new driver carb compare- 668 or 990?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig G.

Well, the main reason I went right to a 990 carb was John's enthusiasm for the 990. His enthusiasm period got me started here. I have to say this guy is responsible for getting ALOT of people on and running. Okay.
So after I got my car, I instantly only ran the 990. I wonder now, does the 668 deserve some run time? I mounted it up and will find out. It seems the 990 really kicks ass once the car is moving but sometimes seems hard to start. Maybe some experience with a choked carb would be good for a new driver like myself. What do you guys really think of this stock 668 compared to a modded 990?

No comparison for me on the stock 26cc motor. The 990 really woke that motor up. I'm running it on my OBR 34cc reed and I wouldn't even consider putting the 668 on it.

It's actually really easy to start a non-choked motor. Put your knee on the rear tire nearest the pull start. Slowly pull the cord five or so times (blup, blup, blup, per pull). Pull it just to the point where you feel the piston pass over top dead center. Then rip it 3 or 4 times. It should either start, or at least crackle by the 3rd or 4th pull. If it just crackles, pull a couple more times and she should turn over.

The important part is to pull it slowly a few times to get fuel in the case prior to ripping on the pullstart.

No comparison for me on the stock 26cc motor. The 990 really woke that motor up. I'm running it on my OBR 34cc reed and I wouldn't even consider putting the 668 on it.

It's actually really easy to start a non-choked motor. Put your knee on the rear tire nearest the pull start. Slowly pull the cord five or so times (blup, blup, blup, per pull). Pull it just to the point where you feel the piston pass over top dead center. Then rip it 3 or 4 times. It should either start, or at least crackle by the 3rd or 4th pull. If it just crackles, pull a couple more times and she should turn over.

The important part is to pull it slowly a few times to get fuel in the case prior to ripping on the pullstart.
Thank you my man, I will add that rad tip to my notes right now for next time!
Just buy an 1107 , if you want a choke and something that will start in 2 or 3 pulls. Anubis is accurate with the lack of comparison between the 668 and 990.
Thank you, I have an 1107 here already, that might be a rad carb for sand dunes!
I got so used to running a 990 on an ESP that when I bought a Scott Finlay with a 1107, I never used the choke on it anyway. What Anubis says works every time.
Thank you, the 668 is on there now, I might try it just for fun and comparison!

Last edited:
Thank you, the 668 is on there now, I might try it just for fun and comparison!

It's always good to start from the bottom and move your way up. It will provide a very good basis for comparison.

Run that 668 for a good tank or two. You might immediately feel a difference right out of the gate. But after a bit you'll get used to it. Then plop the 1107 or 990 on and hit the same spot. Let us know if you feel the difference between the carbs. I'm betting you will, but performance is highly subjective out in the field without any basis of comparison.

Either way, if you're enjoying yourself, no one here can dispute it, regardless of your gear. Having fun is the name of the game!

It's always good to start from the bottom and move your way up. It will provide a very good basis for comparison.

Run that 668 for a good tank or two. You might immediately feel a difference right out of the gate. But after a bit you'll get used to it. Then plop the 1107 or 990 on and hit the same spot. Let us know if you feel the difference between the carbs. I'm betting you will, but performance is highly subjective out in the field without any basis of comparison.

Either way, if you're enjoying yourself, no one here can dispute it, regardless of your gear. Having fun is the name of the game!
Thanks man, you got that right! I'm stoked to try the stock carb now, just to see the results!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks