King Motor X2 arrived yesterday!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I would for sure consider this right off since the aluminum is is very robust. Mine has all the parts the deluxe came with but had to get the shock towers separate.

Nice! I would for sure consider this right off since the aluminum is is very robust. Mine has all the parts the deluxe came with but had to get the shock towers separate.

Looks like most of those aluminum parts are good, but after having tried a Rovan center diff tower set, I would look on that part with suspicion. The shock towers, definitely a plus, as well as the diagonal braces.

The pipe in that link is loud, but the one with the silencer is pretty good.

Looks like most of those aluminum parts are good, but after having tried a Rovan center diff tower set, I would look on that part with suspicion. The shock towers, definitely a plus, as well as the diagonal braces.

The pipe in that link is loud, but the one with the silencer is pretty good.

What was wrong with the Rovan split diff. mount part? I had heard good things about them. Fit, finish, etc....

What was wrong with the Rovan split diff. mount part? I had heard good things about them. Fit, finish, etc....

The set I got was not the split variety, but was Rovan. The front tower the diff bearing pocket wasn't machined correctly and the diff bearing would not even begin to seat. The aluminum in the rear tower simply galled to the point of almost seizing in the tower. Took Shimmy's lead and upgraded to the MRC diff support set, which I am tickled pink with.

Another Rovan part I have a gripe with is their air filter outerwear. That part was made out of a nylon material that was slightly more permeable than a ziplock sandwich bag, but only slightly. The material used looks and feels like rip-stop nylon, but without the rip-stop thread grid.

Oh, and the 30.5cc motor I got from them, it cooks pipe couplers within hours (<2) runtime. Runs good, just literally cooks the couplers off the header. Shimmy has had much much better luck with those on his KM 30.5. I called DDM and ran my setup and symptoms by Steve and he was at a total loss on this.

I'm not trying to bash Rovan, but geeze some of the issues I've had with their parts, bought from Rovan direct, kind of suck IMO. My X2 is slowly becoming less KM day by day, but Rovan parts I'm avoiding now due to past experience.

Update since I have not had any issues to speak of besides parts thrashed to death but the KM 30.5 has finally bit the dust. Post mortem reveals a cracked piston. Not truly surprised after the amount of runtime and abuse I have put the truck through. I could replace the head and piston since the bottom end is in decent shape but it is time for the next UPGRADE!!!!! Stay tuned for the arrival of the OBR version of the 30.5!

cracked piston.jpg

Update since I have not had any issues to speak of besides parts thrashed to death but the KM 30.5 has finally bit the dust. Post mortem reveals a cracked piston. Not truly surprised after the amount of runtime and abuse I have put the truck through. I could replace the head and piston since the bottom end is in decent shape but it is time for the next UPGRADE!!!!! Stay tuned for the arrival of the OBR version of the 30.5!

View attachment 10896

I don't think that's gonna polish out !

How much runtime did you get out of your KM 30.5? Also, are you going with a OBR engine or headkit? Also one thing I noticed in term of KM vs Rovan, some Rovan LT305 came with cast center shaft, they break in under 20min a friend of mine sold all his rc stuff and gave me rovan spares, including center shaft and they are not the same material as the KM at all, they have a texturised finish, you can see the casting marks aswell, in other words its junk. The KM are maybe less hard that the Losi but are still machined hardened steel , im guessing cheaper material something like 30HRC vs 45HRC for the losi (guessed numbers)... Also if you break pins just buy a set of hardened steel pins of McMaster Carr , 10 for like 5$ or so...

McMaster Carr for pins... I'll check that out. Run time on the 30.5 KM was 4 gallons. I have a OBR long block 30.5cc full mod long stroke on order now. The lower end on the KM for sure looked serviceable however I have not checked the crank and bearings yet. Leadfingerwhitt had the rovan version of the 30.5 in his x2 and it lasted longer than the KM version in mine. We were running slightly different versions of Klots 2 stroke mix and ran similar quantities of fuel over roughly the same period of time. Driving styles for sure play a factor in the longevity department.

My rovan 30.5 always cooked off pipe couplers. Within two tanks. Didnt matter what pipe either. Ran pretty good, but buying couplers in bulk sucked. Went with a stock g320 core and put my goodies on it and am not looking back.

Can anyone tell me if that carbon pattern is anywhere near normal?

Attachments

• 4975.jpeg
    4975.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 10
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks