King Motors Baja Clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i did some checking before i purchased a buggy,KM looked idenicle to HPI on the outside, so i took a chance, and went the cheep way out. $500 vs $800+ for a SS. "bad mistake", out of the box throttle horn was broke, no biggie, futaba horn fit perfect, no time steering servo stripped, KM servo bracket different from HPI, replaced with HPI bracket & servo, although diff looks strong enough, it's not the same,"outdrive cup shafts are smaller diameter", spider gears look the same as HPI, all bearings are good quality, although engine looks to be same as CY, it isnt!!! ran strong for about a half gallon then lost all compression, tore down, stroke is longer than CY, clutch housing is integral with crankcase, "not removable" --shock internals are different (although i do like their design) plan on changing fluid right off. after about 2 grand of repairs & upgrades i finally have a good racer!!! IMO buy a HPI ss, (wish i would have)

If the price is close to a HPI, buy the HPI. The issues you talk about are the same for both units but the motor on the KM is cheap and when upgrading better to buy a complete motor.
They were a deal and worth the risk when the 1st generations were sold on ebay at $380.00 plus shipping. I would not recommend them as a 1st timer.

Last edited:
i have the kingmotor buggy and the gears got chewed up so we bought the hpi diff locker and the smaller bearing will not fit into the locker can anyone help

Last edited:
May be a part that is different from the HPI brand? Someone noticed when tearing down that some diff parts were not the same. Funny, some get mad that they look the same others get mad when they aren't. :laugh:

What are the measurements?

when i chewed up my stock KM baja differential I bought the all metal replacement for the HPI baja and it all fit together perfectly. Now I just burned out the Stock steering servo and I don't think a new ones gonna fit unless I change the mounts but I'm not sure. anyone else had to replace steering servo? The stock servo has rounded cover and all the rest are rectangle.

Yes you will need to swap out the holder to the HPI one and buy an adapter to go to the 5745mg small servo. Wish I still had my old stock servo I would give it to ya, but already gave it away.

King Motor Baja KSRC-001 Truck Buggy 1:5 RC Gas Car

I just purchased this Truck. What parts would you upgrade on it and what parts would be handly to have, I am deployed overseas and would like to have some spare parts onhand.

I am thinking about upgrading the engine. What would be a good fit for it.

Thanks
Tony

Welcome Tony. Is it the truck or buggy. If its the buggy stick with it until you get all the kinks out. Then start upgrading. Mainly the electronics are a 1st upgrade area. On motors it would be the 27.2 Zen for me in a Baja, any make....

upgrades

I would recommend getting a killer bee fail safe unit, and get better radio gear, I had mine less than a 6 months and both servos and the reciever have failed. get some extra tires, my stock rears wore out in a week and its nice to have an extra set of a-arms (I found hollow spots in some of the broken stock plastic parts i've replaced) I also replaced my shocks because the stock ones that came with mine were crappy and car tended to flip taking corners. the body that came with my KM was brittle and got cracked easy.
!!!!!!TAKE APART YOUR DIFFERENTAIL AND MAKE SURE ITS HAS ENOUGH LUBE!!!!!! or get a spare. heres how my first gallon of gas went-
Well I bought 1 off of eBay for $499 shipped to my door and I have run 1 gallon of gas thru it and this is what I have had to replace so far: 1st the arm on the throttle servo was cracked right out of the box, I used the steering arm from the servo in my T-Maxx to replace it and the guy I bought it from did send me a new 1, then I tried to start it and the pull start broke, I was able to get it working again till I got a replacement for $30, OK I got it running and it actually runs great, the only thing that’s bad about the engine is the kill switch, it does not have the rubber cover over it and it can get stuck in if its dirty when you shut it off, other then that I have no problems with the engine. after running a couple tanks thru it the throttle servo died, I used the steering servo from my T-maxx to get it running again and ordered another servo for $40 and the lower body panels were broken, they were very brittle and would snap if you bent them and I wore out the rear tires so I replaced them, body panels $17 and rear proline bow tie tires $45, then after another tank or 2 the front tires started tearing at the bead, replaced them for $17 then the roll cage broke $24 to replace that, then the axle boots ripped and the differential tore up so I got a whole new alloy 1 for $80 and axle boots for $7 and fixed that and on the last tank of gas I broke a lower rear a-arm the center of it was hollow, I replaced all rear a-arms for $24.

Last edited:
i have the hpi locker i don't know what else to do we bought the hpi axle ends because the stock ones were to small then we got the hpi ends and they were too big i don't want to get a new diff because it will just get chewed up again what can i do?!?!?!

Last edited:
What chewed up in the diff? I took out the diff in my HPIBaja from the bearing seizing up and everything following suit.:( After the rebuild I have yet to have a problem. I can say most people say the locker is not too great on most surfaces. I don't know that from experience though.:blush:

I bought the Baja buggy. I was thinking of getting a big bore kit for my engine, Instead of replacing my new engine. What one would you recommend, or should I just upgrade to a new engine.

Where is a good place on line to buy upgrade parts?

Thanks tony

I would invest in a new motor all together depending on the type of motor that is in it. If you are one of the luckier ones that get a CY on the baja then you can upgrade. If you get the KM motor then I would swap it out with new for more power. The lower end is made specifically for the KM. Figures they couldn't clone the cloned motor.:laugh: The stock motor can get a good boost from a pipe though. The pipe is a needed item no matter what so not a bad investment.
There are many different types of motors. The only ify ones are the 29cc's. They had a history of having bad plating.
Here are a couple of places to get motors from:
DDM
Oneills

DDM is a great place for parts but ebay is a great place too.

Last edited:
Baja Aluminum Tuned Pipe and Parts Set 5B SS HPI

Hello,

Will the Baja Aluminum Tuned Pipe for the 5B SS HPI fit my King Motor Baja??

Also what HPI Baja version is compatible with the King motor Baja??

thanks
Tony

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks