My first 1/5 build... Jeremy's Vekta

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went in my tool box and found a tiny 7mm wrench and used it to get the threads most of the way. I uses a bit of o-ring grease to lubricate the threads
I'm getting crafty... ball pusher tool🤣
20230218_172320.jpg20230218_173844.jpg

Last edited:
I actually contacted Kraken and sent my diff/gears and aluminum housing to them. They said the cut on the ring gears was not deep enough. They also said they are getting a fresh batch this week and will send me the new ones. It was a big batch of wrongly machined gears.
that is a correct statement. Kraken reached out to me via DDMSales, where I bought my Vekta.5. They said they did have a bad batch of ring gears and will send me out 2 new ones. Although, aside from the pinion to ring gear mesh, I don't know how it would fix the problem I am having with the lateral play that it exhibits. You can actually see it move in and out as the mesh gets tighter and looser. While waiting for the new ring gears, I also purchase two new diff cups to create two new diff setups. I will report back with my results soon.
thanks for the feedback!!

Or just do one diff at a time , that's what old people do , less to remember, and get a Taylor housing , guarantee there's no more problem , I've put 8 of them together so far , I'm no master mind , why do you think I drive these guys up the proverbial wall constantly 🤣 and all my diffs n gears are as smooth as banana cream pie ! "" I JUST WANNA GO HOME SIT IN MY LAZY LOUNGER AND HAVE SOME BANNANA CREAM PIE ! 😂😅🤣 Love that movie 👍👍👍

Last edited:
Best of luck to you, and if I had a crystal ball that saw into the future I have a feeling their fix isn't going to be something your gunna want to hear. They may even tell you that your going to have to stick with a plastic diff housing. Seeing how we eliminate kraken stock parts for aftermarket brands don't you think there's a reason for it? So no I don't have faith in them correcting your issue, you should want to find the answer to keep it away from them rather than send it.
I sent my diffs and aluminum housing to Kraken and received it back in the mail today. It was definitely the ring gears. The machining was incomplete, so they did not get machined deep enough. Kraken actually disassembled my diffs and reassembled them with the new ring gears before they sent them back to me. I would call that a successful customer service experience.
20230224_151706.jpg20230224_151653.jpgtop pic is new gear

Last edited:
Wow I had a hard time with the slipper assembly. I had to file both disc's to get them to fit on the shaft without the use of a hammer. The instru tons say to tighten all the way and back off a quarter turn... is this adequate or is there another recomendation?

20230304_094607.jpg

Well, I'll be on my way as soon as Kraken sends me a new screw... hard to torque a round slot.
20230304_130231.jpg

I have bought couple of kraken parts for my Baja and some of them needed grinding or some type of adjustment. Kraken is becoming really bad with quality control.

I have bought couple of kraken parts for my Baja and some of them needed grinding or some type of adjustment. Kraken is becoming really bad with quality control.
I sent them a message this morning and they already replied saying the replacement parts will be in the mail Monday.

I sent my diffs and aluminum housing to Kraken and received it back in the mail today. It was definitely the ring gears. The machining was incomplete, so they did not get machined deep enough. Kraken actually disassembled my diffs and reassembled them with the new ring gears before they sent them back to me. I would call that a successful customer service experience.
View attachment 85853View attachment 85855top pic is new gear
Update: kraken sent me two new ring fears
View attachment 85853View attachment 85855top pic is new gear
Just received my new replacement ring gears. I reassembled in the new aluminum housing, and they are flawless. Although I did have to add 2 small shims to the pinion to ring gear mesh cause it had a little slop on it. Aside from that, night and day difference. Finally can move on to the next steps.

The build is coming along nicely. Kraken send me replacement screws for the brakes. Man, this battery box seems a bit small to fit a battery, receiver, and killswitch in...might just stick the receiver to the top of the box
20230312_082520.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks