My Alloy Beast - FG Baja RWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
managed to find a counter sunk bolt last night, unfortunatly it was a phillips head one but I think it will still work.

so once you put the new carrier on but the bolt through centre hole and tighten as much as you can. I used some loktite as I couldnt crank it as much as a phillips head one.

Clutch7Small.jpg

next add the two bolts for clutch shoes, again tighten very tight, i didnt use loktite on these two.

install the clutch bell carrier with 3 bolts and job done, couldnt be easier!

Clutch8Small.jpg

decided to repair the busted rear last night. discovered I also destroyed an inner ring, luckily got a few spares so changed it over. also decided to use a drill for the beadlocks instead of doing it by hand. damn so much quicker and easier!

so the beast is all ready for the weekend now :D

took the beast out for a run on sat but wasnt a long one unfortunetly :(

the ball drives kept slipping and causing the engine to free rev. first I thought my rebuilt diff was gone but closer inspection confirmed the problem.

had a look last night and adjusted the upper rear arms, hopefully problem is fixed. wonder if there are longer ball drives I could use to address this?

went for a run on sat, surface at carrum was mint but unfortunatly it turns out I haven't fixed the ball drive slipping issue

whats happening is there is just engough gap with the ball drive shaft is it slips out of the cup just enough for the balls to no longer sit in the indents in the cups, in a straight line I get full drive but any right hand turning and the slips until I straighted again, very frustrating!

so this week I got some new balls (yes ha ha, balls for the ball drives) coming and im going to shim the axle in so that the gap is less and therefor the ball drives cant slip out of the cups, also going to use some fuel tubing to help take up the gap as well.

absolutley destroyed one of the front hubs in a viscous cartweel so going to order another hub, going to stick with the plastic MT hubs kane used as I think they will be more reliable than alloy ones which have been known to drop bolts from the bottom.

ok got the new balls last night and installed them on the shafts (jeez this thread has gone down hill fast, and its all my fault!

Used a couple of shims on each axle to bring the cup closer to the shaft and used a bit of nitro fuel tubing on each diff cup to take any extra slack. shafts feel allot tighter now.

so third time lucky, going to give it a test on Sunday to see if ive finally fixed the slippage problem!

turn out take 3 was a complete failure as well. lasted about a tank and then the slippage started again.

haven't had time to pull it down and see whats going one with it all. think im going to take a break from the beast and concentrate on the 4WD, need to decide if im going to persist with the ball drive set up its now running or get some dog bones and try again.

motor is only a standard G260 but with that pipe its awesome, really makes that motor sing.

decided last night to stick with the ball drives for now, going to send the shaft, balls, outdrives and axles to the FG importer here in OZ to get his opinion on whats causing the problem.

well had a bit of spare time last night so though I would start my rebuild on the best.

this is what it was like before i took the hose to it. been sitting like this for week, hate to see how many bearings im going to have to replace!

22072011259.jpg

22072011260.jpg

decided to start investigating whats causing my drive issue and discovered one of the rear pins that hold the swing arm on inside is badly bent, i don't have a spare so going to try and straighten it at work tommorow.

yeah as soon as I sort out this blardy drive problem. i think ive got a set up that will work now but just discovered the bearing that sits on the clutch housing is rooted, so i need to order some bearings before I can give it a test run.

ok checked over everything (i think) and once I get two last bearings it will finally be ready for a test, been so long, don't know what ill do if it slips again :lol:

managed to find the bearings I needed from a local bearing shop, good thing i only needed two because they were $2 each!

installed them tonight and gave it a bench test, very happy to say working fine, hopefully if the weather is nice im going to give it a test run and find out if its finally fixed.

ok checked over everything (i think) and once I get two last bearings it will finally be ready for a test, been so long, don't know what ill do if it slips again :lol:

Hi bud, i gave up on the stock clutches they are crap and wear very quickly, i bought a Lauterbacher Adjustable OFFROAD 4-Shoe Billet 54mm Clutch these last 100 times longer also u can buy the replacement tefflon pads. its fully adjustable can set it to engage at any rpm, one of the best investments you can buy for your 5th scale Great product!

Troy

media.jpg

thanks for the info, how hard is it to put the pads on them?

got the beast loaded up into the boot, fingers crossed hoping i have finally fixed that drive problem.

Hi m8 as Atom said it don't take long to replace the pads, but the really good thing is they take a long time to wear unlike the stock clutch setup

thanks for the info fellas, are the pads just glued (assuming araldite) to the carrier?

took the beast out for a run yesterday.

WOOOOHOOOO! SUCCESS!

the drive problem is fixed!!! ran a tank before another problem decided to pop up :(

spur gear carrier is slipping on the shaft and my receiver battery sparked and killed a cell.

hoping to get time to look into the layshaft and see what I can do to stop the spur gear carrier slipping on the shaft.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks