacers silver finish had been dremmeled out some material until they would spin freely.

Attached is a photo of the washers I am referring to, all need to be sanded w some paper and water to remove rough uneven edges.

I am just saying, you hit gold w yours, but bad batches of the X2 305 are out there. Mine, I am putting it back together just its not in pieces and able to sell if need be, but I am buying a Losi soon.

Check out those weird geometric washers that came w the KM Rovan diffs, compared to typical Losi washers.

Attachments

• 20160323_103056.jpg
    20160323_103056.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160323_105717.jpg
    20160323_105717.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
After several weekends bashing and racing with friends I will offer that my center and rear diff internals have been replaced with Losi parts. Center chipped a tooth and rear was due to diff cup flex under heavy loads. My Pinion gear wore out and has been replaced as well. The diff brace was for added braking and the larger bearings since the flanged bearings are great for ease of use but lacking the ability to carry the loads this truck generates. Kinda a drawback regardless of brand. Mind you i did run it in severe muddy conditions where i did remove 10+ lbs of mudcake from the chassis afterward on two different weekends. I'll chalk these failures up to my own abuse. Now looking into the front and rear machined cases to carry larger bearings and alloy diff gear cups as well. All factory bearings were removed cleaned and regreased with water resistant marine grade grease which was surprisingly easy to do. Other than those issues I am still very happy with the purchase and will continue to recommend these to people interested in getting into 1/5 scale.

After several weekends bashing and racing with friends I will offer that my center and rear diff internals have been replaced with Losi parts. Center chipped a tooth and rear was due to diff cup flex under heavy loads. My Pinion gear wore out and has been replaced as well. The diff brace was for added braking and the larger bearings since the flanged bearings are great for ease of use but lacking the ability to carry the loads this truck generates. Kinda a drawback regardless of brand.

I'll chalk these failures up to my own abuse. Now looking into the front and rear machined cases to carry larger bearings...

I am still very happy with the purchase and will continue to recommend these to people interested in getting into 1/5 scale.

Yeah, whatever, you were the one slammed me about been user error, you just look like a fool now...

Here is another picture of the washers //

On the left is a Losi washer, perpendicular to the pin, while the the one on the RIGHT is a King Motor Rovan, it is slightly off in an angle, enough to create havoc on the diffs.

It teaches you that before talking out of your reverse directed mouth, to use the other 90% of the brain.

Attachments

• 20160323_110709.jpg
    20160323_110709.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 13
FWIW, blew out my first diff, though haven't opened it up yet to see how bad it was (locked solid most of Saturday, rear one). All in all, I'm quite happy with my X2, even with some breakages. And yeah, that nasty Mad Max looking x2 is mine in the pic above.

MIP? I'm wearing their shirt cause it was all I could afford to buy off their site!:p
Ain't that the truth. The price was not bad form TGN on EBay and free shipping from Cali got it here in 3 days. Looks like MIP has some competition from the Axxis kit out there at 149.00. MIP's MSRP was outrageous on the website. Trying out the super diff kit in my center as well to see if I can extend the diff service life. Fluid seemed to be a lot more clear than previous inspections at the same intervals with stock losi pins and blocks.

Do the rotors still jingle jangle while coasting. I hate hearing that sound on the stock brakes over a running engine!!!! I was considering carbon fiber rotors as that was a fair bit cheaper and heard once scratched up, they work quite well w/o fade.

No jangle at all but kinda clacky if they are dragging a bit when hand turning. Can't her them at all when running just pipe and pinion whine. Did not get a chance to fully test them yet. But a short run showed flawless performance. No more wishing it would stop it stops! Got to track today with no backup plug. Funny thing was the plug was getting a spark but it obviously was not enough. Got home put in new plug and it ran like a banshee! There are now more plugs in my bag.

Two afternoons with the new mip brakes and I'm in love. They should just include a bucket of chain and anchors instead of the factory disks and pads. Super smooth fade free stopping power. Lead finger has the LRP set and they seem to be a massive improvement over stock as well.

RCR brakes, here. Very thick steel rotors, and what looks to be bronze pads (not plated, but I haven't cut one in half to see). The tolerances in the center holes are tight, and if you run them and have to disassemble the center diff section, you're probably going to have to bust out a file to get the dogbone wear flashing off the cup just to get the brakes off. Minor inconvenience compared to the improved performance. I can deal with a little clanking, and the RCR's don't when you have them adjusted right, but the smooth application of feathered brake action is unreal compared to the aluminum rotors that came with my X2.

Revo, I read somewhere on here where you were not happy with 100K in your center diff, and went to the TC locker. Due to a poor choice in aluminum upgrades, I had to drop in my locked center (TC damped). I'm not 100% sure I prefer the locked center. I need to get a second diff cup and build up another center with maybe 100K (again), or 200K (should be here this week). I found the locked center makes the truck enter a drift easier, may be a bit harder on the rest of the drive train. I can't seem to find the post or thread now where you were talking about that.

Had to file the center diff cup edges as well when installing the MIP kit. I can attest to the better performance of the RCR's. NO matter what set i was running the brake cams were sticking in the on position so I inserted a collapsible fuel tube on the opposing side of the brake arm to pop it loose and it seems to work well. Put on a new airfilter this weekend and performance was improved greatly over the stock filter set.

http://www.tgndistributing.com/losi-5ive-t-dt-1-low-profile.html

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks