My new toy - tribute to a legend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doza28

I’ve been after one of these for a couple of years now. Missed one back in 2019 and I’ve kicked myself ever since. I should’ve just pulled the trigger but at the time my real car needed a lot of work and I couldn’t justify it. I even bought a spare decal set which I’d found in Germany in the hope I’d one day find one that needed a new body.
Recently acquired through a well known auction site, I picked this up needing a fair bit of work. Thankfully the body and overall car was in pretty good shape so the decals have remained in the packet!
Pleased to say the visual side of the resto is complete. I’ve now got a bundle of parts to fit to sort the chassis out.

As a Schumacher fan, I’m really pleased with how it looks. Even on display it looks awesome. The livery is based on his 2002 f2001b car that they ran for the first couple of races of that year while Ferrari got the testing miles on the new f2002.

The engine runs well despite the fact it’s been sat in a shed for 10 years. A bit of oil down the bore, a 990 carb, a spare tank and lines that I had lying around and some gaskets and it fired straight up after a few gentle pulls.
With lockdown in place for at least a few weeks, I doubt I’ll run it anytime soon, but wanted to share my progress.
Wings have been stripped and repainted, I’ve added details on the camera and rear exhaust area as well as gently lift and move decals around closer to their correct location as per the real car.

I managed to find a new in packet set of barge boards which really add that extra bit of detail.

Last picture is how I received it.

Attachments

• A0514394-8585-43B6-BF51-8D01E4A44080.jpeg
    A0514394-8585-43B6-BF51-8D01E4A44080.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 52
  • CB763FD1-53E0-4AFB-B6A2-C7214555F8ED.jpeg
    CB763FD1-53E0-4AFB-B6A2-C7214555F8ED.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 68FA49A4-5B9F-4797-B8E8-A4B881FE8DEB.jpeg
    68FA49A4-5B9F-4797-B8E8-A4B881FE8DEB.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 46
  • FB3CDF39-5D9F-4CE3-87A6-BECF5C2B5D4A.jpeg
    FB3CDF39-5D9F-4CE3-87A6-BECF5C2B5D4A.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 51
  • E4752E12-5C4C-4CFC-A4C2-B0240AAF8983.jpeg
    E4752E12-5C4C-4CFC-A4C2-B0240AAF8983.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 5A6DA3CA-F9B4-4E68-A494-F6353747F9EF.jpeg
    5A6DA3CA-F9B4-4E68-A494-F6353747F9EF.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 55
Very nice find! I'm not a huge onroad pilot, but I really appreciate the lines and geometry of an F1. Get some vid when you take her out. Can't wait to see it!
Thank you @AnubisBC

I did film the engine running but didn’t share that as it’s not that exciting lol. But I’ll definitely be filming it’s first run out.
My mate is also a big fan of Schumi so I’ve no doubt he will want to be there filming for me.

Beautiful car.
I love the detail.
Thank you Phill ?
Wow, cool car you have there, here in Germany we drive a lot of races with the F1 cars it looks very realistic. Have fun with your car.
Thank you Wolle.

ive seen a few videos from Germany of your races. Large scale on road seems very popular over there.
You also seem to have a lot of nice vintage models for sale too. My RSR came from germany when I bought it in 2018 from eBay kleinanzeigen ?

I’ve been after one of these for a couple of years now. Missed one back in 2019 and I’ve kicked myself ever since. I should’ve just pulled the trigger but at the time my real car needed a lot of work and I couldn’t justify it. I even bought a spare decal set which I’d found in Germany in the hope I’d one day find one that needed a new body.
Recently acquired through a well known auction site, I picked this up needing a fair bit of work. Thankfully the body and overall car was in pretty good shape so the decals have remained in the packet!
Pleased to say the visual side of the resto is complete. I’ve now got a bundle of parts to fit to sort the chassis out.

As a Schumacher fan, I’m really pleased with how it looks. Even on display it looks awesome. The livery is based on his 2002 f2001b car that they ran for the first couple of races of that year while Ferrari got the testing miles on the new f2002.

The engine runs well despite the fact it’s been sat in a shed for 10 years. A bit of oil down the bore, a 990 carb, a spare tank and lines that I had lying around and some gaskets and it fired straight up after a few gentle pulls.
With lockdown in place for at least a few weeks, I doubt I’ll run it anytime soon, but wanted to share my progress.
Wings have been stripped and repainted, I’ve added details on the camera and rear exhaust area as well as gently lift and move decals around closer to their correct location as per the real car.

I managed to find a new in packet set of barge boards which really add that extra bit of detail.

Last picture is how I received it.
I'm jealous awesome f1. Good luck with the restoration.

Makes me miss my FG F1, I loved building that car (and sold it for a ton of money, since they are hard to get here in US)
I did not make a mint, since I bought kit and had immense fun in the build. (I think I sold it for about 375.00 more than what I paid for it).
Granted, I took my time on that build. EVERY nut bolt I used correct threadlocker (blue for 90% of build, but most engine used red)
With some light upgrades, never bothered with hydraulic brakes (which person that bought it, really wanted)
Was not worth it for me.

Anyhow, I enjoy the builds more (most times) than the actual driving.
As building (with all my degrees & certificates) comes more natural to me. And helps with what some people call OCD.
I call it, a refresher time, to get my mind off anything that troubles me.

Anyhow, looks great. Enjoy (it really does make me want to get another one)(y):)
Get a pic with someone next to the car. Trying to imagine how big they are. I know my 5ive is huge.
Oh, they are longer than the 5.
I will have to dig out a pic of mine, when I built it. I had it standing up, and it came to my waist (I am 5' 7 1/2")
The wheelbase, and low center of gravity, is what these cars are all about. Handle cornering MUCH better than 5ive (by far), at much higher speeds...

EDIT: Plenty of vids of these at tracks across the world. I actually use to spend time in front of screen to just watch them.
Specially after I sold mine. Again, may buy another (or CNC the bulk of it, myself)
Now that I have a GREAT 3D printer (so I can do carbon fiber parts also), it is much more feasible for me to do. As parts, shipped from UK, get expensive.
Now that I can make ANY part I want/need. Is certainly a game changer, and may be why I get (build) another one. Very fun cars, IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks