Metal Clutch turning blue, Taylor 35cc engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to be honest it all depends on each users personal preference with clutches,
i myself like the steel fs clutch and will be changing all mine out as the ones with normal (fibre) shoes fitted wear out,
some people cannot get on with all steel clutches,
rooster tail used to make and sell there ultra clutch, all steel and worked well, but they have since stopped selling them,
maybe they got priced out of the market with the ufc and fs versions ?
mike taylor sells just about every decent clutch going, (in his own words he only sells quality parts ) whether it be fibre based shoes or steel, zenoah and cy fibre along with his own larger fibre versions,
he also sells the fs and ufc 54mm steel versions as well,
he also sells his own 62mm all steel sintered clutch,
steel clutches do not create shards of steel, unless there has been a horrific failure of some sort,
the above is just for info, all correct as the way i understand it :),
taylor 62mm steel clutch link

https://www.taylorrc.co.uk/product-page/rcmax-custom-62mm-clutch-set

edit, taylor rc also sell there v3 all steel clutch as well, that is a twin spring as opposed to the single spring,

Since I had to remove the Taylor RC 35cc engine from the KV5TT to replace the thrust washers (parts were sent out on behalf of Taylor RC as a quality control measure) I decided to reuse the metal clutch. This time the TRC 35 was going into a Baja I built mostly with parts resourced from Detroit Performance (Taylor RC/RCMAX). Why not use the TRC 35cc in that build? Yeah, it also has some Rovan parts too. Once they wear out or break, I will make some changes.

20220612_034454.jpg

20220612_034412.jpg

After a minor tune on the bench, had some time to run the Baja before it started to rain. Well damn, that was fun! No issues with the metal clutch at all. No noise from slipping. No issues with launching the Baja, or just mulling around the yard at various speeds. Side note: What a performance difference with the TRC 35cc engine over the Zenoah-ESP G340RC (stock port). May have to gear it up for more speed.

I am now considering getting some more of the metal clutches for my other vehicles.

Nice @Bandit2013, however i would suggest getting a tuned side pipe like The Taylor or Olimat 34cc+ side pipe. Both have a larger expansion chamber and a larger stinger diameter which is optimized for the T35
That pipe you're using will severely restrict the performance, and you will notice a huge power increase with above mentioned pipes, even with a Bartolone or VRC pipe, but the Taylor or Olimat will get you the best performance (y)

Last edited:
Nice @Bandit2013, however i would suggest getting a tuned side pipe like The Taylor or Olimat 34cc+ side pipe. Both have a larger expansion chamber and a larger stinger diameter which is optimized for the T35
That pipe you're using will severely restrict the performance, and you will notice a huge power increase with above mentioned pipes, even with a Bartolone or VRC pipe, but the Taylor or Olimat will get you the best performance (y)
I wanted to try it out since I had it. The Taylor 35cc was first installed on a KV5TT and I had the Taylor exhaust for it. Had to cut the pipe and weld on a silencer as it was way too loud. I do not like wearing earplugs.
20220515_120052.jpg

I did try a different exhaust, however, I could not get the engine to tune properly. It was way too restrictive. It was choking off the engine. Since I will not be using the Taylor 35cc with the Vekta KV5TT, the Victory pipe may work out with the stock motor that came with the truck.

20220515_123957.jpg

I know most do not like Taiwan or Chinese made products or anything that does not claim made in USA, UK or Australia.
I have settled on the dual exhaust for now. May not be tapered like the performance pipes or have a calculated return pulse to keep the fresh mix from spitting out. I am surprised how well that exhaust nobody likes is working out.

Sure, I would agree that a side pipe designed for maximum performance would be ideal. Unfortunately, my driving skills with the RC are not on par with most of you and I still tend to run into things. That would be the first thing damaged or second thing after I rip off the front end. It is wicked as is with 56/17 gearing. Will have to see how things improve with the 18t pinion. I can see how the 55/19 would be popping wheelies. I can barely keep the front on the ground now but is not flipping the car over. Engine is not even broken in since I found the KV5TT was a bit lame, not all that bad but not as fun as the Bajas I have.

Perhaps some day I will try out a side pipe, if they can make a good exhaust with silencer on it, that may be worth while. Without a silencer, I would not be able to run the car as my neighbors would be complaining all the time. So far they are tolerating it now. Have no where else to run except at work.

Yeah the Baja unsilenced side pipes are loud, and most guys are running 22/52 or 23/51 depending on wheel size, but you would deffo need a wheelie bar

If you've got it tamed the way it is atm then run with that i guess

Thank you for your comments and suggestion. A side pipe would offer better performance. Would like to see any rear mount exhausts from Taylor or Olimat. Not much in stock as of late. I will run what I got for the time being.

Almost tame. It still wants to unload the front end more so than the Zenoah-ESP engine running the same gears. No standing wheelies or flip overs yet which is fine. Will have to experiment with different gearing options. I have the TR HD-V2 clutch setup which limits pinion gear options. I can get a spur gear from Blackbone with the aluminum carrier as that will have less inertial mass than the BlackMagic spur gears. DDM still has the 19T and 20T pinons for the TR-HD. Best to get them before they become discontinued. Time to spend more money.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks