Kraken front/rear HPI Baja shocks on sale at DDM... Do the stock shocks need upgraded?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrebee88

I haven't go to the shock portion of the build yet, so I don't know how good the quality of the stock shocks are. Are the Kraken ones worth picking up while on sale at DDM?​

Kraken RC HD FRONT Shock Upgrade Set for HPI Baja Reg Price 139.99​

$117.99

Kraken RC Rear HD Upgrade Shock Set for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC Reg Price 144.99​

$119.99

I don't know yet, but I'm guessing they're longer? I really want them and the vesla arms for my baja 5. Just saw a build (sorry I'm new and don't remember the name ) and the just the arms look like it gives a ton more width and travel. The shocks ... maybe a more experienced builder can confirm it for us so we know where to spend the next rc budget.
It was you ferrebee with your 5t, wasn't it

I don't know yet, but I'm guessing they're longer? I really want them and the vesla arms for my baja 5. Just saw a build (sorry I'm new and don't remember the name ) and the just the arms look like it gives a ton more width and travel. The shocks ... maybe a more experienced builder can confirm it for us so we know where to spend the next rc budget.
It was you ferrebee with your 5t, wasn't it
No. I recently built a VEKTA.5

Me too, awsome truck. I've only been on the forum a bit and never been able to remember names easy, but torque specs and firing orders no problem. Lol
I just started building the Baja 5b kit today. After getting the FLM extended arm kit and the xlx2/800kv combo, what’s a couple hundred more for a shock upgrade if it needs it. Problem is that I don’t know if it needs it.

Last edited:
I got a mamba xl2 and the 780kv motor for my baja way back when then never used it, put an 29.5 esp high rpm big bore instead just because I thought the suspension was so bad it wouldn't be any fun, now the vesla comes along and I'm looking for more from my baja, the stock set up is soo stiff even with the piggyback shock caps

I am a sucker for builders kits. I wanted a Losi 5t, but got the VEKTA.5 so I could build it. That is also why I got the Baja kit. I just love putting them together and making them work.

I've been accumulating funds for my vekta.5 for what seems like forever, not even running it yet cause parts are still coming to be at my level of ready ... and all I can think about is what I need for the next build's..., parts coming for mega truck, part lists building on my head for baja, finally ran my arma outcast 8s for the first time today, 8s limitless on the build bench, super baja rey on the coffee table in front of the couch, blizzard never ran all apart and parts piled in the box for 2 mamba x and 2 2280kv, with 2 stampede diffs for trannies, will they ever stop making new models so I can catch up on my builds?

I've been accumulating funds for my vekta.5 for what seems like forever, not even running it yet cause parts are still coming to be at my level of ready ... and all I can think about is what I need for the next build's..., parts coming for mega truck, part lists building on my head for baja, finally ran my arma outcast 8s for the first time today, 8s limitless on the build bench, super baja rey on the coffee table in front of the couch, blizzard never ran all apart and parts piled in the box for 2 mamba x and 2 2280kv, with 2 stampede diffs for trannies, will they ever stop making new models so I can catch up on my builds?
I told myself I was going to build the 5b stock… now here I am $2,000 into it

I used to turn away when an rc was near 1k, now 2k seems like just a drop in the bucket. In 2008 I got my 5b ss with all I needed to run it $1400 cad, I thought I lost my mind, after that if I got to the cash at the lhs with less than $100, they owner looked at me funny and asked if I stopped using my cars that week

I had these on my 5B and it was returned. They are EXTREMELY stiff springs to a point that you can't even push it down. They are meant for big bores with cages.

Steve told me he also had some pre production springs that are softer but you do have to email him because they are not for sale on the site. But i decided not to go that route. The look great but man they are crazy stiff.

I had these on my 5B and it was returned. They are EXTREMELY stiff springs to a point that you can't even push it down. They are meant for big bores with cages.

Steve told me he also had some pre production springs that are softer but you do have to email him because they are not for sale on the site. But i decided not to go that route. The look great but man they are crazy stiff.
The FLM extended aluminum arms adds a little weight and the electronic setup i'll have in there (the esc/motor and two 4s batteries) weighs 7 pounds, so hopefully that will push the shocks down a bit... I guess I'll find out soon.

If it's staying an actual 5b, the stock shocks can be made to work well. But adding cage, bigger engines, alloy parts etc doesn't seem like .uch weight but it adds up quick. Stock shocks really can only handle mostly factory weights.

Another good upgrade is adding losi shocks, requires some spacers and shock extensions to work, but they are a very nice alternative with plenty of spring weights. FB_IMG_1653950216325.jpg

If it's staying an actual 5b, the stock shocks can be made to work well. But adding cage, bigger engines, alloy parts etc doesn't seem like .uch weight but it adds up quick. Stock shocks really can only handle mostly factory weights.

Another good upgrade is adding losi shocks, requires some spacers and shock extensions to work, but they are a very nice alternative with plenty of spring weights. View attachment 88127
I do plan on putting the sx5 or tsk1 cage on after I am finished with my build. Most likely the sand rail kit.

Last edited:

Holy Crap!!! I just got the shocks today and you were not kidding! Those are incredibly stiff! I emailed Steve to get some softer springs. I'm so used to having smaller scale shocks that I have to bleed, so these are definitely different to fill with shock oil and get the cap on without trapping too much air.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks