Looking for suggestions on where to spend my $$$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey y’all,
I just got a new job and want to celebrate by buying a new toy.
I’m looking to spend ~$3k.
I’ve owned bunch of crappy electric rc and a 1/10 kyosho nitro rc and looking to scale up in size and fun.
I’m just looking to bash around and won’t see a track at all.
Kraken vekta 5 looks cool but a quick read tells me that it’s unreliable and a time/money hole.
let me know what you people think
cheers

So the big main 3 are the losi 5ive T, the Kraken vekta, and the hpi baja. There's is others but those are the most popular and have the best aftermarket support. The vekta, is a hit or miss really. I think the unreliability starts when you start putting heavy ass tires on it, and you get transmission nissues like @William E Burrows Jr , on the other hand @crucialRC has has a great experience with his vekta,, and he never put those tires on. The downside in my opinion to the vekta is it is extremely heavy so you will need a balsy engine to make it fast, that's my opinion. The hpi Baja, is a good vehicle, but needs some improving. Also, the Baja is discontinued, so your stuck with 2 options, a clone or buying a used one, clones are total poop IMO, I've had both and hpi is superior (can we not turn this into a clone v original argument again guys?). So if you want a new one, your out of luck. The losi, can't really go wrong with. It has the g320 engine in it now, to give it some more get up and go. Great aftermarket support, and seems great just out of the box. Now that's from what I've seen, i only own a Baja ?

So the big main 3 are the losi 5ive T, the Kraken vekta, and the hpi baja. There's is others but those are the most popular and have the best aftermarket support. The vekta, is a hit or miss really. I think the unreliability starts when you start putting heavy ass tires on it, and you get transmission nissues like @William E Burrows Jr , on the other hand @crucialRC has has a great experience with his vekta,, and he never put those tires on. The downside in my opinion to the vekta is it is extremely heavy so you will need a balsy engine to make it fast, that's my opinion. The hpi Baja, is a good vehicle, but needs some improving. Also, the Baja is discontinued, so your stuck with 2 options, a clone or buying a used one, clones are total poop IMO, I've had both and hpi is superior (can we not turn this into a clone v original argument again guys?). So if you want a new one, your out of luck. The losi, can't really go wrong with. It has the g320 engine in it now, to give it some more get up and go. Great aftermarket support, and seems great just out of the box. Now that's from what I've seen, i only own a Baja ?
I’ve read both their experiences with the vekta 5. Overall consensus seems to be that the vekta is unreliable and only worthwhile for the looks.
What are your thoughts on the MCD W5 Max Ultimate? Can’t seem to find too many readings on it

@Serial hobbyists the MCD W5 is a serious track car, with little to no aftermarket support. I won't recommend against it. I'm sure it's actually a very nice piece of kit.

That being said, you need to answer some questions for yourself as to what you want in a large scale car. Do you want 4WD or 2WD. What kind of environment will you be running? Will you eventually want to add more power? Do you like to tinker and add bits to your car?

The HPI, Losi and to a lesser extent the Vekta have a very expansive aftermarket and are better known to bashers and the recreational crowd. MCD and other models are more suited to the EU track circuit and simply don't enjoy the kind of aftermarket the others do.

The HPI Baja is discontinued, as Z mentioned, but you can still get them New In Box on the open market. For example: http://www.davesmotors.com/HPI-115484-Racing-1-5-Baja-5B-Kraken-Sidewinder-X5-Gas-RTR.html

If you'd rather go 4WD, get the Losi 5iveT 2.0: http://www.davesmotors.com/Losi-LOS...le-Short-Course-Truck-Gas-BND-Grey-Blue-White

If you can find one, get a MTXL. Its a fantastic basher, and easily one of my absolute favorite vehicles. It is discontinued, but shares most parts with the DBXL. Plus some aftermarket parts have been introduced.

The MCD W5 looks so damn sick!
But after further research, I think my money is best spent on a losi 5t 2.0.
I think I’ll regret getting the vekta after the first reliability issue and regret the MCD once I see my visa bill.
Any suggestions on the first few upgrades?
Which transmitter is best? I’d like to use it on my kyosho as well.

a good tuned pipe(y) outerwears all round(y) killer bee(y) and futaba 4PM (y)
The losi 5t 2.0 is fantastic. This is all you really need in terms of upgrades right away. Upgrade everything else with top quality parts when stuff breaks. Remember to use a good quality 2 stroke oil like castor 927 or motul 800 or something similiar

I’ve read both their experiences with the vekta 5. Overall consensus seems to be that the vekta is unreliable and only worthwhile for the looks.
What are your thoughts on the MCD W5 Max Ultimate? Can’t seem to find too many readings on it
that's a track rc...no basher imo?
imo I'd go fora new losi 5ive?and the essintal upgeades?
welcome aboard dude ?

@Serial hobbyists the MCD W5 is a serious track car, with little to no aftermarket support. I won't recommend against it. I'm sure it's actually a very nice piece of kit.

That being said, you need to answer some questions for yourself as to what you want in a large scale car. Do you want 4WD or 2WD. What kind of environment will you be running? Will you eventually want to add more power? Do you like to tinker and add bits to your car?

The HPI, Losi and to a lesser extent the Vekta have a very expansive aftermarket and are better known to bashers and the recreational crowd. MCD and other models are more suited to the EU track circuit and simply don't enjoy the kind of aftermarket the others do.

The HPI Baja is discontinued, as Z mentioned, but you can still get them New In Box on the open market. For example: http://www.davesmotors.com/HPI-115484-Racing-1-5-Baja-5B-Kraken-Sidewinder-X5-Gas-RTR.html

If you'd rather go 4WD, get the Losi 5iveT 2.0: http://www.davesmotors.com/Losi-LOS...le-Short-Course-Truck-Gas-BND-Grey-Blue-White
I’m taking the leap and buying a Losi 5t 2.0. I also will get the Bartolone 32cc Tuned Pipe for my first mod.
I guess the killer bee is a must as well.
I’m not sure about the Futaba 4PM though...
Can anyone explain the benefits of a premium transmitter vs a sub $100 one?

I'd echo some of the others here, the mcd is awsome. Not for the basher. The losi 5ive t 2.0 is the best imo. Best base for performance, and other then the baja has the best aftermarket support. I wouldnt reccomend anything discontinued. I've been down that road in the past, and now I cant even find u joints for it.(specifically speaking against the mtxl, the baja will be around for a while) You'll not go wrong, or have issues with a futaba radio. I would reccomend a minimum of a 3pv, 4pv would seem to be preferred. I run the 3pv and love it. A kill switch is a must.

Range, reliability, Support. Nothing says this for land based rc like a futaba radio. There are others, but none I trust on a 1/5 scale. Spektrum just give too many issues with kill switches, and they like to change designs and not have the product completely ready for the demand of market. I do like flysky radios, (gt3c) but the range isnt the greatest.

With 3k to spare, I'd take 1500.00 and invest in AT&T on Monday morning. I'd use the remaining 1500.00 to close out the weekend with hookers and blow.

Looks like you have decided on the 5ive T. If a buggy is more your thing, this one has piqued my interest. Supposedly, it is made by the designer of the Losi DBXL, only better.

For upgrades, exhaust and intake. I wouldn't get an outerwears for the stock intake. Or you'll end up like me with a stock intake in the parts bin with a useless outerwears. Look into a Stu's or TR air box.

A 30N body would also be one of my first purchases for the 5ive T. Until you get one I'd line the inside of the rear fender wells with a couple of layers of duct tape to protect the paint on the lexan body.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks